Gannon Sacked! Motherwell Part Company with Manager

steelman1991

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Aw, fuck, don't tell me McGarry is happy he's away. Does that mean he thinks he'll be back in the fold? That was one of the things Gannon got very right...

Well Im glad we agree on something. I really hope he doesnt get back into the first team. Now your getting me all worried again. Fuck im not gonna sleep tonight.

Ah hope he goes tae Dundee United and fucks us like John Leslie(allegedly of course) every time he meets us - thats how much i'm angry with things.

Next Motherwell manager.......i'm expecting wan of the many bawbags off this site, who know so much about footballing tactics, man-management skills, being media savvy, scouting skills, mare cub-scout(coaching)badges and hopefully some foreign travels skills(to avoid repeats of the Albanian X again) xx .

PS The burd says whats aw the kisses aw aboot, am just hurting!!

PPS ........yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeah another six months for McGarry

Ah hope he goes tae Dundee United and fucks us like John Leslie(allegedly of course) every time he meets us - thats how much i'm angry with things.

Next Motherwell manager.......i'm expecting wan of the many bawbags off this site, who know so much about footballing tactics, man-management skills, being media savvy, scouting skills, mare cub-scout(coaching)badges and hopefully some foreign travels skills(to avoid repeats of the Albanian X again) xx .

PS The burd says whats aw the kisses aw aboot, am just hurting!!

PPS ........yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeah another six months for McGarry

Cant fault a single thing you said. Apart from him beating us. I could never go that far.

But Im pretty angry too.

Mega disappointing news yesterday.

Had really high hopes for The Gannon Revolution and what he was trying to do.

Unfortunately I don't think there's any of parties involved that don't come out of this smelling of shite.

Gannon - obviously piss poor that he wouldn't commit to a contract.

John Boyle - For not employing a manager on a fucking contract from day 1.

The Players - well we've all been watching recently when things have dipped - all of it can't be laid at Gannon's door.

The club is about as leaky as the Belgrano as well - and it's time that was sorted. When the stuff about Gannon's contract initially aired on both forums a few months back I was a bit skeptical - however now it's all come to pass - you have to ask yourself how watertight the ship actually is. Putting the rights and wrongs to one side the contract is personal between the club and the individual. If someone is getting access to this info and acting like a funnel gub - then I'm sorry but it needs sorting.

We're a club at risk at the moment with this turn of events.

We might end up keeping (even building a team around) some players that are well past their sell by.

We might end up losing some promising players on loan or short term deals

We might lose the saleable asset(s) - when in reality it might actually now be in our best interests to keep him / them.

There could be tensions in the camp as there are obviously a lot of younger guys that have benefited from Gannon's regime who may now find that the old guard have the ball at their feet again.

We actually might very rapidly end up at exactly the same point we were at when Muttley took the high road.

Let's hope we get something sorted out - that take Motherwell forward in a similar way to what Gannon intended (with a bit less friction).

The worst thing that could happen is that we hand the reins over to experienced interim guys who bring in James Grady, Paul Tosh type signings i.e. past it journeymen fuds who'll play alonside McGarry.

I think looking big picture - an unavoidable decision, but a(nother) bad day for the club that was entirely avoidable, had we done things correctly in the first place.

C'mon the Well

PS Anyone else think Burma sounds a bit like Ice-Rink? (No offence intended or critique of your posts - I just think your posts read like the 'serious' alter ego of the legendary wind up merchant)

JIM GANNON refused to sign a contract with Motherwell after six months of negotiations and offers of improved terms.

Then he threatened to go to law if they got rid of him without paying any form of compensation.

That was just one of the stories to emerge yesterday about the troubled relationship between a controversial manager and a bewildered employer.

One telling passage in Fir Park owner John Boyle's prepared statement to announce Gannon's departure said it all.

Boyle wrote: "Over the past couple of months it has become clear the manager was not fully committed to the club and, despite our best efforts, he repeatedly refused to sign a contract.

"Relations between the manager, staff and directors deteriorated to the extent that the situation became untenable."

How can you argue over a contract that wasn't worth the paper that hadn't been signed? Only Gannon could provide the answer to that one but he was unavailable when we tried to contact him last night.

So was he pushed or did he jump? Record Sport understands that Gannon, who'd only managed to win four games since the start of the season, made it clear on Sunday he was no longer interested in being in charge of Motherwell.

His decision followed the 3-1 defeat at home to St Johnstone 24 hours earlier.

The players had left the field to the sound of jeering and Gannon's substitution of Lukas Jutkiewicz had earlier brought booing reserved for the manager alone.

A Fir Park insider said: "First of all he told the club he no longer wanted to be manager and then he reacted to the idea that there could be an amicable parting of the ways without compensation.

"But the club had known for some time a parting of the ways was coming. What happened can't be described as out of the blue."

The players were told of Gannon's removal as they arrived for training yesterday.

Rumours of dressing-room unrest had been circulating for weeks and stories suggested the players were often as mystified by Gannon as his chairman was.

Boyle isn't an unreasonable man or a difficult chairman to work with.

The fact Gannon had failed to bring his family up to Scotland to join him while he was in charge at Fir Park wasn't a deal breaker for him. Mark McGhee had been allowed the same latitude when he took over at Motherwell and nothing was said.

But what Record Sport understands did agitate Boyle was a deliberate inaccuracy being spread about the club concerning his dealings in the transfer market.

Our Fir Park insider said: "The manager asked for the permanent purchase of Everton keeper John Ruddy to be made a priority.

"Relations between Everton and Motherwell have been good since James McFadden was sold to them and the chairman was making good progress on the Ruddy front.

"That's still the case in spite of what's happened since talks over a transfer started. But the chairman was then dismayed to hear there were stories being put about the club that the manager was having another keeper foisted on him. That simply wasn't true."

Rumours persist that Gannon's refusal to sign the contract he was initially offered in June could have had everything to do with wanting ajob back in England.

The former Stockport boss has been linked with the vacancies at SheffieldWednesday and Reading.

But the lack of a signature on a legally binding agreement didn't prevent Gannon from allegedly threatening to take court action against Motherwell unless they paid him compensation.

The Fir Park insider said: "The club believed there could be no compensation issue involved in parting company with Jim because there was no contract between employee and employer.

"But when he threatened legal action the club had to go to its own lawyers and take guidance. The club were assured the manager could have his employment terminated without running the risk of trouble at a later date."

The skirmish over money was the latest in a long line of battles that Gannon had with authority.

He slated Scotland's referees in general, stating they were biased and incompetent.

He claimed the title race could already have been decided by Craig Thomson's refusal to give Celtic a penalty against Rangers at Ibrox.

And he accused Scotland's man in charge of referee development, Hugh Dallas, of falling down on his responsibilities where improving standards were concerned.

There'll be no tears shed over his sudden departure inside the corridors of power at Hampden.

There will only be frustration at being denied the satisfaction of having Gannon appear in front of the general purposes committee to explain himself.

Our Fir Park insider added: "The club found Jim to be a very difficult and awkward man to deal with.

"For one thing, there was all the commotion caused by his occasional refusal to attend press conferences after matches.

"That isn't a sacking offence but it didn't help matters."

The SPL recommend that a coach and a player present themselves for interview after matches to help publicise the game.

Now the same body is considering making the request an order and enforcing sanctions if their rules are disobeyed.

And all because of a man who didn't last half a season in the SPL but was here long enough to get several backs up.

Now Gannon's epitaph will be "Gone, but not forgotten".

Meanwhile, Motherwell need to find a man who can undo the damage that's already been done on t h e p a r k. Before it's too late.

Gannon is a Grade A fuck-knuckle.

The only folk who don't seem delighted by his sacking are the fans, and they're the ones with the least amount of knowledge of what was going on. Says it all for me.

Perfectly happy with the decision, and I'm looking forward to seeing how the players react on Wednesday no longer having to deal with Gannon as their gaffer.

Tbf Jay, I think most of the fans, after reading and looking into it are thinking the same way as you. Even those who backed Gannon in what he was trying to do on the pitch. Anyone who thinks that Boyle was wrong to sack him when Gannon was obviously failing to be a manager at Motherwell I worry for.

It seems that he would refuse to talk to players - despite saying the opposite in the press, he seems to have failed to speak to Boyle, he has seemed to have refused to speak to agents - which is even more worrying that the two before and to top it of, has been applying for other jobs before speaking to Boyle or asking his permission.

Onwards we go.

About 60% of this board has done a The Day That Stalin Died. Greatest Human In The Universe to Worst Monster In History in the space of hours.

But at least they've woke up to the reality of Jim Gannon.

Some folks still can't admit they were wrong. What would it have taken before they would admit this guy was trouble?

Jim Gannon was some kind of deluded fantasist with grandiose ideas about his own worth and nothing but his own glorification at heart. If he was 'different' it wasn't in the name of progression, it was in the name of attention seeking. He was a fool and leaves the club a failure.

10 years from now Gannon will be a tiny and regretful footnote in the clubs history.

Heard the players had a party in the changing room when they found out he'd gone. Apparently he hadn't spoken to anyone after the 4 defeats!

I'm amazed people are trying to defend this guy. Yes he had potential, but his downfall at Motherwell was entirely his own doing. (I generally take everything I read in the media with a pinch of salt but they all can't be barking up the wrong tree).

It's a shame, I think he was given a great opportunity at Motherwell (he said that himslef btw) but it looks like his personality has got the better of him again. I don't blame anyone but Gannon.

About 60% of this board has done a The Day That Stalin Died. Greatest Human In The Universe to Worst Monster In History in the space of hours.

Some folks still can't admit they were wrong. What would it have taken before they would admit this guy was trouble?

Jim Gannon was some kind of deluded fantasist with grandiose ideas about his own worth and nothing but his own glorification at heart. If he was 'different' it wasn't in the name of progression, it was in the name of attention seeking. He was a fool and leaves the club a failure.

10 years from now Gannon will be a tiny and regretful footnote in the clubs history.

Agreed 100%

I have stated all along that I was happy when Gannon was appointed Manager and liked the look of him b4 he was appointed.

It is however quite clear that he just could not get on with anyone at all and his refusal to commit to signing a contract and his future to Motherwell is now looking like a blessed relief.

Yes - JB has made a mistake in appointing him. No-one is disputing that fact, but I am quite sure Boyle had no idea that he would be so difficult to deal with. It also looks as if Gannon is ultimately relieved to be relieved of his duties.

I am quite sure he has the capability to be a very good Manager - but it appears is if he has to control the flaws in his personality of which there are many.

We're a club at risk at the moment with this turn of events.

We might end up keeping (even building a team around) some players that are well past their sell by.

We might end up losing some promising players on loan or short term deals

We might lose the saleable asset(s) - when in reality it might actually now be in our best interests to keep him / them.

There could be tensions in the camp as there are obviously a lot of younger guys that have benefited from Gannon's regime who may now find that the old guard have the ball at their feet again.

Those are my concerns also Mr Diggle.

Quote from the BBC Site:

Some regarded him as a breath of fresh air in Scottish football, others say the man still adored by Stockport fans for leading them to promotion from League Two was too determined to cause a stink.

However, the most telling smoke signal came after the training on Monday.

Before order was restored when they caught sight of the waiting media, the Motherwell team bus was awash with so much communal singing you would have thought they had just ended that poor run of seven games without a win.

Not sure about that at all.

A few of the stories I've been hearing for months from people who deal with Craigan on a regular basis through here in the Tyre suggest that one of the reasons for the falling out between gaffer and manager was Craigan's decision to stand up to Gannon when he was absolutely slating some/most of the team (which, given the average age of our squad, would almost certainly include a lot of the younger players).

I wouldn't actually be that surprised if the younger players have more respect for the "old guard" than they did for Gannon, especially given the reports of singing in the team bus and parties in the changing rooms.

I don't believe Gannon's appointment was a mistake. He had a pretty good track record and had a decent start to his reign considering the players he was left with. Boyle recruited him due to his contacts in the English game, and this seems to have paid off with the signings of Hately, Jennings, Coke, Lukas, yass and Ruddy. He was also known for giving youth a chance, and as such we have seen Hutch, Forbes, Slane, McHugh and Saunders all given a chance when another manager may have signed older players. I could also see Gannon impressing at an interview, as when he first arrived he seemed to say the right things.

Most people praised Boyle for this appointment, as we could have easily gone for someone with no experience or one of the "usual suspects". He did have us playing pretty good football at times, but the European results shouldn't count as our dreadful first leg performances built up those shite teams to be something they weren't. Our league performances up until the second round of old firm games were fine, with only one defeat and quite a few clean sheets weirdly enough. However, someone mentioned the St Mirren game as a turning point, and I agree as this is when the performances started to get very shaky and the real tinkering began.

However, no one could have expected him to spit the dummy like he has, and the amount of sulking that's been going on. The board have made a difficult decision to part way with the manager, but have made the decision for the long term good of the club. Most of us wont ever know what happened behind the scenes, but the board known the importance of staying in the SPL so this decision wouldn't have been taken lightly.

Just the opposite from when McGhee left then? Guy takes us to Europe 2 seasons in a row, gets us to 4th in the league, and when he leaves he is an 'evil scum sucking paedo' (allegedly).

Gannon took over a team that was down to less than the bare bones. Just go back and look at this board in July/August to see all the regular doom merchants postings about the end of the world, relegation etc. Whether you like him or not, to assemble the team he did, in the time he did was pretty impressive.

I'm not saying that, if there was such a deterioration in the relationship, that the board shouldn't have sacked him. They should. That doesn't mean we don't have a squad better than most of us could have hoped for 6 months ago.

I know fans love everything to be black and white, but the real world isn't like that. Most people are good at some things, bad at others. I was happy with a lot of the players Gannion brought in or promoted from the youth team. I was unhappy with some of his behind-the-scenes antics.

It's okay to be both.

Before order was restored when they caught sight of the waiting media, the Motherwell team bus was awash with so much communal singing you would have thought they had just ended that poor run of seven games without a win.

This was shown on SSN last night, certainly seemed to be having a laugh until the bus pulled up outside the stadium.

i don't see the need for the doom and gloom now. we've got a decent core of players at the club and i think we've actually got a better chance of extending the contracts of coke, jennings and hateley without gannon and it whether he's here or not makes no difference to keeping ruddy and juke until the end of the season. the youngsters will get a chance if they're good enough although patience will be required on all fronts, bringing through 7 or 8 young players at the same time will require some balancing.

if the players are as happy as is being reported hopefully this will give them a spark going into a run of games that will make or break our season. if we can get a few wins, sort out the defence and build a midfield around slane, jennings, hateley and coke then we'll be in good knick for the run in.