Gannon Sacked! Motherwell Part Company with Manager

steelman1991

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

From that telegraph link.

It's understood that the manager has not been accepting or returning calls, either from Motherwell officials or from agents representing players either currently at the club or interested in joining when the transfer window reopens in January, for some time.

:O:wacko:

mmm seems like more than journalistic speculation - a wee bit of unofficial spin coming from MFC to give us an insight into some of the issues behind the decision, perhaps?

it wouldn't surprise me at all if some of the jounrno's Gannon pissed off got in a few parting shots so I'd take anything you read in the coming days with a pinch of salt.

however its looking increasingly like he had given up on Motherwell long ago and for that he has no excuse.

This is all a bit shite is it not.

We are in the worst form in years, the players seem lost, the loanee signings will probably not come back, we now have no manager and to top it all off the chances of us brining in anyone in January looks non existent.

Fucking shite being a Motherwell fan during Christmas in the last few years.

I can't see the club statement - server problem apparently! Is anyone else having the same problem?

What's done is done now - we will probably never know the full story but the main thing is to get someone in who can do a job. I don't particularly care what their long-term intentions are - as it is with most of the players we bring in - most managers who come to Motherwell are looking for a stepping stone. If we can get someone in who can work with what we've got (players and budget) and bring some sort of stability back I'd be happy for now. We have to accept that this is the type of club that Motherwell are - it's been the same since I started going to FP and it's probably not going to change significantly in the near future. Scottish Football isn't in a great place at the moment so staying in the SPL and trying to build a team through our youth set-up (with some experience to hold things together) is a more realistic aim. It's what we've all talked about for a long time now but we still haven't found the right man to achieve this...here's hoping the next guy in the hot-seat can stand the heat long enough to see us through!

Whilst young dazza got carried away when using that word, I think he is right to lament Gannon's departure and I don't understand the thinking of older ( and supposedly wiser ) posters who are so pleased with events. Gannon was dealt a very tough hand when he arrived at Fir Park due to the tiny squad he inherited and the tiny budget he had with which to re-build it, yet he had the team mid-table. His belief in youth was exciting, his outspoken views an interesting change from the establishment inanity of most managers. I really think there could have been some exciting times ahead and I hope Gannon's sacking doesn't prove to be a big mistake. If it's true Gannon had had lost interest and wanted out, fair enough, but let's wait and see. Nobody yet knows the full story, hence my overriding feeling is of sadness at the lost potential, and I hope this decision doesn't come back to haunt you.

I don't think many are pleased with events :wacko:

but maybe you don't understand other posters perhaps felling a little relieved? or thinking perhaps its for the best? because you aren't around the club and aren't hearing and seeing what many folk have been

Plenty of folk around Motherwell have heard of the issues and plenty have heard of his excursions to other clubs, there has even been threads most of which drop of the page as blinkered people only wanting to hear good things refused to discuss what could be happening.

Sure his belief in youth was exciting but his stubborness to work with the squad to support these youths was disheartening.

Outspoken views, exciting yes probably but hows about prioritising/focusiing on problems in hand

Exciting times ahead, he didn't want to be here, he did attend talks with other clubs, Fuck Him, Legend :O

I'm not pleased with events, I'm raging at the position the club has been left in.

I'm not happy with Gannon for being an arrogant cock and using our club

I'm not happy with the club for gambling with contracts etc but I believe that by moving now before the transfer window and before any further damage was done by JG that Boyle has dealt as best he could with a deteriorating situation

I don't know whether that's true or not, Pepper, but what is that assertion based upon?

certain things he has said in interviews and his demeanor in general. i can remember many times thinking he doesn't sound/look like he wants to be here at all. add that to the comments another poster has highlighted in the press article and it makes a lot of sense.

Cannot believe the 'legend' comments above, Gannon has behaved appallingly over the last few weeks and has shown neither respect nor concern for our club.

I was sold on the Gannon revolution and unlike many thought his tactics were good, albeit in evolution.

However, his arrogance in press conferences; disrespect towards senior players; spats with key players; spats with the refs; doom laden chats with the BBC; and refusal to accept responsibility for performances, have made it clear he has no long term future. It now emerges he has been touring the houses down south, we can't be surprised.

The turning point for me was the team selection for the Celtic game, coming just after fall out with the refs and the press. No one can argue that a game against Celtic in front of the cameras is the right game to hand out debuts to youth players. Yes we played ok in that game, but the selection was egotistical and attention seeking - it was a statement to the TV cameras about what JG stands for, or what he had to work with, or something. It clearly was not the best team to put out to try and get a result in a big fixture for Well. He should have been slaughtered on here for that, and in my opinion too many consider siding with this prick to be a progressive/optimistic/visionary position. We would all like to see the Arsenal years at Fir Park but there comes a point you have to smell the coffee and reassess.

We have found ourselves in a bit of trouble with a guy who has clearly decided the job doesn't suit him, and not for the first time Boyle has shown pretty decent timing in making a move to get us out. Our new manager will easily have enough quality to keep us up (IMO) and a transfer window to work with. Time to get behind the club and take a half decent crowd to Tynecastle for a game we can win.

Mon Well.

Sorry the website has been unstable today! Unfortunately, the hosting deal we're on ain't good enough to cope with a large volume of traffic at the one time.

The good news is we'll be on a new server (that can cope), with a new website, fairly soon!

'Flow

but maybe you don't understand other posters perhaps felling a little relieved? or thinking perhaps its for the best? because you aren't around the club and aren't hearing and seeing what many folk have been

Very fair point. I don't know what's been going on in the background, but nor do the majority of others, and only time will tell what the full story is. If Gannon had lost interest then, as I said earlier, fair enough, but there's so much yet to be revealed. I'm sad he's no longer manager right now and it's far too early to be making reasoned judgements and apportioning blame.

Wikipedia now updated. Interesting stats as well:

Managers