Jim O'brien

BarnsleyFCFan

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest JohnnyDefault

I've heard that they're gonna start selling humble pie in the refreshment kiosks at Fir Park.

Early days / Still miles to go - but guys on here a few months back . . . . . . :(

Shows you how fickle a bunch we are - didn't see many, in any of the 3 'well stands, sitting on their arses NOT giving him a standing ovation when he went off.

Not that many owning up for fancying a slice of the humple pie either :lol:

Attacking-wise, thought we were pretty poor, O'Brien was the best player we had going forward, put in a lot of effort but loses the ball too often and his end product is dreadful at times. If he keep up the work rate and can work on his delivery then he might even win me over.

MOM was totally undeserved in my opinion last night, The Klump was the stand-out for me and looks like a real find. Big Boabs days are numbered.

McGhee obviously has an overall plan for the way he wants us to play. So even if he brings in a player with potential, there is still a lot of work required to fit him into the system. He made that clear in is radio interview again last night where he mentioned that he told Jim "if the guy that coached you when your were 9 years old saw you today, he'd see exactly the same player" (or words to that effect). It seems, however, that he is now taking on board what is required to play in the MM system, and it's starting to pay off.

I think nearly every 'Well fan should be dining on humble pie with regards to Jim O'Brien. Certainly not without a few flaws and obviously still a long way to go with what he can bring to the team, but definately looks to have a few tricks and attributes that obviously attracted the signing to be made in the first place.

In everyones defense though, certainly from my point of view, we were frustrated about the lack of signings in the summer and he was one of very few. I think we all felt, if he's been signed he should be playing, and he wasn't. Coupled with the line McGhee said a few times "I won't sign anyone unless he's better than what we've got" and we all started to wonder what was going on!

Same goes for Klimpl. I was far from impressed when I saw him at centre half in his initial games. However his presence in midfield has been very influential in the last 3 games. I also loved the way he went round all the 'Well players last night at full time giving them the "double high 5's"!! Seemed to very much enjoy the victory and it's good to see the players feel that.

Guest JohnnyDefault
I think nearly every 'Well fan should be dining on humble pie with regards to Jim O'Brien. Certainly not without a few flaws and obviously still a long way to go with what he can bring to the team, but definately looks to have a few tricks and attributes that obviously attracted the signing to be made in the first place.

In everyones defense though, certainly from my point of view, we were frustrated about the lack of signings in the summer and he was one of very few. I think we all felt, if he's been signed he should be playing, and he wasn't. Coupled with the line McGhee said a few times "I won't sign anyone unless he's better than what we've got" and we all started to wonder what was going on!

Same goes for Klimpl. I was far from impressed when I saw him at centre half in his initial games. However his presence in midfield has been very influential in the last 3 games. I also loved the way he went round all the 'Well players last night at full time giving them the "double high 5's"!! Seemed to very much enjoy the victory and it's good to see the players feel that.

Good post milo!

Not like Well fans to harshly judge a player too quickly is it?!! :whistling:

Having said that he did make a slow start to his Motherwell career, but if he keeps up this level of effort and can improve his final ball, we'll have a real prospect on our hands.

Keep it up Jim.

Not like Well fans to harshly judge a player too quickly is it?!! :whistling:

Having said that he did make a slow start to his Motherwell career, but if he keeps up this level of effort and can improve his final ball, we'll have a real prospect on our hands.

Not the first, unfortunately. Martyn Corrigan and Paul Lambert also suffered from it before going onwards and upwards as I remember. Hopefully J O'B hits the same giddy heights as those 2.

Talk of eating humble pie is a bit OTT is it not?

All folk did was make a judgement on a player what they'd seen. Can anyone honestly say they didn't question why McGhee had signed him when he wasn't getting a game?

Jim O'Brien has improved in the last few games and the standing ovation he received last night will let him know that if he continues to apply himself and work as hard as he did last night then he'll be treated well by the fans. Yes he has other parts of his game which he has to work on and yes it wrong if he's been abused in the past but if he'd put in the same effort at the start of the season then no one would have an issue with him.

Before anyone jumps on my back, I haven't abused Jim in the past and have only questioned his place in the squad on the little action which no one can say meant he deserved a regular starting place. The guy has had a couple of good games but had yet to really do anything of any real note. Like everyone I hope he progresses from this and goes on to become a danger man. Just goes to show that you can only be Shite or Shit Hot on here wi no inbetween!

Milo took the words out my mouth

I can honestly say I never criticised O'Brien. However, I openly criticised McGhee for not giving him a fair chance. When you've only got ten minutes to impress you suffer from the 'trying too hard' syndrome. O'Brien has shown that he has the bit of flair that we require.

Also, doesn'y look as much a jakey now. :rolleyes:

Talk of eating humble pie is a bit OTT is it not?

I agree.

O'Brien worked his socks off last night but we aren't running a sprint team. There was no deliver from him, no incisive passing, no shots on goal, no actual football basically.

Klimpl did OK but who was he playing against? Hearts were shocking last night, one of the worst teams I've seen this season or last. They were absolutely toothless and let's be honest about it he wasn't exactly stretched was he? Klimpl was comfortable because he was under no pressure whatsoever. He looked better in the midfield role than as a defender but I'll withhold judgement until he's actually given a test.

Klimpl at least did his job because Hearts were restricted to one headed chance and a long range shot but O'Brien? We did nothing offensively last night apart from the goal.

I've said it before but its all extremes on this board, everything is either superb or dismal, there is no middle or degrees of that. O'Brien showed effort (which is good) but other than that there wasn't much to write home about in what was overall a poor match.

I agree.

O'Brien worked his socks off last night but we aren't running a sprint team. There was no deliver from him, no incisive passing, no shots on goal, no actual football basically.

Klimpl did OK but who was he playing against? Hearts were shocking last night, one of the worst teams I've seen this season or last. They were absolutely toothless and let's be honest about it he wasn't exactly stretched was he? Klimpl was comfortable because he was under no pressure whatsoever. He looked better in the midfield role than as a defender but I'll withhold judgement until he's actually given a test.

Klimpl at least did his job because Hearts were restricted to one headed chance and a long range shot but O'Brien? We did nothing offensively last night apart from the goal.

I've said it before but its all extremes on this board, everything is either superb or dismal, there is no middle or degrees of that. O'Brien showed effort (which is good) but other than that there wasn't much to write home about in what was overall a poor match.

I have to disagree. O'Brien was involved in most of our chances last night in one way or another. I also feel that he won the ball back on many occasions which few others in the team seemed capable of doing.

I have to disagree. O'Brien was involved in most of our chances last night in one way or another. I also feel that he won the ball back on many occasions which few others in the team seemed capable of doing.

I think the point is we didn't have any chances! There was one before we scored, the goal and a big punt up the park that the keeper cleared and that was it.

I think the point is we didn't have any chances! There was one before we scored, the goal and a big punt up the park that the keeper cleared and that was it.

The 2 through balls that clarky couldn't get on the end of, and his chest down and volley. theres at least three I can remember.