Jim O'brien

BarnsleyFCFan

Naw, because International football and club football differ.

Club football is a job and you get paid to do it, International football is an honour in which you are selected in a squad of the best football players from your country to represent the whole nation, granted you get some sort of payment but thats not what its about. Your club is a choice (and you have made the right one :ph34r: ), while your country shouldn't be.

If Jim O'Brien wasnt a football player I bet you he'd be one of those cretins that follow Cellic draped in the tri-colour of Ireland singing songs about potatoes and the 'old country', thats why I struggle to take to him.

Would you say and feel the same if it was someone who would supported rangers and sang their bile? or is your problem that you are a bigot?

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't remember anybody within the 'Well support having any ill feeling toward certian other Scottish, ROI internationals to grace the Claret and Amber, Owen Coyle and more notably Tommy Coyne m'lord.

Good post HMS.

I have no idea why this has all flared up so much recently - like you say it was never a problem in the past for folk who turned up to see the 'well. Either for players in our team or players anywhere else. Those type of issues should never come into it for a Motherwell support.

One of the biggest criticisms / wind ups we get is that we're '*banned word* without the bus fare'. It's becoming harder to deflect that one these days.

One of the biggest criticisms / wind ups we get is that we're '*banned word* without the bus fare'. It's becoming harder to deflect that one these days.

Though in my time of going to Fir Park I can't say that there's ever been a biggotted atmosphere, if there were I certainly wouldn't go to the games with my wife and would think twice about going myself. That very thing is the main reason to hate the OF.

I've always liked the fact that our fans the vast majority of the time either support (or actually more often moan about) the team. This whole "you're in the wrong f*ckin country" stuff that had been coming up recently is completely cringworthy.

IMO, the whole H*ns without a busfare thing is, and has always been nonsense. A typical Old Firm viewpoint that as always shows that they cannot believe that any aspect of scottsh football might not be about them.

Anyhow. Back on topic :ph34r: . I reckon JOB has started to prove his doubters wrong, he's had a few good performances and is looking better match by match. Still got a fair bit to go to prove that he really is the real deal, he does need to work on his final ball, but he is still a young boy after all.

Anybody who knows me, knows that I have the same degree of contempt for both halves of the OF.

I regard myself as a Scottish Motherwell fan, have no time for religion, both sides of my family have roots in Southern Ireland also, and certainly wouldn't class myself as British. My annoyance at these people who decide to play for another country comes from the pride that I have in my country, and teh fact that I would cut my right bollock off to have a chance to play for Scotland at any sport.

I would be a hypocrite if I said that what O'Brien (and McLean) have done isn't as bad (in my eyes) as what McGeady, McCarthy have done.

As for Tommy Coyne? He waited a fair while on a Scotland call-up and even asked the SFA what his chances were (as did Ray Houghton), before defecting. Again this isn't something I would do and can'y understand how you can be Irish (or any other nationality) and Scottish.

Anyhow. Back on topic :ph34r: . I reckon JOB has started to prove his doubters wrong, he's had a few good performances and is looking better match by match. Still got a fair bit to go to prove that he really is the real deal, he does need to work on his final ball, but he is still a young boy after all.

I completely agree with this statement regarding Jim, he has looked better game by game, but needs to improve a few aspects of his game before he'll get a standing ovation off me.

If he's the "real" deal he ain't going to be playing with Motherwell is he!

I dont understand that one WF1984

He could still have been a Celtic player - it was his shout to try and find more regular first team football after being loaned out - but Strachan attempted to keep him at Porkheid.

Are you saying we don't have 'real' deals at 'well?

Are you saying we only attract a certain standard and thats what we need to accept?

Not having ago, just don't understand the post mate, sorry

Nope. We have had real deals, but once he becomes the real deal in the eyes of the Fir Park fans is the day he plays for the best clubs in Europe. lets face it we could have Messi in our team and he wouldn't be the real deal to some fans because he didn't set the heather a light at the start.

Motherwell are what we are. Bring the lads through, and put them in the shop window... or sign them on two year contracts and get screwed by the big boys :notworthy:

Nope. We have had real deals, but once he becomes the real deal in the eyes of the Fir Park fans is the day he plays for the best clubs in Europe. lets face it we could have Messi in our team and he wouldn't be the real deal to some fans because he didn't set the heather a light at the start.

Motherwell are what we are. Bring the lads through, and put them in the shop window... or sign them on two year contracts and get screwed by the big boys :notworthy:

Got ya!

You may have a point about the most vocal Well fans, but certainly not all of us.

I enjoy seeing the boys come through, and getting their big move.

2 year contracts swing both ways - we get to offload the dead wood as well.

I'd certainly like to give longer contracts to some, but would love to find out what the difference is contractually between a 2 and 3 year contract - presumably its more than just the term and a bit of money?

Motherwell are what we are. Bring the lads through, and put them in the shop window... or sign them on two year contracts and get screwed by the big boys :D

If I'm reading this correctly you're basically moaning that "the Fir Park fans" are negative and to prove your point you're replying to a positive post in a negative fashion. Where's the point in that?

Or am I missing the point completely?

Naw, because International football and club football differ.

Club football is a job and you get paid to do it, International football is an honour in which you are selected in a squad of the best football players from your country to represent the whole nation, granted you get some sort of payment but thats not what its about. Your club is a choice (and you have made the right one :P ), while your country shouldn't be.

If Jim O'Brien wasnt a football player I bet you he'd be one of those cretins that follow Cellic draped in the tri-colour of Ireland singing songs about potatoes and the 'old country', thats why I struggle to take to him.

You sound exactly like the type of person that gives us the "H u n s without a bus fare" tag.

Get over it.

I know a fair few who do that, but come International Week have travelled all over Europe to watch Scotland? And I know a lot of them who do that, do it to wind up the bigots... So what's Your point?

Im just wondering why MM plays him down the LEFT wing when he cant kick feck all with his left foot. He's NO chance by the way of getting any international caps with the Republic anyway. :P .

The last 2 games tho he has been playing at RIGHT wing with fitzy on the left for most of it!

I know a fair few who do that, but come International Week have travelled all over Europe to watch Scotland? And I know a lot of them who do that, do it to wind up the bigots... So what's Your point?

The point is the guy doesn't agree with it. They're supporting a Scottish team in a Scottish league so what's the point in wearing Irish colours? Hibs and Dundee United fans don't do it so why should Celtic fans? If they do it to wind up the bigots is that not contributing to bigotry?

The point is the guy doesn't agree with it. They're supporting a Scottish team in a Scottish league so what's the point in wearing Irish colours? Hibs and Dundee United fans don't do it so why should Celtic fans? If they do it to wind up the bigots is that not contributing to bigotry?

Correct!!!!

I'm no bigot, but I hate those who continue the bigotry a la Celtic and Rangers fans.

I can't take to Jim O'Brien because he has decided he's Irish when really he is nothing of the sort.

He had an OK game yesterday, but his distribution was hellish (again), it was that bad he ran Paul Quinn close on worst distributio on the park :rolleyes:

I thought Quinns distribution was terrible, particularly in the 2nd half when we were chasing the game. O'Briens free-kicks were woeful as well.

Just shows how folk see things differently. I thought he had a good game and made about 2 errors in the whole match (both poor crosses), for which he was loudly and unfairly lambasted by some. His charges up and down our right flank caused Falkirk a lot of trouble. He was still going strong at full time. Says a lot for his fitness levels. It also says something when opposition managers concentrate their fire on our left flank.

Correct!!!!

I'm no bigot, but I hate those who continue the bigotry a la Celtic and Rangers fans.

I can't take to Jim O'Brien because he has decided he's Irish when really he is nothing of the sort.

He had an OK game yesterday, but his distribution was hellish (again), it was that bad he ran Paul Quinn close on worst distributio on the park :rolleyes:

That's rubbish, O'Brien has already said he supports Scotland but let's face it i don't think he'd ever have got a game for Scotland. Same as Brian McLean when he chose to play for Ireland he always said he was a Scotland supporter. He has done absolutely nothing wrong in playing for Ireland, he has only went along with the rules which he is within his rights to do so.