Gannon And The Press

steelboy

See, I know where you're coming from there, Haggis.

I like the word "Reporter". It implies that your job is to report the events that happen to be newsworthy. That's the way 'papers used to be. Now the opening couple of paragraphs detail what's actually happened, there's a sensationalist headline in bold above it to get folk to buy the rag, and then the rest of the article gives an opinion on said event. It's a lot of pish. I am no more interested in the opinion of someone with a journalism degree than I am in the opinion of a random down the pub.

• Replies 393
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You sticking up for tired old hacks ahead of Gannon now? FFS fitba's tribal, it's us against them and journos are one of the most hated enemies of fitba' fans but you put your dislike of our manager ahead of that?

i'm not sticking up for any hacks, i'm just saying what i believe. jim gannon thinks only people involved in professional football are properly qualified to comment on it, i disagree. if any other spl manager had made the same comments my opinion wouldn't have been any different. surely having a bit of consistency of thought and an independent opinion is better than just falling into a mindless tribalism. i don't see it as us versus them, i'll make my own mind up. the us versus them attitude gets you into situations where there's a big group of boys at tynecaslte in august 08 with banners praising mark mcghee yet at pittodrie one year later they same folk are chanting about how much they hate him, in other words it's stupid.

i will stick up for some hacks. there are guys like traynor, keevins, speirs and jackson that have no interest in what goes on the park and are only interested in the soap opera side of things. but there are a good few - parks, mccarthy and cameron at the record and devlin and ralston at the sun - that show a real interest in the non OF clubs and players. there are a few people amongst our suppport who are trying to climb the ladder in football journalism, would they suddenly become pricks if they landed a plum job at the sun, record or herald?

again i don't dislike our manager. i'm actually starting to like him a lot more now he's juked the one up front and a lot of the suicidal passing in front of our 18 yard box, put murphy in the the centre and has realised forbes can't play more than an hour, funny that. however as i said before he's here to win football games for motherwell not put scottish football to rights. he's came up to this country after a fairly non descript playing and management career elsewhere and he seems to think he has the answer to every problem in scottish football. how would 'well fans react if it was the new boss of another club who was coming out with all this?

things are getting better on the park, we look dangerous going forward and we'll get better at defending leads. what's the need to start fueds with the press and referees? we've had everything going off refs in scotland this season, 6 pens for none against, no well players sent off but seven opponents seeing red. that's a massive advantage to us, why the moaning?

Who's moaning, the guys telling it like it is. He's right FFS, you're just picking faults for the sake of it far as I can see. Maybe you want to be the one to turn round in a couple of years time when everybody hates him to say "See told you so". Certainly seems that way from this angle cos you pick on everthing he says or does and put a negative slant on it.

Anyway you've wasted enough of my time, just shout "Fuck off Gannon" after the game on Saturday so's everyone knows who you are.

From what I witnessed last week, its not just fitbaw journo's that make shite up. A contract Im working on just now put out a press release last week. I read the official release, and I have since read 3 different papers taking the release and adding on whatever they felt like to the story, most of it was pretty unfounded. The majority of it will bear absolutley no resemblence to any final recomendations I make. However now the press have ran with nonsence, the public will have an expectation.

Just to re-iterate, it wasn't a football story/issue.

http://www.motherwellfc.co.uk/index.php?op...&Itemid=133

Club Statement

Wednesday, 02 December 2009

From Jim Gannon

Jim Gannon has released the following statement dated Wednesday 2nd December 2009.

“I am disappointed by the comments made by Mr Hugh Dallas of the Scottish Football Association and an unnamed spokesman representing the SFA, in which they question the honesty and integrity of my post match statements on Saturday 28 November 2009.

“I have written to Mr Hugh Dallas and Mr Gordon Smith, as the Chief Executive of the Scottish Football Association, to seek some clarity on this matter.

“I once again reiterate that two separate letters of complaint regarding the standard of Referees were sent to Mr Hugh Dallas, in his role as Head of Referee Department of the SFA, dated 21 September 2009 and 19 November 2009.

“Both parties have been furnished with a copy of each of the two letters for their records. I will await their explanation, and any evidence they have to support their position, before further public comment.”

am I the only one fearing a media/SFA backlash against Motherwell Fc ?

I now fear the worst with back to back old firm games coming up that we are gonna get no decisions going our way ..... or is that just par for the course against them ??

Do any of the Nationals actually give us anything like decent coverage - I suspect no big loss really.

SFA backlash may well depend on who is found to be playing games....if Gannon is innocent then a backlash would be unlikely!

The plot thickens eh?

I wouldn't have thought Hugh Dallas would have been the sort of person to come out and say he'd responded to Gannon's letters when he hadn't. <_<

But then the twice Gannon has commented - he's outlined what the alleged letters contained.

When Dallas responded - he said that he 'had responded'.

I just with our manager would stick to his job.

Seems a tad to eager to upset people.

he's responsible for the style of football we play and achieving results for MFC.

If he feels the standard of refereeing is hampering the game, making it poor fare to watch and having an effect on results then surely he's within his rights to say what he likes.

he's also saying that he's only going public now since he's recieved no response.

I'm with gannon.

he's responsible for the style of football we play and achieving results for MFC.

If he feels the standard of refereeing is hampering the game, making it poor fare to watch and having an effect on results then surely he's within his rights to say what he likes.

I'm with gannon.

I bet after he's watched the offside goal again, his beliefs have only been re-inforced that the officials are generally poor. If Gannon feels we have been done over then I am happy for him to voice his thoughts through the right channels.

I'm with Gannon

But then the twice Gannon has commented - he's outlined what the alleged letters contained.

When Dallas responded - he said that he 'had responded'.

He's since expanded on that saying he responded by asking for clarification. So, basically, he didn't address JG's points.

he's also saying that he's only going public now since he's recieved no response.

I'm with gannon.

+1

Someone is a lying b*stard and if it is Dallas, then surely his position would be untenable. Be interested to hear the response from Dallas.

I've not listened to Dallas's interview but I assume that if Gannon sent letters then Dallas would be send letters in reply. After that, anything could have happened that doesn't involve people lying: letter lost in the post, girl in SFA mail room making a mistake with label etc. This tit for tat nonsense via the media doesn't get anyone anywhere and they all end up looking a bit childish. Quite entertaining though!

so he sent letters after the dundee united away game and the accies game. i'd guess the complaint at tannadice would be regarding the tackle on hammell in the second half and the accies game regarding time wasting and the amount of added time on. both of them are valid complaints but neither is anything out of the ordinary in the context of our average season. the match that i thought was the worst officiated was hibs when they commited 21 fouls to our 6 but we both got two bookings.

i'd say we've had more off refs this season than we've ever had before, the way cards are being dished out this season suits us as it punishes the types of challenges our players generally don't make. when butcher was the manager he never commented about refs even when we had some terrible decisions against us. for all their greeting over the years what have levien, reid, jeffries and macpherson gained from it?

just like the comments about players not earning their wages, the ones about scotland and scottish football and the ones about the media i can't see what advantage we can get from them or how anything positive will come of them. hugh dallas lives about 100 yards from where we train, surely this could be very easily sorted out without the need for the media or internet statements?

i thought was the worst officiated was hibs when they commited 21 fouls to our 6 but we both got two bookings.

Number of fouls doesn't matter - well if it does if one player is persistently fouling and, yeah, he should then get a yellow - but if you commit a bookable offense with your only foul of the game then you should rightly be given a yellow card.

I think Gannon would get into more bother if he tried to approach Dallas unofficially. The point is referees are or should be accountable for their decisions yet criticise one, managers may end up being fined. I'm with Gannon, if there's a backlash then it just shows how unfair the system has become and well done for putting the statement out through official channels rather than the press.