Offside Goal

maxywell

Oh don't start going down this road. It was a terrible decision but it wasn't cheating as if it was then we simply wouldn't have got any decisions atall.

Referees and linesmen have a split second to make a decision like that and that is when you see a good official, when they can get those calls correct. Unfortunately most match officials in this country are largely useless and incompetent and don't recieve the punishment that they should get for the repeated errors that they make.

But cheating? I seriously doubt that they are even competent enough to do that.

The exact same goal at the other end would have stood. I am 100% certain of that. Cheating at worst, bottling at best. Doesn't make me feel any better if it's one or the other. That linesman should be punished severely, and publicly.

The exact same goal at the other end would have stood. I am 100% certain of that. Cheating at worst, bottling at best. Doesn't make me feel any better if it's one or the other. That linesman should be punished severely, and publicly.

With all due respect, that's utter nonsense. You have no way of knowing that it would have stood had it been at the other end. If the match officials were as you say 'cheating' in order to assist Rangers then surely they wouldn't have given us anything atall, including the free kick that we got and scored from. Referees do not cheat, they are just not good enough.

I completely disagree. If referees were simply incompetant, there would be the same (or at least roughly the same) amount of dubious decisions for both teams. Are you trying to tell me that in all the games you've seen Motherwell play Rangers - and I've no idea how old you are or how long you've been a Dosser - we've had anywhere near as many dubious game-changing decisions in our favour as they have? Absolutely no chance. Like I said - cheating at worse, pure shitebaggery at best.

QUOTE (Frazzle @ Feb 11 2010, 09:48 AM)

The exact same goal at the other end would have stood. I am 100% certain of that. Cheating at worst, bottling at best. Doesn't make me feel any better if it's one or the other. That linesman should be punished severely, and publicly

You 100% right.

There was a similar arguement surrounding Bob Malcolms straight red at Parkhead 2 seasons ago. Yes it was bad tackle, but would Scott Brown et al received the same punishment for a similar tackle? Not a fucking chance.

That was cheating
Agreed, no point beating about the bush, that linesman would not have put up his flag up to disallow a similar chance for Rangers to score. He flagged in the hope that an offence would be found and today it's being twisted into a foul for a push in order to cover it up. It's blatant cheating as that level of incompetence is just not possible at SPL level. Fuckin' Sunday refs would hardly get away with being so far off.

I completely disagree. If referees were simply incompetant, there would be the same (or at least roughly the same) amount of dubious decisions for both teams. Are you trying to tell me that in all the games you've seen Motherwell play Rangers - and I've no idea how old you are or how long you've been a Dosser - we've had anywhere near as many dubious game-changing decisions in our favour as they have? Absolutely no chance. Like I said - cheating at worse, pure shitebaggery at best.

I've seen us suffer from and benefit from dubious game changing or potential game changing decisions in games against Rangers, Celtic and most other clubs down through the years. I haven't counted how many have gone for or against.

The last time we beat Rangers, the winning goal that we scored had two fouls in the build up to it, first one on the defender and then the goal itself when Faddy's boot was as high as the keeper's neck, but the goal was allowed to stand. Cheating? No, just poor refereeing.

In the CIS game at Fir Park a couple of years ago, Kris Boyd scored a legitimate goal and it was wrongly disallowed for offside. Cheating? No, just poor refereeing.

In April 2005, Barry Ferguson was red carded for basically nothing after a clash with Richie Foran. Cheating? No, just poor refereeing

In 2001, we were awarded a penalty when the ball bounced and hit Fernando Ricksen's upper arm and Kelly scored to make it 2-2 and take a point for us. Cheating? No, just poor refereeing.

And earlier this season, we got a soft penalty in the 85th minute which could well have changed the game had we scored from it. Cheating, No just poor refereeing.

I will not accept for one minute that match officials cheat in order to aid or harm a particular team. Decisions go for and against you and in some games, you will got more against than for, and in others you'll get more for than against, that's just the way it works unfortunately.

Kris Boyd's goal was just as offside as Forbes.... it stood. I think that yours proof MJC.... ;)

Different situation entirely though wasn't it? The linesman would have had a different or better view of it seeing as there wouldn't have been the same players standing in his line of view or by the timing of the striker's movement.

As I said earlier, the linesmen have a split second to make these decisions. All it would take is for them to be one step off the pace or for them to lose concentration for a second and they have got it wrong.

Don't get me wrong, I am not in any way whatsoever trying to defend the decision to disallow our second goal last night. It was a shocking decision which ultimately had a direct influence on the end result, but I will not accept that it was down to cheating. It was bad officiating, nothing more, nothing less.

Different situation entirely though wasn't it? The linesman would have had a different or better view of it seeing as there wouldn't have been the same players standing in his line of view or by the timing of the striker's movement.

As I said earlier, the linesmen have a split second to make these decisions. All it would take is for them to be one step off the pace or for them to lose concentration for a second and they have got it wrong.

Don't get me wrong, I am not in any way whatsoever trying to defend the decision to disallow our second goal last night. It was a shocking decision which ultimately had a direct influence on the end result, but I will not accept that it was down to cheating. It was bad officiating, nothing more, nothing less.

Aye it was a different situation, one had Motherwell going 2-0 up and looking unstoppable, the other brought Rangers back to 1-1...

Forbes was onside because of

a. There were two defenders goal side of him when the ball was played across by Craigan

b. He started his run behind the ball (can't be offside if you're behind the last player to touch the ball)

The linesman had a brilliant view of the decision. He could see Forbes, but he could also see Craigan at least 4 yards in front of him... mistakes happen, that was worse than a fucking mistake. If a linesman can make a mistake like that then he should give up now and go back to his fucking day job

Aye it was a different situation, one had Motherwell going 2-0 up and looking unstoppable, the other brought Rangers back to 1-1...

Forbes was onside because of

a. There were two defenders goal side of him when the ball was played across by Craigan

b. He started his run behind the ball (can't be offside if you're behind the last player to touch the ball)

The linesman had a brilliant view of the decision. He could see Forbes, but he could also see Craigan at least 4 yards in front of him... mistakes happen, that was worse than a fucking mistake. If a linesman can make a mistake like that then he should give up now and go back to his fucking day job

You would think so, but only the linesman will know how good a view that he himself has got. At that situation he would have to have been watching the entire penalty box, not just Craigan, Forbes and the last Rangers defender. As I said earlier, this is when you see a good official, when they can get a call like this correct in the split second that they have. That linesman last night got it wrong, badly, badly wrong and his mistake robbed us of a second goal that would have put us well on the way to three points and for that he SHOULD be punished for it. It was a mistake, a terrible mistake no two ways about it, but a mistake none the less.

Just watched the clip on the bbc several times and the flag isn't raised until well after the ball is in the net and the players turn to clelebrate, if it was offside (which it clearly wasn't) he shold have had the flag up as soon as he saw the offence.

Would this be happening if it wasn't one or other of the old squirm or if it were not (alleged) rangers fan John Gilmour running the line ? :D

EDIT Just wanted to applaud Craig Brown for his dignity when asked about the offside goal after the game, you could just tell he was hacked off but refused to get drawn into a slanging match about it. ;)

You would think so, but only the linesman will know how good a view that he himself has got.

True enough! But from the footage it's pretty safe to assume he got a pretty good, un-unobstructed view of it?

No?

post-113-1265885636_thumb.jpg

You would think so, but only the linesman will know how good a view that he himself has got.

30tqee0.jpg

I think this proves the linesman had a perfect view here. Craigan is 5 yards from goal and has already hit the ball. You can see from his head,the linesman is looking across at the line of players, Forbes is only NOW CROSSING THE 6 YARD LINE! Even if the linesman thought Forbes was ahead of the rangers defender he is 3 yards behind the ball + 2 YARDS BEHIND THE BALL PLAYER!

You can try defend him all you want but this case is so clear cut even Donald Findley wouldnt take it on. If Forbes was inside the 6 yard box you could put it down to the linesman being a shitebag but this isnt incompetence, it isnt bottling, I am sorry to say it is simply plain cheating

Edit - pic aint coming up but click on it and itll show,even more clearly than flows still!

You would think so, but only the linesman will know how good a view that he himself has got. At that situation he would have to have been watching the entire penalty box, not just Craigan, Forbes and the last Rangers defender. As I said earlier, this is when you see a good official, when they can get a call like this correct in the split second that they have. That linesman last night got it wrong, badly, badly wrong and his mistake robbed us of a second goal that would have put us well on the way to three points and for that he SHOULD be punished for it. It was a mistake, a terrible mistake no two ways about it, but a mistake none the less.

No he wouldn't, he would have been watching for offside. In that situation the linesman's remit is to watch for offside and the referee watches the rest of the box.

It's funny how the linesman at that side spotted an offence that never took place and the linesman at the other side somehow missed the offence of Novo blatantly kicking O'Brien after the ball had gone even though it was about a yard away from him.

As has been said before at worst it's cheating and at best it's bottling it.

bottling it is "missing" a fly kick that could mean a man sent off, failing to give a soft looking penalty,only giving the last man a yellow after a foul, giving the big team the benefit in a close offside decision, or chopping off a goal for a soft/non existant challenge on a keeper,

In this incident Forbes couldnt be more onside if he started the run from his own half.

Saw Sky News this morning, it's turned into fact that our goal was disallowed for a push. As Mr MFC predicted, they'll turn anything round, baistards.

Refs and Meedja, bunch of c***s but unfortunately it's only us doing the shouting and we won't be heard above that shower of shite. Oh for someone in a position to make our views heard. :lol:

we could always get a few thousand cards printed up saying "gilmours a cheat" and hand them out to hold up before our next home game like the show racism the red card 1s. :lol:

I've seen us suffer from and benefit from dubious game changing or potential game changing decisions in games against Rangers, Celtic and most other clubs down through the years. I haven't counted how many have gone for or against.

The last time we beat Rangers, the winning goal that we scored had two fouls in the build up to it, first one on the defender and then the goal itself when Faddy's boot was as high as the keeper's neck, but the goal was allowed to stand. Cheating? No, just poor refereeing.

In the CIS game at Fir Park a couple of years ago, Kris Boyd scored a legitimate goal and it was wrongly disallowed for offside. Cheating? No, just poor refereeing.

In April 2005, Barry Ferguson was red carded for basically nothing after a clash with Richie Foran. Cheating? No, just poor refereeing

In 2001, we were awarded a penalty when the ball bounced and hit Fernando Ricksen's upper arm and Kelly scored to make it 2-2 and take a point for us. Cheating? No, just poor refereeing.

And earlier this season, we got a soft penalty in the 85th minute which could well have changed the game had we scored from it. Cheating, No just poor refereeing.

I will not accept for one minute that match officials cheat in order to aid or harm a particular team. Decisions go for and against you and in some games, you will got more against than for, and in others you'll get more for than against, that's just the way it works unfortunately.

i don't think they cheat on purpose but if he is a rangers fan then it would be in his mind that he could help his team.if you or any other motherwell fan was a ref and was doing a well game i'm sure you'd be more likely to be slightly bias towards us.