Jim O'brien

cossiemfc

Bought the Daily Star today. One the pack page there is an exclusive by Scott Burns reporting that Mark McGhee will approach Jim on a pre contract in Janaury. It also reports that several of Motherwells experienced players are unhappy under Gannon. McGhee is also preparing to bid for Jim Patterson.

Doubt how true the story is, since the The Daily Star is reporting it. Would be a big loss if Jim leaves, who will win the penalties for us :doh::lol:

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Express article is exactly the same.

I think O'Brien has improved considerably under Gannon and although McGhee brought him from Celtic - he also left him out in the cold for a while and impacted his confidence and its only really this season that we've seen what we can do.

It was always a risk that O'Brien would move on given that his contract is up in the summer.

the article appears to be mixing it up a wee bit though - similar to the Porter to Hearts debacle last year just befor the Jambo's visited. (lets hope we have a similar type of outcome this year) also more talk of unrest with the senior players. I don't see O'brien being unhappy though as he appears to be a virtual stick on for the team sheet.

If he goes, regardless of what many 'Well fans still say (i.e. he's no that good), he'll be a miss - a load of our goals this season have come from free kicks an pens he has won, his work ethic is bang on and some of his general play is great to watch.

For now, I'm just seeing this as media speculation. It will be over the next few weeks that JOB will discuss his future with JG. Given his creative contribution and work rate to the team, I believe JG will offer him a contract.

I can't see Aberdeen offering anything better than Motherwell. The only sort of offer that should tempt him away now will be from England - eg. a deal like Rosco's. But right now, I don't think JOB's got the same credentials as Rosco. Look at Clarkson warming the bench at Bristol. If JOB was to work with JG for another 12-18 months, he could develop into a serious prospect for the Premiership or Championship.

I'm not surprised in the slightest to see O'Brien "allegedly" linked with McGhee and it is a worry he will leave at the end of his contract. Would Aberdeen be able to offer him more money/better football though?

Totally agree with Diggle....

If he goes, regardless of what many 'Well fans still say (i.e. he's no that good), he'll be a miss - a load of our goals this season have come from free kicks an pens he has won, his work ethic is bang on and some of his general play is great to watch.

If he does sign a pre-contract with Aberdeen I would however employ Butchers tactic of not playing him again.

Interesting that there are no quotes from either party and it just occurred to me that Gannons possible "huff" with the media could stem from this recurring story of (senior) players falling out/being unhappy with him. I'm pretty sure Mensing, Kinniburgh, Corrigan and maybe even Lasley would've been unhappy with McGhee due to being frozen out, and no stories of "rifts", which were equally, if not more likely were in every second story relating to Motherwell back then.

I dont think he'll go to the sheep, he seems to like it here and as previously said he's a first name on team sheet material.

I think Jim should stay till the summer though, if he keeps playing the way he is for us, he'll get bigger than Aberdeen, he'll get a move down south and financial stability for the rest of his life.

The grass isnt greener at Aberdeen just ask a certain Mr Derek Adams and Ms Stevie Craig.

With regards the alleged "experienced" players being in the huff - i'd rather keep Gannon and pump the "experienced" players oot the door. Everyone is replaceable!!!

Anyway it's just the media playing mind-games with us because they know we're winning the League next season!!! :lol:

No direct quotes from either party but as they say, no smoke without fire!

I dont think we need worry about this just now. Regardless we have O'Brien till the end of the season and if he goes in January we will be due a bit of money for him!

With regards the alleged "experienced" players being in the huff - i'd rather keep Gannon and pump the "experienced" players oot the door. Everyone is replaceable!!!

Anyway it's just the media playing mind-games with us because they know we're winning the League next season!!! :lol:

Exactly. What experienced players do we have anyway? Craigan, Lasley, Hammil and Reynolds. Can't see Reynolds being in the huff, Hammil has played well. If Craigan and Lasley were to go, it wouldn't really be the end of the world. Although I would rather they both stayed in the squad.

As for JOB. I think he's been great this season, but after how close we were to the bare bones at the start of July, Gannon has put together a decent team. Im not really worried about any of the players leaving as Im hoping Gannon will pull more irons out the fire.

to be fair, Craigan's no doubt been asked if he's happy being out of the team, and he'll have said no. He's not exactly going to be happy he's out the team, but he strikes me as the sort of player who's not going to rest and take it lying down.

JOB could be away but from what I know he is happy for the moment, Reynolds is almost certain to leave in January and this will release money for new players, Craigan, Lasley and McGarry don't get on with Gannon and could all be on the move. But it is all unconfirmed facts and pure speculation. Damn that sounds like a journo :lol:

I think all McGhee's players were damned by faint praise when he was at Motherwell, he never did seem to go over the top on praising players. I would be surprised if he went to Aberdeen, they don't seem to have much more money than us at the moment, and it would very much be a sideways step! I think O'Brien has been fantastic in 2009, but I really hope we could get him signed, and he'd show some loyalty to the club who gave him the second chance.

I don't think its that much of a surprise if McGhee's interest in O'Brien and indeed Paterson for matter. If he's as strapped for cash as he was making out earlier in the season then it makes sense to go for players you know and that can do a job for you, rather than taking a gamble on an unknown.

There is ofcourse the chance that its all a bit of a smokescreen aimed at putting O'Brien off his game when we play them next week. With his good rapport with the media I don't doubt there will have been one or two journos happy to take a wee bit of gossip from a suitability informed source and run with it.

I don't recall any mention of contract talks with O'Brien so it will be interesting to see if there is anything ongoing that we don't know about or if it forces the club's hand any. I quite like the idea of Gannon's Thursday press conference next week opening with news of O'Brien's new contract at Fir Park!

from all the talk and Crag's comments on the Alba re-run, you could easily see us offloading Las, McGarry, DLS, Fizzy and Crags of course. Add in Hammell, JOB and Slane being out of contract and Reynolds looking likely to go soon, we would be left with very little squad at all.

Rudd, Yass and Lukaz only here til January Coke and Jenno only one year deals too, the long term outlook seems precarious. Obviously you'd hope many of the above will stay on at least til the seasons end but the signings in January take on extra importance with the amount of players that conceivably will be on there way.

At least with Hutch, Saunders, Forbes, Humph and Sutt on board for a while our fives team still looks pretty handy! :P

JGMA

...he also left him out in the cold for a while and impacted his confidence and its only really this season that we've seen what we can do.

I'm not so sure about that. O'Brien has stated a few times that McGhee really helped him mature as a player and changed his whole attitude on the pitch. By the sounds of it took some harsh words from McGhee to take him from playing like a schoolboy (playing for himself and slating anyone who fucked up) to a real team player and it seems Jim is grateful for that.

We'd miss him if he went.