Gannon Sacked! Motherwell Part Company with Manager

steelman1991

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Haveny really posted on Gannon over the past few weeks, however in retrospect a few things appeared to be amiss. The recent OF games, I was disappointed he'd basically conceded defeat beforehand, and sent out a young, inexperienced side as cannon fodder, in much the same way Wenger does in the league cup down south. In Scotland, even though you know you're probably gonny get gubbed, you never concede defeat beforehand to the OF, its the one game the fans want a positive attitude to, albeit it's not often reflected in the result.

The repeated statements about not having tactics without technique were also a bit contradictory. Surely as a manager, you adjust your tactics to suit the resources at your disposal, not the other way round? By all means have ideals, but balance them with pragmatism.

Finally his post match interview on Saturday was f**kin awful, even my SO who was in the car at the time commented on it. As a manager, the buck stops with you, you never blame your team in public, you take the blame, then have the hard discussions in private. Saturdays interview was just totally unprofessional.

Think reading between the lines it's probably a combination of factors. He may have been happy, as would Boyle to work without a contract for a short period, which could suit both parties as either can pull the plug without compo if things ain't working. However I would hazard a guess a combination of all the other off pitch factors, plus media and squad type issues led Boyle to pull the plug. If it was me, I'd have hammered him after Saturdays post-match interview.

Acknowledge he did some good things initially with the younger players and playing style, however obviously for a variety of issues recently it had went sour. At this stage we need someone experienced in the SPL, even as a short term fill-in. Wouldny be unhappy with Calderwood, or even Craigy Broon as a short-term stop gap until season end.

I said after hearing Gannons opinions on Saturday's game he sounded like a man who was about to chuck it. Obviously that decision has been made for him.

I'm not as surprised as I thought I would be as Jim was not your normal run of the mill type of manager. Personally I quite liked Jim Gannon, but I could imagine he could be hard to work with.

Who would I want as our new manager? Well I wouldn't say no to Jimmy Calderwood, he knows the Scottish game very well and I believe he would secure our place in the SPL.

I think it's unfortunate that Dundee United are looking for a manager as well, as I believe they will have first refusal on any managerial JobSeekers.

Interesting appointment as he's been out the managerial game a long time but one I think will work.

There was an article in the Herald about appointing him as Scotland boss which painted him in a brilliant light, if I can dig that up will link it, just the man to steady the ship IMO.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/more-s...anager-1.992657

I was told (and I think I posted on here at the time) when Gannon was appointed that when things went wrong, it was never his fault if you listened to him. His last couple of post match interviews really made me think of that reputation. I appreciate the fact that there is a limit to how much technique you can coach into a player after a certain age, but why under Gannon was our back four going backwards in terms of organisation? Clean sheets at Parkhead, Pittodrie and Tannadice seem like an age ago now.

Much like Harri Kampman, Gannon in his short spell has done something that was required. Kampman got rid of a lot of guys 32+ whose reputations might have got them contracts with some Scottish managers when they were really past their best (Coyne, Falconer, Martin). Gannon came in to a threadbare squad and with a mixture of loans, frees and promotion of good young players managed to get a team ready to start the season. But despite his comments to the contrary, you never got the impression he was here for the long haul. And an abrasive personality in a manager is not always something a club with our squad size can work with. I said when Lasley and Craigan were discarded earlier in the season, that my fear was that we would need them later in the season. Some of Saturday's problems were ring rust on those players. And while I agree that players are professionals and should give 100% as we all do in our jobs, football (and other sports) require a degree of enthusiasm about the task in order to get the best performancer. And it is very difficult to be enthusiastic about working under a boss you don't like. We all knew the form of the young players would be up and down. Gannon's man management was poor in that he was unable to keep the older players onside for when this happened.

In essence, thank you to Gannon for doing what was required. But JB was right in his statement. For various reasons, Gannon continuing as manager was "untenable"...

Apparantly he went to speak about the dundee utd job without speaking to Motherwell first

That would surprise me as I never got the opinion that he held the SPL in that high regard.

After being in the Well hot seat for a few months I got the impression he was quite shocked at how poor the overall standard was.

Makes sense.

Also, I recall that his brother, Jock (also a TV commentator) was the club's lawyer in the past. I recall his services being required against a certain T Cowan, or the organisation he worked for at the time- Evening Times, I think. 

Looks like Gannon fought the establishment and lost. This is definitely an establishment response.

Glad it's decisive and I think Brown will work well with the youngsters.

Big question is whether Ruddy and Duke want to stay in the shop window for the next five months or not? That will determine whether we are in a dog-fight or not. As, I've said elsewhere, I don't trust Fraser at all. No opinion on the Polish 'keeper, I admit.

SD

I'm happy with that

Are you even old enough to remember the last time Brown had a managerial job, never mind when he was Scotland manager? :lol:

How old is Brown? BBC says 61 but wiki says 69

Delighted with that :thumbup:

Guess it depends which bird he's shagging! ;)

Good appointment, and fast and decisive from Boyle and the board.