Gannon And The Press

steelboy

I will say that I'm not criticising Jim Gannon for it, it concerns me however knowing his history of refusing to speak to certain parties that he hasn't even been able to speak to the official site.

Maybe it's an indicator that he doesn't think Flow's doing his job either and that he's going to get a youngster in to do the official site :P

• Replies 393
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will say that I'm not criticising Jim Gannon for it, it concerns me however knowing his history of refusing to speak to certain parties that he hasn't even been able to speak to the official site.

International week, notoriously slow news week. That and the fact he's spending a few days in the confines of family :whistling:

“The reason why I didn’t speak to the press was because I was really disappointed with the coverage we got leading up to the game,” he said.

“In particular, one organisation had spun a story about me telling players they could leave which wasn’t the case. Other press then ran with the story, adding statements saying I had told players they could go and started naming names which I felt was totally disrespectful to me and the players involved.

“Some of the players they named have been extremely good professionals or have been injured and have been working really hard to show they’ve got a career here at the club.

“I think it was out of order to paraphrase me and I felt if they are going to be that disrespectful to me, the players and the club then perhaps they shouldn’t get my respect sharing my pre and post match time and thoughts."

Well said Jim.

Looks like for once on these boards we have put 2 and 2 together and got 4. I still don't think he has much grounds for complaint for although he did not name players individually, when you have a small squad and can rule out the players who are on the team sheet, it leaves a very small group of players who will have felt that the comments were aimed at them.

The only way that he can be given the benifit of the doubt is if we assume that he was talking about a football club in a general sense rather than Motherwell specifically i.e at any club you would be looking to move on players that are not earning their wages.

Having said this, for me it is one mistake in what has been a flawless start to the season so really pleased to hear him dampen down speculation about a possible move. I have a sense of future about the club that I have not had for some time. Good time to be a Well fan.

As a manager, your there to do the best job possible for the club and that’s the same for the players too.

“Obviously everyone wants to look good but ultimately your there to win games for the club.

Don't mean to be picky. It's a good article but it's on the official website so is it really too much to ask for it to be grammatically correct? It's just editorial professionalism and it really doesn't look good.

Looks like for once on these boards we have put 2 and 2 together and got 4. I still don't think he has much grounds for complaint for although he did not name players individually, when you have a small squad and can rule out the players who are on the team sheet, it leaves a very small group of players who will have felt that the comments were aimed at them.

The only way that he can be given the benifit of the doubt is if we assume that he was talking about a football club in a general sense rather than Motherwell specifically i.e at any club you would be looking to move on players that are not earning their wages.

Having said this, for me it is one mistake in what has been a flawless start to the season so really pleased to hear him dampen down speculation about a possible move. I have a sense of future about the club that I have not had for some time. Good time to be a Well fan.

:D Whit? He's told it like it is, explained his actions fully, but, hey, don't you let the facts get in the way of some mock congratulations and the real deal.

FAO SteveDiggle, lo and behold another pant wetter :lol:

:doh: Whit? He's told it like it is, explained his actions fully, but, hey, don't you let the facts get in the way of some mock congratulations and the real deal.

FAO SteveDiggle, lo and behold another pant wetter :thumbup:

Don't understand your outrage. What I am saying is that the speculation as to why he did not talk to the press pretty much hit the mark this time round. I am also saying that Gannon has had an excellent season but for a minor mistake. Sorry for the offence.

Is a pant wetter someone who hits his head off walls and displays mock outrage? Have not heard the term before.

I have always been a medium to long-term thinker. There’s no point making a good start or having one good season. You’ve got to build on that and that means investing in young players, coaching them, taking a longer term view and you then know you’re growing something over time that will reap rewards.

Are you watching Mark Mcghee?

:thumbup: Whit? He's told it like it is, explained his actions fully, but, hey, don't you let the facts get in the way of some mock congratulations and the real deal.

i started the thread because i thought that the reason he was dingying the press was because his comments and the coverage generated by them by had went down badly within the squad.

as jim says.

“Naturally enough when you’re a manager, some players don’t always come and speak to you personally to understand your thinking or what is going through your mind so when they pick up an article like that then obviously it may worry them."

which i would say means i wasn't a million miles away.

if he actually was suprised and disapointed that scottish football journalists jumped on the comments he made and hyped them up then he's a lot more naive than i imagined. i don't think anyone on here would have been suprised by the effects those comments had, the scottish media are as nothing if not predictable (and c***s)

i started the thread because i thought that the reason he was dingying the press was because his comments and the coverage generated by them by had went down badly within the squad.

as jim says.

"Naturally enough when you're a manager, some players don't always come and speak to you personally to understand your thinking or what is going through your mind so when they pick up an article like that then obviously it may worry them."

which i would say means i wasn't a million miles away.

if he actually was suprised and disapointed that scottish football journalists jumped on the comments he made and hyped them up then he's a lot more naive than i imagined. i don't think anyone on here would have been suprised by the effects those comments had, the scottish media are as nothing if not predictable (and c***s)

The more important question seems to be Steelboy 'Would SteveDiggle approve of you starting this thread?' I think some of us need to take a long hard look at ourselves as see if we pass the SteveDiggle test.

Are you watching Mark Mcghee?

If Mark McGhee taught us anything surely it was that talk is cheap ?

Jim Gannon may well be the Saint of Stockport but many on here claim to know for a "FACT" that he's super loyal , here for the long haul , wont leave us until he's built something. A fact they seem to have picked up from other posters on here :thumbup:

He's mainly built a side of loans and short termers , if he gets an offer he cant refuse in January (heaven forbid) the same voices will be those berating him loudest for leaving us in a similar state to McGhee.

Im with Steelboy , tell the media certain players arent earning their wages and will be moved on then act flabbergasted when they speculate as to who ?

Good job so far Jim , though i wouldnt read this board if i were you if we go on a bad run and you spit the dummy like that again with the media !

The more important question seems to be Steelboy 'Would SteveDiggle approve of you starting this thread?' I think some of us need to take a long hard look at ourselves as see if we pass the SteveDiggle test.

what's the stevediggle test? :thumbup:

if you meant the onthefringes test my barnet bars me from even entering the exam hall.

Don't understand your outrage. What I am saying is that the speculation as to why he did not talk to the press pretty much hit the mark this time round. I am also saying that Gannon has had an excellent season but for a minor mistake. Sorry for the offence.

You wouldn't, another sycophant. Big wow wee! You've stated what even those who attended the remedial class had grasped. Shame the fact he was pissed at not taking three points didn't suit your agenda... Perhaps the majority of pant wetters (twice tonight SteveDiggle) who contributed will cease speculation and spurious allegation just because they didn't get their fix scrutinising everything he may or may not have said?

if you meant the onthefringes test my barnet bars me from even entering the exam hall.

:thumbup: You're learning... scruff.

Did Mcghee ever plan for the club's future? nope

Well he brought on Saunders and Murphy , dunno how instrumental he was in bringing Page and Hutchison in , did he get Reynolds to extend a contract ? He sent Forbes out to gain experience.

Dont know how many signing on fee's or what wages he paid to single year contract signers or if he spent as much on wages for loans as he says we are paying the Pole now.

He's still a c**t mind you , just saything that ive seen no evidence that he's any less loyal than Gannon so far, not so long ago McGhee had the same status of piety as Gannon is enjoying now and look how that ended up ...

Maybe he thought naively that being journalists, they'd be able to read. The fact that the two names that the BBC mentioned were Craigan and Lasley, guys who have for the most part been listed in the 18 man squad every Saturday is maybe what pissed him off. If they'd mentioned McGarry, he might have been fine with it...

Well he brought on Saunders and Murphy , dunno how instrumental he was in bringing Page and Hutchison in , did he get Reynolds to extend a contract ? He sent Forbes out to gain experience.

Dont know how many signing on fee's or what wages he paid to single year contract signers or if he spent as much on wages for loans as he says we are paying the Pole now.

He's still a c**t mind you , just saything that ive seen no evidence that he's any less loyal than Gannon so far, not so long ago McGhee had the same status of piety as Gannon is enjoying now and look how that ended up ...

Let me start by saying i have no hard feelings towards McGhee and enjoyed his two seasons in charge but in response to the above....

I doubt he would have had any involvement in bringing in Page & Hutchison as surely the guys in the Youth Development will have scouted and signed them. He may have given the youth guys a shopping-list for players/positions at most.

He continued to play Sheridan, Malcolm, Hughes etc who we aww knew were leaving at the end of the season and at a time when we had nowt to play for. This was the ideal time to field more of the younger lads, who have broken through this season.

We might be paying the Pole a huge wage but at the same time, we're no longer paying the wages of Hughes, Malcolm, Smith, McLean, Porter and Clarkson, all of whom would be on much larger wages than the current crop of first team stars.

For me, the big test of Gannon's management skills is now about getting older & experienced first-team players who are catching the eyes of other clubs (O'Brien & Reynolds) to sign new deals. I haven't seen a Motherwell manager do this since McLean.

How can Gannon's loyalty be questioned so far? He's never once mentioned leaving the club for new pastures and his press interviews suggests he's thinking long-term rather than short. He's also acted quickly and signed up our young stars on longer contracts.

For me, the big test of Gannon's management skills is now about getting older & experienced first-team players who are catching the eyes of other clubs (O'Brien & Reynolds) to sign new deals. I haven't seen a Motherwell manager do this since McLean.

Solid post their IWG - and I couldn't agree more with all of what you said.

Signing up our more experienced, established players would be a real statement of intent from Gannon and the club in terms of ambition - and I include Hately and Coke in this as well. However, in this day and age where football is run by money I see it being an impossible task. If we can keep the core of this squad, maybe get Ruddy, Yass or the Duke on permanent deals plus get O'Brien, Slane and Reynolds commited to the club then I think, under Gannon, we have a incredibly bright future.

The impact Gannon and the team have made this season has been incredible and something most 'Well fans could never have expected after our squad was decimated in the summer...

However, the thing that strikes me is we can only get better! Our young guns will mature and develop with more time, our team will get better adapted to each other and IF we can keep that nucleus of the team together - plus add a few new faces - then there is no reason why we shouldn't be consistantly pushing for 3rd and even some Cup success.

And there will come a time with every young player or talented player, when their performances and ambition, will attract interest from other clubs, and I feel it's imperitive we have deals in place so we can command good money for them to invest in the prospects of tomorrow. This applies to Gannon too - Gordon Young as well.

I'm excited about all that is going on at the club just now and I really believe it is the dawn of a bright future for us....

....just hope I'm not proved wrong!

Having read JG's comments on the official site now, I conclude he was naive to say to camera when questioned on who might leave - "well just look at the team sheet". So evetone, media and fans did and came up with a few names that weren't playing regularly. I like JG's style of keeping quiet about incoming players until they're actually signed. It might be a good idea if he adopts the same approach for the out going players too.