January Transfer Window

WilliePettigrew

Too many punters on here act like daft wee lassies who’ve just been dumped for a burd with bigger tits every time a player moves on.

:lol::lol::lol:

In Slane's defence, if your at Alloa just made the first team, played a handful appearances and suddenly you realise Motherwell are knocking at your door, your boyhood hero's, you're not gonna turn them down.

• Replies 793
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like BSH's analogy, too many people take these things personally. If we expect players to "do their job" on the pitch, then we should also allow them to treat it like a job and move on when a better offer is available. It's easy to tell Slane to hang around here and get his move in a few years time, but what if he suffers a serious injury in that time? Football is a short career as it is.

He is gonna be a 1st team player for us + will go from YTS to 1st team wages. At Celtic he will go from YTS to Youth/Prospect wages which arent gonna be much different to what we will give him,or maybe he is worried about injuries + that why he is gonna go to Celtic, cause he has fuck all chance of regular footie with them so injuries wont happen.

He should look at Josh Thompson as an example, they signed him for £500k in the summer from Stockport,18 yo,rated one of/the best young centre backs in england and in a season where their defence has been injury hit,short + generally shite,how many games has he had? 0?

Sky Sports

Brown has said he knows nothing of pre-contract...

... but on the other hand, if Celtic did announce they have him on a pre-contract, they would be admitting that they have breached the terms of McCart's release. Sure even though he won't technically sign until his contract is up, he has still been approached and agreed terms before then, so they are foul of any agreement with Motherwell. :lol:

Edit: We will get a develompment fee at a tribunal anyway... I would be highlighting the figures involved in the sales of McFadden, Clarkson etc at that

I would leave the wee arse out of all training from now until the summer, and not allow him to kick a ball even at 19's level if the information that we are getting is true. History shows that he'd be far better off trying to make teh breakthrough at Motherwell than fannying about at Celtic for the next 4 years before getting punted out on loan to St Johnstone or some other shite.

He is gonna be a 1st team player for us + will go from YTS to 1st team wages. At Celtic he will go from YTS to Youth/Prospect wages which arent gonna be much different to what we will give him,or maybe he is worried about injuries + that why he is gonna go to Celtic, cause he has fuck all chance of regular footie with them so injuries wont happen.

I'd wager different, in fact I'd put the house on that being wrong :lol:

The future of our club depends upon getting money into the club from the young players we develop.

Motherwell appear to have fucked up big time for not tying the contract up when he played in the first few friendlies under Mcghee. Paul Slane has the potential to bring us over a million in years to come.

I'm cool if everyone is all for letting promising players get shite advice - run their contracts down and piss off for peanuts (and btw rest assured the compo will be peanuts).

Downside to that is we'll be bankrupt and won't have a team to watch in the future.

Motherwell appear to have fucked up big time for not tying the contract up when he played in the first few friendlies under Mcghee. Paul Slane has the potential to bring us over a million in years to come.

Exactly. Like it or not our club are at fault here not some daft wee boy who's had shiny baubles dangled in front of him.

If it's true that he's still on a YTS contract then that's a fucking disgrace and nobody can be surprised if he's decided to move to a bigger employer offering him a lot more.

Motherwells previous manager fucked up by not signing him on a full contract last season, who was that? oh aye Mutley,the same guy who was wanting to take him for pennies to Celtic when he got their manager job! The club then offered him a new contract which has been refused since the summer, Dont think the club have fucked up as much as theyve been fucked over!!!!

Exactly. Like it or not our club are at fault here not some daft wee boy who's had shiny baubles dangled in front of him.

If it's true that he's still on a YTS contract then that's a fucking disgrace and nobody can be surprised if he's decided to move to a bigger employer offering him a lot more.

So, by spurious claims... Motherwell haven't tried, and tried, and tried to get a new deal sorted, (remember most of our other youngsters have been tied down) but, if someone makes demands, the club meets them, yet still doesn't want to sign I'd suspect you know what you're dealing with? Let's not let the facts get in the way of usual board agenda gentlemen. :lol:

Strangely, employment law doesn't accept a signature where the player has been physically restrained and forced to sign. If he didn't want to agree a new contract then there wouldn't have been a lot the club could have done about it. It could still all be rumours of course.

So are we gonna agree another month loan each day until we get them till the end of the season? lol, seems strange surely now we have them till end jan,the next deal should either be till end of season,or if theyre away,looking for guys to replace them for the rest of the season?

Without knowing the facts, my instincts tell me that McGhee is the one that has fucked us over.

Slane should have been offered a professional contract during McGhee's 2nd year. As we all know, McGhee had his eyes on another job and was more than likely, trying to pull a fly one. Since then, Slane has had his head turned and it would appear that he has his heart set on running down his YTS so that he could move to Celtic this summer.

For once, the only blame you can direct towards Motherwell is that too much faith was placed in McGhee.

All so that Celtic can then nip in and steal him for nothing or next to fuck all, and thats all ok cause he is a Celtic fan.

He is being badly advised and McCart is a wank.

This kind of thing happens to clubs all over Europe all the time, so why should we be any different?

In fact, i'm fairly certain that there have been instances of us doing exactly the same thing to smaller clubs as well.

Like someone said, if he moves to Celtic, he'll likely get a bonus for signing, plus more wages than he'll get from us.

I can't see where he's being badly advised there.

This kind of thing happens to clubs all over Europe all the time, so why should we be any different?

In fact, i'm fairly certain that there have been instances of us doing exactly the same thing to smaller clubs as well.

Like someone said, if he moves to Celtic, he'll likely get a bonus for signing, plus more wages than he'll get from us.

I can't see where he's being badly advised there.

Agreed. As for the "stay and continue your development" line, pish. Celtic will have far better coaches etc on board and he'll get regular friendlies etc, and play with better players and learn a lot more there than he will here.

My only gripe is that if the rumours are true, and he's been a wee dick about it and shat on MFC, then he's a wee c**t. IF the rumours are true.

Slane has every right to see out his contract and move to Celtic if he wants. Unfortunately, the most likely scenario is that if he were to go he would languish in their U19s for a couple of years before either being released or warming the bench. There's no way he would be straight onto a first team contract there so he's likely to not be getting that much more than he would by signing a first team deal with us.

We all know that if he were to sign a 1st team deal with us and turn in some great performances then he could get a bumper move down south, however the lure to join Celtic may be too much for him/his advisor to resist.

But, at this point it's all smoke and mirrors. Hopefully he's not signed as I'd like to see what he can do in a Well shirt. If he has, then we'll maybe see you in a few years Paul. The only people who really know at the moment are Paul Slane and Chris McCart.

So, by spurious claims... Motherwell haven't tried, and tried, and tried to get a new deal sorted, (remember most of our other youngsters have been tied down) but, if someone makes demands, the club meets them, yet still doesn't want to sign I'd suspect you know what you're dealing with? Let's not let the facts get in the way of usual board agenda gentlemen. :woop:

Folk are arguing both sides of an argument here OTF - nobodys getting life threatening injuries in the process - why can you not let it go? let folk have their say mate.

The situation seems to have been leaked accurately since day 1 and I don't think anyone said anywhere that Motherwell haven't tried to keep him - however McGhee appears to have gone from heralding "the new Robbie Keane" (his words not mine) in his first few friendlies to someone he was about to let go for 40K in the weeks before he moved on.

Give Gannon credit for trying to keep him.

I've said on numerous occasions we need to be more creative in this - we need to be 100% fair with the youths that we sign - but these contracts can be loaded with options - whereby if they show promise the club can automatically upgrade their Ts and Cs within the timeframe and pay them more - making us a more attractive proposition for a young talented guy and at the same time building in a bit of a safegaurd against 'poaching' or 'head turning'.

We, as a club, need to sit down and look at this to stop us being screwed over.

Agreed. As for the "stay and continue your development" line, pish. Celtic will have far better coaches etc on board and he'll get regular friendlies etc, and play with better players and learn a lot more there than he will here.

My only gripe is that if the rumours are true, and he's been a wee dick about it and shat on MFC, then he's a wee c**t. IF the rumours are true.

Can't agree with that for a second.

Look at some of the 'youngsters' at Celtic who have never had a real chance. Caddis, O'Dea, Flood of the current lot, then there are hundreds of other players who were supposedly the next big thing but had never broken through by the age of 21 ie Michael McGlinchey, Jim O'Brien etc etc etc etc.

Any youngster will learn more at Motherwell playing first team football than playing 'friendlies' or reserve team football for Celtic.

Folk are arguing both sides of an argument here OTF - nobodys getting life threatening injuries in the process - why can you not let it go? let folk have their say mate.

Understanding of that, not the point I was trying to make at all.

All this talk about the club failing to get exceptional youth players tied down is a lot of rubbish. If the player in question has had his head turned, legally or otherwise, you can offer him all the money and make him all the promises in the world, he just won't sign.

As for leaking accurately since day 1, maybe to suit the usual pant wetters... you've got me saying that again... Just feel as others do, in failing to understand how the club are taking the flack from the fans when if they knew the truth, likely it would be Slane himself (and the Shettleston Harriers) who would be getting slaughtered.

There's a whole load more to this than meets the eye :woop: (Burger jokes aside) I await the truth with relish