January Transfer Window

WilliePettigrew

• Replies 793
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is the gaffers thoughts.

"I've heard rumours to that effect but Paul has been ill the last couple of days, genuinely," Brown said.

"Hopefully he will be back today and we can have a chat with him.

"We haven't had any contact from Celtic Football Club and I do think that they would have the courtesy to phone and say to someone in the club that they were going to put one of our players on a pre-contract.

"So I would think it's most unlike Celtic. I would think that's the rumour factory in operation."

Here is the gaffers thoughts.

"I've heard rumours to that effect but Paul has been ill the last couple of days, genuinely," Brown said.

"Hopefully he will be back today and we can have a chat with him.

"We haven't had any contact from Celtic Football Club and I do think that they would have the courtesy to phone and say to someone in the club that they were going to put one of our players on a pre-contract.

"So I would think it's most unlike Celtic. I would think that's the rumour factory in operation."

A bit naive? Celtic FC dont give a fcuk what MFC think.

The best thing for the boy would surely be staying at Motherwell for a couple of seasons and establishing himself in the team. If he continues to progress and a bigger club wants him, then a nice cheque clinches the transfer and everyone's a winner. It would be a huge risk to move on so soon into his career, the danger being he will vanish altogether, never achieving his potential. He has all the time he needs to step up, and I really hope those around him are sensible.

Bottom line here is that alarm bells should be ringing all over the place at the ark. The club can't afford to have any promising player from youth development move on for buttons.

I'm pretty sure that all at Fir Park including Wee Craig know exactly what the current situation is with Slane and McCart is just a phone call away. And if Slane does move on the statement he made will make the club look a bit naive / silly.

However in accepting that in the Bosman era players will run down a contract for freedom of movement and in siding with a player in these circumstances - how do posters see Motherwell Football Club funding their operations for the next couple of seasons on gates of 4000.

Hypothetical obviously but, what if the current management team offered him a contract and he wouldn't sign it? And what if the previous management team had offered him a contract and he wouldn't sign it? And then what if the management team before that had also offered him a contract, and he wouldn't sign it?

Just sayin obviously...but one fact we do know is that he doesnt want to sign it otherwise he would have. So how do we know how far back these offers have been being made and for how long he's been saying no? And it's one thing to say "make him an improved offer", but theres a limit to what you're gonna offer a wee boy that's done the square root of hee-haw so far, and in fact isn't even a professional footballer yet.

Seems to me that most of the critics of MFC, seem to think that we have dillied and dallied and not done the right thing by the boy, and now Celtic and McCart are diving in and taking advantage of that. Fact is though...it's completely irrelevant whether it's a player already at the club or a player at another club, if he just plain doesn't want to sign for MFC (and the reasons for that are also totally irrelevant), then theres not a single thing we can do about it.

Would anyone be critical of the club if we made an offer to someone that played for Aberdeen/United/Carlisle/whoever, and they turned it down to go elsewhere? Of course not...so whats the difference with Paul Slane? How can his case be the clubs fault?

Then you perhaps take a decision early doors not to put him in a well shirt / shop window and hand him a huge tin of boot polish and two years supply of shoe-brushes.

Every youth at our club needs to be educated that it's a two way street we are in existence primarily due to the success of our youth policy. We'll give them a development opportunity in the understanding that when they take advantage of that opportunity and get their dream move that we get appropriate compensation so that we can let someone else come in and Motherwell can continue - we're never too unreasonable in our demands and we understand that players generally see us a s a stepping stone.

If they or their agents or their parents are not up for getting with the programme then get them hunted early doors.

Maybe the club should be a wee bit tougher / play hardball at times instead of rolling over and having our belly tickled.

Hypothetical obviously but, what if the current management team offered him a contract and he wouldn't sign it? And what if the previous management team had offered him a contract and he wouldn't sign it? And then what if the management team before that had also offered him a contract, and he wouldn't sign it?

Just sayin obviously...but one fact we do know is that he doesnt want to sign it otherwise he would have. So how do we know how far back these offers have been being made and for how long he's been saying no? And it's one thing to say "make him an improved offer", but theres a limit to what you're gonna offer a wee boy that's done the square root of hee-haw so far, and in fact isn't even a professional footballer yet.

Seems to me that most of the critics of MFC, seem to think that we have dillied and dallied and not done the right thing by the boy, and now Celtic and McCart are diving in and taking advantage of that. Fact is though...it's completely irrelevant whether it's a player already at the club or a player at another club, if he just plain doesn't want to sign for MFC (and the reasons for that are also totally irrelevant), then theres not a single thing we can do about it.

Would anyone be critical of the club if we made an offer to someone that played for Aberdeen/United/Carlisle/whoever, and they turned it down to go elsewhere? Of course not...so whats the difference with Paul Slane? How can his case be the clubs fault?

Totally agree..

Think of this situation as if it were your own, you would be the exact same as Mr Slane.

Correct!!

There is no way this is the Clubs fault from what I have heard. The only way for Slane to stop these 'rumours' (and they've been hanging around for quite some time) is to sign a new contract and he obviously has no intention of doing so.

Then you perhaps take a decision early doors not to put him in a well shirt / shop window and hand him a huge tin of boot polish and two years supply of shoe-brushes.

Every youth at our club needs to be educated that it's a two way street we are in existence primarily due to the success of our youth policy. We'll give them a development opportunity in the understanding that when they take advantage of that opportunity and get their dream move that we get appropriate compensation so that we can let someone else come in and Motherwell can continue - we're never too unreasonable in our demands and we understand that players generally see us a s a stepping stone.

If they or their agents or their parents are not up for getting with the programme then get them hunted early doors.

Maybe the club should be a wee bit tougher / play hardball at times instead of rolling over and having our belly tickled.

I'd like to think the club are well clued up on this.

Slane is an exception to a host of talented kids that have commited their future to Motherwell over the years.

As Al B indicates, it would appear Motherwell have been powerless on this occassion.

i don't get why mcghee is getting flak. dempster and the BoD are involved in contracts it's not as if the manager has the final say on who is offered what (especially at youth level).

no one is at fault here, slane would rather play for celtic and now the man who discovered him wants to take him there so he'll go at the first opportunity.

i don't get why mcghee is getting flak. dempster and the BoD are involved in contracts it's not as if the manager has the final say on who is offered what (especially at youth level).

Possible answer 1 - Because McGhee didnt make sure he signed and wanted to punt him to Celtic for 40k

Possible answer 2 - McGhee gets flack for everything, rightly or wrongly.

if true the wee c**t can go back to the 19`s and be their kitman for the next 6 months before going to the girodome + disappearing from the world for the next 3 years,only to resurface a shadow of a player with scunthorpe or the likes, daft wee laddie

The wee c**t (as you so eloquently put it) will be earning more per year than any of us on this site ever will if he moves to Celtic. The 'Daft' laddie also gets to kick a ball around every day for the team he supports with players that were likely his heroes 2 years ago!!

My God, people that get so upset and angry to near boiling point when a football player (a teenage boy at that) leaves one football club for another is surely completely subordinate!!!

It is ridiculous!!

What about a wee bit of loyalty from Slane? We've probably made him the player he is. He's played a couple of Euro games or us (only one team worth mentioning) and 20 or so minutes against Stohnstone. All of a sudden he's a star!

Fair enough, from what I've seen he seems an excelent prospect, but Celtic????

JO'B, Dorothy (McBride) were all excellent prospects with Celtic but only now they are fulfilling their worth.

As has been said many times on this thread he would be better playing with us than with Celtics youth team.

Once JB returns hopefully things can be sorted

The 'Daft' laddie also gets to kick a ball around every day for the team he supports with players that were likely his heroes 2 years ago!!

I bet he doesn't since he'll be training with their Under 19's for 2 years. If you listen to Mowbary, anyone who was there 2 years ago - won't be there in two years time.

Exactly, he will be going to Celtic as a youth/prospect and his wage will be at that level, if he stays with us,he will be on a 1st team deal so il bet there will be little between what he makes + his "heroes" are in the process of being shipped out.

Piece with Brown on the official site. Certainly putting himself forward for the job full time that's for sure. Speaks of "one or possibly two loan signings". Needs to be a striker then. If we don't get Lukas till the end of the season and we don't get someone else to play in that position in this window then we could be in soapy bubble. A defender would also be good.

The wee c**t (as you so eloquently put it) will be earning more per year than any of us on this site ever will if he moves to Celtic. The 'Daft' laddie also gets to kick a ball around every day for the team he supports with players that were likely his heroes 2 years ago!!

My God, people that get so upset and angry to near boiling point when a football player (a teenage boy at that) leaves one football club for another is surely completely subordinate!!!

It is ridiculous!!

Bit of a sweeping statement that. How much do you think he'll be earning as a basic wage at either Motherwell or Celtic Under 19's?

It is ridiculous!!

We're Motherwell Football Club not Jim'll Fuckin Fix It.

We develop players so that we get a couple of seasons and a transfer fee out them before they go do their hero worship.