Offside Goal

maxywell

This is hardly the only country where the big teams get the big decisions.

While I think that the arguement that match officials cheat in order to assist a particular team(s) is frankly nonsensical and doesn't even deserve to be given credit by discussing it, I'm not even sure I buy into that one about 'big teams' getting the decisions either.

Look at the Celtic game back in December. They had TWO stonewall penalties denied during that game besides the one that they got and once scored a perfectly legitimate goal at Fir Park which was about two feet over the line and it wasn't given. Those were both big decisions that didn't go for 'the big team'. And there have been others aswell as I have already highlighted earlier in this thread.

It is probably fair to say that officials may occasionally be swayed by the larger crowds at Ibrox or Parkhead shouting for a decision, that is as you say not any different to any other country in the world. Go to Anfield, Old Trafford or Stamford Bridge and you'll see exactly the same thing, but even then it doesn't happen every single week.

The problem in this country is that the standard of refereeing is absolutely deploreable and you constantly see offiside decisions called wrongly, stonewall penalties being denied or penalties given for absolutely nothing and so on.... Decisions will go for you and against you and in some games, you will get more for than against or the other way around. When it goes for you, you really don't care and when it goes against you, like it did the other night then it is absolutely infuriating, especially when it deprived us of potentially beating Rangers for the first time in over seven years.

Any time I see us on the wrong end of a ridiculous decision I always think of the Celtic game at Fir Park where Johan Mjällby knocked the ball about a yard into our net and the goal wasn't given. That always sticks out as one of the most ridiculous decisions given in our favour. Think we drew the game.

Our refs and linesmen are utter shite, have no consistency, and are ridiculously unfit. This isn't even their main job, so how can they be at their best (which is probably shite anyway)?

The best thing that could happen would be for the fat linesman to admit he made an arse of it. How they can say it was for a foul when the signals are different is just silly, and Forbes was 100% right in making sure the ball went in, imagine the abuse he would have got if it narrowly missed because he left it!

Any time I see us on the wrong end of a ridiculous decision I always think of the Celtic game at Fir Park where Johan Mjällby knocked the ball about a yard into our net and the goal wasn't given. That always sticks out as one of the most ridiculous decisions given in our favour. Think we drew the game.

3-3? And was it Hugh Dallas? Not sure it was as much as a yard right enough - maybe an inch or two... <_<

To be honest, that's about the only BIG decision I can really remember us getting. I am sure there are plenty fouls/penalties atc where we likely got the benefit of the doubt but to have Celtic get a legit goal chalked off? That was BIG!

To be honest, that's about the only BIG decision I can really remember us getting.

Well, another canididate might be Paul Elliott's 'goal' in the '91 semi-final replay, that would have put them 1-0 up very early on. Given offside, but definitely wasn't.

Of course, it wasn't all that much longer until they went 1-0 up anyway, but I often wonder if the result might have been different had the first one counted. They were all over us at that point.

Even your scumbag Old Firm fans will accept a decision if it is 100% correct.

Doubt that tbh.

Most I've spoke to this week have either said it was a foul on Bougherra or ranted on about a penalty against Boyd, the state of the pitch or Boyd's offside "goal" against us last season.

I remember we got a penalty from Willie Young for a handball by Ricksen which was a joke. David Kelly scored it and we 2-2 if my memory is correct.

Aye, it virtually hit his shoulder and we got a penalty for it.

Another one I can remember was at Parkhead in about 95 or 96 when John Philliben punched the ball off the line saving a certain goal and we got away with it.

Looks like he's back down to his proper level this week-end.......

SOUTH LEAGUE

Haddington Athletic v Blackburn United - Simon MacLean

Sauchie v Broxburn Athletic - Graeme Leslie

Edinburgh United v Dalkeith Thistle - Michael Banks

Harthill Royal v Dunbar United - Scott Jamieson

Livingston United v Fauldhouse United - Neil Marshalsey

Pumpherston v Stoneyburn - John Gilmour

West Calder United v Tranent - Gianluca Marini

Thing that pisses me off is that he had the balls to speak out with what we all know to be the truth and be shouted down for it by his own fans. He was 100% correct in what he said and last night proved it. His meedja comments were also spot on and again todays deflection tactics proves it. Mouthing off on here does fuck all, he should have been backed 100% on his 'campaign' but others let Dallas off the hook and here we are with fuck all going to get done again.

We get accused of sour grapes because that decision cost us the game but when the errors are minor we might get a hearing. Think about it.

reading Dallas's interview today really pisses me off. Gannon was hung out to dry for his letters re the overall standard of refereeing and Dallas got on his high horse to defend his chums.

Then he comes out and says that the standard so far this season hasn't been good enough.

isn't that EXACTLY what Jim Gannon said to you you fucking fanny???

Head of Scottish referees' development Hugh Dallas admits match officials have been underperforming. The former World Cup referee met with Premier League managers and told them it had been a "disappointing season with some disappointing decisions".

He acknowledged that a spate of high-profile mistakes has created an air of tension among match officials.

Dallas said the meeting was "extremely fruitful" but accepts the frequency of mistakes needs to be addressed.

The most recent uproar came during last Wednesday's game between Motherwell and Rangers when referee Calum Murray, taking advice from assistant John Gilmour, appeared to wrongly rule out a Ross Forbes goal when the home side were leading 1-0.

Gilmour incorrectly flagged for offside against the Motherwell player and Rangers hit back to level the game 1-1.

"The meeting with the SPL managers was extremely fruitful," Dallas told the SFA's website.

"The conversations were enlightening, and at times robust, but I have always been in favour of open dialogue with managers face to face or over the phone rather than via the media in the immediate aftermath of a game when passions run high.

"Consistency was again high on the agenda.

o.gif "It is what we all strive for but as I explained, the problem with perceived consistency is that it is open to interpretation and opinion.

"If I am being honest, I would say this has been a disappointing season with some disappointing decisions which I wish we didn't have to analyse and talk about.

"We examine these in detail at the Referee Development Department and the first question we always ask is 'Why?'

"In order to understand the reason behind it we need to hear the reason. Obviously there have been incidents this season I have been uncomfortable with.

"I am not going to sit here and pretend mistakes have not been made but it is how the referees learn from these that is important.

"These mistakes have been honest ones but they are still mistakes and should not be happening."

Dallas added: "In saying that they have to be accepted as part of human nature in the way that players and managers make mistakes.

"Promisingly, there was an air of understanding from the meeting and that is why such gatherings are important, to get the feelings of the clubs prior to our winter training camp.

"The comments and feedback, as well as our own impressions, will form the basis for that camp.

"It is also useful to use that time to reflect on the first part of the season and tighten up in a few areas.

"We have seen this weekend - and in previous weeks - situations that only become clear when broken down and reviewed in slow motion from a variety of television camera angles.

"The referee has only one angle and a split second to make his judgment and this should not be forgotten."

reading Dallas's interview today really pisses me off. Gannon was hung out to dry for his letters re the overall standard of refereeing and Dallas got on his high horse to defend his chums.
To be fair, I think Gannon was hung out to dry for claiming (more than once) that Dallas didn't respond, when it appears that he did.

To be fair, I think Gannon was hung out to dry for claiming (more than once) that Dallas didn't respond, when it appears that he did.

Unfortunately the issue was round whether letters were recieved and appropriately handled and the genuine issues were body swerved - Gannon was the villain / Dallas was the good guy.

Bottom line Gannon was 100% correct, Dallas is 100% a fud!