Only Time Will Tell...

decorator

For what it's worth, I agree.

Some folks just don't like being told what to do.....

And in my opinion, pretending to be an athlete isn't the same as being one, and ultimately, the only person you end up kidding on, would be yourself.

I agree....god this is getting bad now. That has to be the third time I've agreed with you Emmjay.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

We will never know how it would have turned out, but Jim Gannon did a decent job in the short time he was here.

He arrived to find a squad stripped to the very bones having lost Clarkson, Quinn, Smith, Hughes & Klimpl, all regulars from last season and was thrust straight into a Europa League campaign. Despite some embarrassing setbacks in losing first legs to both Llanelli and Flamurtari, we managed to turn it around both times, securing our biggest win in European competition in doing so before bowing out to a far superior Steaua Bucharest, who would have beaten the vast majority of sides in the SPL. We then had a very solid start to the season where we more than surpassed expectations and remained unbeaten until the final Saturday in September. Whatever way you dress that up, that's a fantastic statistic for Motherwell, even more so when you consider the squad of players we had achieved it with. We were always going to hit a slump though as there was no way we would have been able to keep that sort of form up and that duly came, but we still remained fairly solid - result wise anyway - until the beginning of December, so that certainly was a big plus point from Gannon's tenure.

Towards the end it was starting to appear as though he didn't want to be here anymore, for whatever reason and I think there was some serious dis-harmony within the dressing room and performances were definately getting worse and worse, not that they were that brilliant to begin with mind. There were also some baffling decisions made by Gannon regarding selections and substitutions, many of which appeared to be completely un-neccessary and the football we were playing was awful to watch. As for the whole 'fued' with the referees and the media, I just found that strange to say the least as it appeared to be over very little indeed and it did cross my mind that he was trying to create a smokescreen to deflect attention away from either himself or the team.

It didn't surprise me in the slightest when Gannon and Motherwell FC parted company and I don't have any good or ill feeling toward the man. He did okay with what he had to work with, nothing more, nothing less and only time will tell whether it will be a good move by the club to get rid of him and replace him with a 69 year old who's been idle from the game for over five years.

don't have a bad word to say about him. Boyle felt he couldn't continue with him in charge and we have to accept it.

My fear for the team is guys like hutchison, saunders, forbes, McHugh etc. all go back behind the older guys when they have proved they can cut it in the first team. My one critisism about brown when he was in charge of Scotland was he filled the team with players the same age as him.

Lee

Ah, already the analysis of the Gannon regime begins. I think we need to see where Gannon's career goes from here to see whether we've missed out on a footballing visionary or whether what we witnessed is to become a pattern in that he can't settle at any club as he has a habit of upsetting the applecart.

But anyway, my two cents worth...

I don't really see where the suggestion that his desire for fitness in the players is where the players had a problem with him. As Malky says, I think a lot of this stems from the fact that McGarry was one of those cast aside. And ignores the perseverance with Ross "60 minutes" Forbes. Malky is also right when he says that the likes of Lasley and Craigan hardly have Richie Foran's reputation for excess.

We played the ball on the deck under Gannon. Not the first Motherwell manager to do this. Unfortunately he seemed unable to add much of a cutting edge. The ball was not moved quickly enough. This idea that Gannon is some kind of Arsene Wenger visionary that Scottish football just didn't understand, well as I said earlier, it's still to be proven. His signings have very much been a mixed bag, and some of his tactical decisions during games were puzzling at best. Maybe given time he could have got the team playing his way, and it would have been superb. Maybe not.

But it doesn't really matter. Because it would appear he didn't want to be here in the long term. He alienated Craigan very early in his regime. Ditched Lasley almost as quickly. If alienating players was the reason for his leaving, it would have happened a lot sooner. Fact is he left because he couldn't get on with the board and they felt he wasn't committed. Whether he was a footballing genius or not, it seems it was never going to happen here...

with regards to the previous post about having a good start to the season.

before I start im not taking anything away from the team, but me and a few others have spoke about this before. Under Gannons reign(in the league certaintly) we had only really played well in 3 games.Rangers & killie at home, and celtic away. obviously two of they games finished in a draw, even games that we won against hearts,dundee utd and falkirk, we werent particulary great.

Did you stop going to games around the end of August? I saw some psotive early signs and briefly shared that excitement but we quickly became an absolutely dire team to watch and despite the cup loss I'm looking forward to saturdays game more than I did the last dozen or so under Gannon. I may well be quickly disappointed but well used to that so I'll cope if it turns horrendous again.

No I didn't stop going but I was certainly going to different games from you and most of the hypocrites on here. <_<

Having only recently returned from a 24 day winter trip to the southern hemisphere and the heat of South Africa I have taken a few days to try and catch up with everything that has happened since I left. I agree that only time will tell if Gannon would have made us a decent team and that we will only really know what we have missed out on when we see how Jimbos career pans out.

On a personal level though I feel very let down by him as I thought that he could have produced, given time a wonderful team to watch, not neccessarily a winning team but definately one that would have been a pleasure to see. However, from what I have read since getting back it is quite apparent that he had no intention of staying with us for a decent length of time and we were just another notch on his belt.

As for our future I would be dissappointed if we ended up with Paw Broon and his sidekick Erchie. They have a decent track record in football between them but Broons Scotland team was one of the most boring teams I have ever seen and that includes George Graham's 1-0 Arsenal. Who would I like ?????????????????? I don't know but I hope it is someone who will stay with us for at least a few years.

I believe that he did have some good qualities introduced a youthful passing game and yes, i was going to the games looking forward to seeing something different and fresh. Guys like JOB were like new players, we were almost guaranteed a penalty and playing against 10 men every week (all be it we could never beat 10 men). I out tactics were not working he was on the touchline sorting it out and making early changes

BUT

That was where it ended, surely you don't just discard all the experience, I agree guys like Craigan , Lasley are great servants to the club and are good professionals. Why he fell out with them we may never know. It can't have been performances they hardly played. I heard he just took a dislike to you and would not talk to you

Laterly you could see each week as he lost another player, you would see his team change, No JOB, Coke, I'm not averse to introducing Youth, but Meechan against Celtic for 90 mins whats that all about. Hamilton away I believe was a segnificant game.

In fact after the half time team talk our performances in many games towards the end of Gannon's rein was worst.

You can't be successful anywhere without good communication, i i think this was sadly lacking. Lets face it footballs a team game. When you loose the team your as well away, perhaps he will learn from this and move on.

don't have a bad word to say about him. Boyle felt he couldn't continue with him in charge and we have to accept it.

My fear for the team is guys like hutchison, saunders, forbes, McHugh etc. all go back behind the older guys when they have proved they can cut it in the first team. My one critisism about brown when he was in charge of Scotland was he filled the team with players the same age as him.

Lee

For me every one of those players has only at best proved themselves to an extent.

Hutchison has only played about 6 games. Now off top of my head I think he has done well enough, but in those 6 games games we conceded 15 goals. 6 against h**s when he was flung in to early after being out, so will let him off there and he has also scored 3 so I got high hopes for him and ideally if he can stay fit and Reynolds moves on or Craigan then he'll hopefully fit right in and go on do us a turn. But as we seen before, there is no bigger guarantee for a players stock to rise amongst the wider support than to be not playing and seeing reputation continue grow in their absense.

Saunders I think has been hit and miss, some good games and other where he just didn't look up to SPL football. And he not a fullback really which not helping him when playing there.

Forbes earlier in season showed some real ability, but questionable fitness levels and nearly everyone slated his form for months now. I'd like to see him develop but looks a bit lost out there lately.

McHugh I've seen very little to convince me, couple of moments here or there a decent performance against Celtic.

I certainly don't see the young guys getting sidelined the way Gannon did some older players but I think a few of them I wouldn't want to see us rely on to much either. Hutchison, Murphy and Forbes definatley made enough of an impact that I'd be concerned if they weren't at least on bench when fit and getting chances but I don't think we quite stumbled onto a golden generation either.

Steven Saunders seems to have enjoyed his time under JG, anyway:

http://www.rutherglenreformer.co.uk/ruther...63227-25636482/

Rutherglen defender Saunders sad to see Gannon leave.

Jan 20 2010 by Will Henshaw, Rutherglen Reformer

RUTHERGLEN footballer Steven Saunders has admitted his disappointment at the exit of his former Motherwell manager Jim Gannon.

Gannon was controversially fired just before the New Year for apparently refusing to sign a new contract with the Steelmen.

However Steven is delighted to have been given the chance to work with former Clyde and Scotland coach Craig Brown, who is on a temporary contract with the Lanarkshire club.

Speaking of Gannon’s departure, Steven said: “I gave him a phone to thank him for giving me a chance.

“It’s a shame that he left but getting the experience of Craig Brown and Archie Knox has been brilliant for someone like me.

“Obviously Craig was with Scotland and Archie Knox has been with Rangers and Man United so it’s a great experience for someone as young as me to get a chance to work with them.”

Although Brown has been playing the young starlet at right back, from which he is proving a success, Steven insists his best position remains at centre half.

“I’d say my favoured position is centre back but wherever they play me I’m happy to play.”

The Well were knocked out of the Scottish Cup on Monday night by Inverness Caley Thistle.

The Highlanders won the game 2-0 and Steven admits fixture congestion did not help the sides efforts.

He added: “I don’t think it was one of my best games but I think having games on Saturday and Monday didn’t help us at all. But we can’t make any excuses, we just didn’t play well on the night.”

Despite the upheaval at the club the former Stonelaw High pupil remains adamant that a top six finish is still possible, especially after their thumping 3-0 win over Kilmarnock at the weekend: “It’s not changed our targets. The boys at the club still think we can make the top six and it’s still a real possibility after the result on Saturday.”

The 18-year-old was given the chance to shine under Jim when he came on as a substitute in a match against Aberdeen in February 2008.

Since then he has matured into a more well-rounded player, as is being touted as a real prospect for the future.

Steven was voted as Cambuslang and Rutherglen Sports Council’s junior sports personality of the year for his achievements in 2008.

So what you are trying to say Postie Jim is that you are happy for Scottish Football and Scottish players to wallow in mediocrity just so long as nobody comes along and tries to rock the boat and drag them forward. This my friend is the reason why Scottih football is heading for oblivion.

Here is an example (Rangers dressing room)

P Le Guen ' Boydy, I don't think you should be turning up for training hung over and eating Monster Munch as a diet'

B Ferguson ' How dare you treat my friend in such a way. Come on Boydy, let's go to Newcastle get hammered and get this guy the sack'

Result PLG gets the sack and Rangers are to this day playing the same old shite they always have and getting pumped 4-0 in Europe.

I would guess you could swap a couple of well players in this general scenario and you would have a similar story. Gannon will be delighted that he has got himself out of the hole that is Scottish Football.

I was wonderring how many defeats we would need to turn JG back into the messiah.

To change the way things were done he needed to include the senior players and get them onside. That is his serious flaw in football management. His inability in man management. He could have done the much needed changes with their help rather than a feck them I'm the boss sort of attitude that left our squad unfit cos he was concentrating on systems rather than training

As for your comparrison to PLG , do you remember the "players" he brought to their team ( sebo etc). He underestimated the job and the spl and simply couldn't handle it , which was funny as feck. It was not the old guard their that got him the bullet it was the way his team was playing at the time.

Reading through this thread with people saying that players should suck it up and get on with it reminds me of a situation in the not too distant past that had everyone on here frothing at the arse.

A slightly different situation in that we were battling against relegation under Malpas but does anyone remember the uproar on here at the way Hegarty treated players? He bullied players, treated them like crap and had their confidence at rock bottom.

Why should one person be allowed to treat the players like something he stepped in and not another?

For the record, I felt that Gannon was doing a decent job (at least with where he was trying to go) but the lack of confidence, fitness and organisation on the pitch was pretty apparent, something that obviously stems from more than players not trying hard enough.

The likes of Craigan, Lasley and McGarry are hard-working players (yes even McGarry - he may not be the fittest but he always busted a gut) who seem like the sort to give it everything in training as well as on the pitch.

Ah, already the analysis of the Gannon regime begins. I think we need to see where Gannon's career goes from here to see whether we've missed out on a footballing visionary or whether what we witnessed is to become a pattern in that he can't settle at any club as he has a habit of upsetting the applecart.

I don't think that's really the case, to be honest. For example, McCleish was a disaster here and is now one of the most highly thought-of managers in the Premiership. Billy Davies is another who failed here with a big budget, and has been a hero at Derby and now Forrest, looking Premiership-bound again. On the other hand, Terry Butcher done a great job at Fir Park and has been shite everywhere before and since.

My point is that the achievements (or otherwise) of managers at other clubs isn't really a measure of how good a Motherwell manager they'd be/could have been.

Is this photo a good piece of digital editing or were you actually in Albania?

A 'close source' to Decorator has confirmed that this picture was not taken in Albania. Very clever with the flags and Albanian copper in the background...but i can exclusively reveal exactly where this picture was taken:

snow.jpg

But that shouldn't mask the original point which i would agree with 100%

As for our future I would be dissappointed if we ended up with Paw Broon and his sidekick Erchie. They have a decent track record in football between them but Broons Scotland team was one of the most boring teams I have ever seen and that includes George Graham's 1-0 Arsenal. Who would I like ?????????????????? I don't know but I hope it is someone who will stay with us for at least a few years.

But there's the problem, what manager is going to come to Motherwell and commit himself for at least a few years? Any young and up and coming boss or someone like McGhee who is remotely successful at a club like ours will be offski after one or possibly two seasons at the most.

I too have doubts over Craig Brown, given his age and the amount of time he was out of the game but at least with him he's unlikely to be touting himself for jobs elsewhere on such a regular basis. Also, his style of play may be boring, but this is the man who has lead Scotland to a European Championsip and a World Cup during his time as National manager, something that all of his successors have failed do to, so he must have done something right. Tommy McLean's Motherwell team was never known for it's blinding, champagne football either, but in the ten years of it, brought the club back into the top flight and a Scottish Cup win.

Sometimes you need to sacrifice 'good football' for success.

It is only my opinion, of course, but it's just as valid as anyone elses. When you're talking about performances, it can only ever be opinion, but my opinion of November and December is...

Draw away to ten-man Accies - Not good enough.

Draw at home to ten-man Aberdeen - Not good enough.

Draw at home to nine-man Dundee Utd - Unacceptable.

Losing 2-0 at Easter Road - Pish performance but result to be expected.

Losing 3-2 at home to Celtic - Ditto Hibs game.

Losing 6-1 at Ibrox - Not good enough.

Losing 3-1 at home to St Johnstone - Completely unacceptable.

That was the last two months of Gannons reign. If you think that's good enough, then you have very low standards. Good riddance.

It is only my opinion, of course, but it's just as valid as anyone elses. When you're talking about performances, it can only ever be opinion, but my opinion of November and December is...

Draw away to ten-man Accies - Not good enough.

Draw at home to ten-man Aberdeen - Not good enough.

Draw at home to nine-man Dundee Utd - Unacceptable.

Losing 2-0 at Easter Road - Pish performance but result to be expected.

Losing 3-2 at home to Celtic - Ditto Hibs game.

Losing 6-1 at Ibrox - Not good enough.

Losing 3-1 at home to St Johnstone - Completely unacceptable.

That was the last two months of Gannons reign. If you think that's good enough, then you have very low standards. Good riddance.

that looks like a good jock wallace run :lol:

See, I know where you're going there, but for me that's irrelevant. Yeah, if you'd asked me the night of the first Llanelli game if I'd be happy losing to St Johnstone on Boxing Day to make it seven games without a win, but we were still in the top six with a decent squad then of course I'd be delighted, but the fact that Gannon came in and signed a lot of very decent players and started the season well raised the expectation level. Don't get me wrong - I'm not demanding Europe every season, but by Xmas it was obvious to me that Gannon was only taking us in one direction.

The thing I keep saying when talking about Gannon is that he signed us a better squad of players in a short space of time than we could have reaslistically hoped for, but he completely failed to manage them once they were here.

I don't think that's really the case, to be honest. For example, McCleish was a disaster here and is now one of the most highly thought-of managers in the Premiership. Billy Davies is another who failed here with a big budget, and has been a hero at Derby and now Forrest, looking Premiership-bound again. On the other hand, Terry Butcher done a great job at Fir Park and has been shite everywhere before and since.

Davies and McLeish, it was their first job. Butcher, right time right place, lucky with the players we had coming through. And when he took over, we needed a rabblerousing "us against the world" manager. Like I said, right time, right place...