Offside Goal

maxywell

Thing about this one, though, is that it was anything but a close call. Even blindfolded, anyone could see it.

I was just speaking to Stevie Wonder, even He saw it was onside!

ans for anyone looking for the e-mail -

Head of Referee Administration - Drew.Herbertson@scottishfa.co.uk

Head of Referee Development - Hugh.Dallas@scottishfa.co.uk

Dallas`s email isnt listed on the website but everyone you can see has 1stname.surname/scottishfa etc so im pretty sure Dallas will be the same

Agreed, no point beating about the bush, that linesman would not have put up his flag up to disallow a similar chance for Rangers to score.

That's a good point, and it does make you wonder. It was impossible to be offside, it just doesn't make sense. Nothing debatable about the call, it was terrible. How can officials be that bad?

whilst the linesman is rightly getting abuse, what about the referee. He was is a good enough position to overrule the linesman. If this was in England they would be demoted to lower league games for a while.

There is no defence of the decision. It was shambolic and the professional associations in this country should be embarrassed and ashamed if those officials are the best they can provide for a live game, which is broadcasted over many countries.

There are mistakes and there is cheating. If it's a mistake, then those officials should call it a day, as they will never get an easier decision to make.

I think Richmonds part comes more in the "Shat It" category, yes he had a good view but if he didnt notice Forbes before the shot or look at him the second Craggs hit the shot he might have ,while still onside looked more marginal. He should be punished as well,dont get me wrong, but the wee Gollum/Oompaloompa halfbreed running the line is fairly being slaughtered for being nothing but a cheating wee scrote

Scottish Premier League managers met at Hampden on Thursday to debate how best to tackle a lack of match action for their fringe players.

SPL age restrictions currently prevent clubs fielding anyone over aged in the Under-19 league.

An SPL spokesman said: "The managers feel there should be one league between the youth initiative and the reserve league."

Many managers have also called for the scrapping of the SPL's controversial Under-21 rule, which forces them to include a certain number of young players in their matchday squad.

The SPL spokesman added: "It's a live issue we are pursuing at the moment. We have got a group looking at it."

It is understood the SPL would scrap the rule if all their member clubs agreed to do so.

Thursday's meeting was also attended by Scottish Football Association head of referee development Hugh Dallas, who reiterated his eagerness for managers to contact him with any grievances they may have over the performance of match officials.

Hope Craig and Archie had a wee word in his shell like....

Still raging about the goal. Even if ref thought he was on he didn't have a straight line view and would be mad to overrule the linesman who was in a much better place to make the call. However had that decision gone for us and also the one when Lasley was flagged v United we'd be fourth now. Thing that pisses me off is managers like Gannon who lambast referees when their errors are minor and have no impact in the outcome of the game dilute the times that the grievance is game changing.

I gave the Buns at work pelters about this all day today. "Some decisions go for you, some against, it's the same for everyone" they replied.

MA FUCKEN BAWZ ............... I've witnessed decisions like this for over 40years.

Anyway, it's done and there's fekk all we can do about it without sounding like Chip on the Shoulder Tims.

But the most annoying thing is I reckon we could have gone on to score 3 maybe 4 unanswered goals last night :(

If Motherwell were to lose out on 4th place (or even 3rd) by 1 or 2 pts what is to stop Motherwell from sueing the SFA for loss of earnings.

It may not get anywhere but it would put real pressure on the authorities to sort this type of incident out once and for all.

How much is a place worth anyway? I would have thought it would be £150-£200K and last night could have taken us a big step closer to Dundee Utd.

If Motherwell were to lose out on 4th place (or even 3rd) by 1 or 2 pts what is to stop Motherwell from sueing the SFA for loss of earnings.

It may not get anywhere but it would put real pressure on the authorities to sort this type of incident out once and for all.

How much is a place worth anyway? I would have thought it would be £150-£200K and last night could have taken us a big step closer to Dundee Utd.

just hoping 5th gets a europa place. ;)

Still raging about the goal. Even if ref thought he was on he didn't have a straight line view and would be mad to overrule the linesman who was in a much better place to make the call. However had that decision gone for us and also the one when Lasley was flagged v United we'd be fourth now. Thing that pisses me off is managers like Gannon who lambast referees when their errors are minor and have no impact in the outcome of the game dilute the times that the grievance is game changing.

Thing that pisses me off is that he had the balls to speak out with what we all know to be the truth and be shouted down for it by his own fans. He was 100% correct in what he said and last night proved it. His meedja comments were also spot on and again todays deflection tactics proves it. Mouthing off on here does fuck all, he should have been backed 100% on his 'campaign' but others let Dallas off the hook and here we are with fuck all going to get done again.

We get accused of sour grapes because that decision cost us the game but when the errors are minor we might get a hearing. Think about it.

Thing that pisses me off is that he had the balls to speak out with what we all know to be the truth and be shouted down for it by his own fans. He was 100% correct in what he said and last night proved it. His meedja comments were also spot on and again todays deflection tactics proves it. Mouthing off on here does fuck all, he should have been backed 100% on his 'campaign' but others let Dallas off the hook and here we are with fuck all going to get done again.

We get accused of sour grapes because that decision cost us the game but when the errors are minor we might get a hearing. Think about it.

Plus one................

No point in greetin about it now chaps................

Remember it's not the Motherwell way...............

Oh don't start going down this road. It was a terrible decision but it wasn't cheating as if it was then we simply wouldn't have got any decisions atall.

Referees and linesmen have a split second to make a decision like that and that is when you see a good official, when they can get those calls correct. Unfortunately most match officials in this country are largely useless and incompetent and don't recieve the punishment that they should get for the repeated errors that they make.

But cheating? I seriously doubt that they are even competent enough to do that.

This is the first time I've been on the boards since Wendesday morning and I've tried to read through this entire thread, but I came across this post and it sums it up absolutely perfectly IMO. I don't believe they were cheating, it was just a bad decision!

Maybe the linesman didn't cheat. However, if he is a Rangers fan, then you would be naive to dimiss the fact that there may be latent bias lurking.

All very well being 'moral' about things and assuming referee's are only doing their job and have the interests of a fair match at heart- but they are human after all and favouring of certain teams is entirely possible. In every job in every walk of life people behave in different ways towards different people because of their perceptions and judgments; the assumption that referee's are any different is a fallacy. It may not be possible to prove that the linesman is a raging h*n and thats what influenced his decision (yet), however I think there is cheating in high places in Scottish football and to retain this blindly optimistic view of our officials is counterproductive. (Although they have a different culture- see Italy)

The fact the linesman had a clear view of the incident with absolutely no obstructions raises suspicions about what he saw and why the goal wasn't given. You need to be 100% sure to disallow a goal, and there was nothing which would give him reasonable doubt that it wasn't onside.

I know a high profile referee from the 80's who was a Well fan (will not mention his name). He said that when he reflected on Well games that he refereed he felt that he was always tougher on Motherwell because he was probably over compensating for any natural bias he may have had.

I also watched him and his family get death threats and intimidation from OF fans after games he refereed that the OF were involved in. They had to have their phone number changed on many occasions.

I think the decision last night was based on fear. As many of these decisions are. Self preservation kicks in and officials bottle it. That is why there will never be a fair system of refereeing in this country. What makes it worse is that the Press perpetuate and support the problem.

I think the decision last night was based on fear.

I don't get that argument as it was a legitimate goal. I don't for one second think the linesman thought "Oh, i better give offside incase i get my windows put in.." We were already one nil up so at that point we were taking three points anyway.

I'm with MJC and GazzyB, yes I am absolutely sickened by the decision, but in all honestly i think it was just sheer incompetence not cheating!

I think technology unfortunatley could be the only answer.

Decisions like that could ultimately mean we lose out on european qualification, that could mean we miss out on signing one or two new players. It could also mean we lose one ore two new players from the youth system, the next Faddy maybe. Yes, that may be extreme but it underlines the consequences of these officials decisons.

Looking at the bigger picture decisions like that for worse off teams may mean relegation, job losses and administration....

The fact that you would have to prove that we would have won the game if we scored.

The fact that we'd have to prove we didn't benefit from *any* questionable decisions in our favour during our league campaign.

The fact that we'd have to prove other teams around us in the league were less penalised by questionable decisions.

The fact that the SFA/SPL could just kick us out the league.

The fact that it would cost us money that we don't possess.

Just to name a few.

Absolutely!

We get accused of sour grapes because that decision cost us the game but when the errors are minor we might get a hearing

In a nutshell.

I think the decision last night was based on fear. As many of these decisions are. Self preservation kicks in and officials bottle it. That is why there will never be a fair system of refereeing in this country. What makes it worse is that the Press perpetuate and support the problem.

Which is why Video Technology should be used in this country before any other!! Even your scumbag Old Firm fans will accept a decision if it is 100% correct. Their vile will be spouted upon another party - perhaps the opposition manager or players for their 'agenda' in trying against them.

On Wednesday night it would have taken around 15 seconds for the Ref to radio-mike a punter watching ESPN replays and confirm the goal as legitimate. 15 seconds. It took more than 15 seconds for players surrounding the referee and the game to start again!!

It happens in sports all over the world to great effect.

Why not Football? Are the powers that be worried that the influences that football powerhouses wield across Europe will be neutralised leaving the iconic 'big' clubs in jeaprody of failing?

You have to ask...

Which is why Video Technology should be used in this country before any other!!
This is hardly the only country where the big teams get the big decisions. Every league in the world suffers from this. In fact, after we were relegated, we were the 'big' team in the First Division and received more than a few favourable decisions ourselves.

If we did go down the video technology route, it should only be for very specific cases and I'd like to see it follow the American football approach i.e. the officials make the call on the field and it can only be changed if the video evidence shows irrefutable proof that the decision was wrong. If there is any doubt, then the decision on the pitch stands.

The big problem is, of course, that games like American Football have far superior coverage with their multiple cameras. In situations like offside, unless the camera is exactly in line with the players in question, the angles can be easily skewed and make it difficult or impossible to get an accurate read.