Ins & Outs

LadywellToi

players likely to be here in july. randolph, hollis, saunders, hutchinson, page, craigan, hammell, lasley, hateley, humphrey, pollock, murphy, mchugh. 13 players plus possibly halsman, meechan and quinn.

Aye, well, we were in a worse situation when Gannon took over. This summer will be the real test for McCall. Still not convinced we won't see Jennings (betting story might put some off) and Sutton (seems happy here) in the team next season. If we don't, someone else will come in. As I said, I remember when McGhee left, we lost Graeme Smith, Stephen Hughes, David Clarkson, Paul Quinn and had lost Porter in the January. A lot of the young guys that had to step up then will have to do so again next season. Difference is, they've got a good few games under their belt.

One of the major jobs for McCall this summer aside from bringing players in, will be to try and figure out how to get the best of out the likes of Murphy (trying to turn him into a more natural striker who will play more narrow), Forbes (try and get out of him what Gannon got from him) and Saunders (is he a centre back or a full back)...

It won't be dull...

I tend to agree but that's another reason for us to not dip into the transfer market this window. Again unless it's a free agent we can tie up beyond the summer.

Jennings, you could argue is an example of short term thinking as he has only signed one year deals the past two summers.

Facts are we and almost every other club in Scotland are turning to short term loan signings because they simply do not have the finances to offer longer contracts.

The days of three or even two year contracts are rapidly coming to an end. And if you can only afford 1 year or 6 month contracts why not bring in loan deals if they are better quality than the free agents available?

I'd imagine Jennings was one of the higher paid players in the squad, so it may well be that we can only afford to offer him a contract depending on a high league finish, cup success or European qualification.

Incidentally, Andy Webster has just been released by Rangers. A new partner for Hutchinson or too ambitious...?

I rate Webster highly.

Excellent defender who is also decent at getting on the score sheet. Unfortunately probably far too good to end up at Fir Park.

Webster is an interesting one. Played a full season at Dundee United hardly missing a game. Went back to Rangers and couldn't stay fit. Either Rangers' medical staff are atrocious or there is something that Dundee United were doing something to keep him fit that Rangers weren't doing. I find that hard to believe as Webster himself must have been aware of how he had been kept fit while at Tannadice.

The fact that he has struggled to stay fit at Ibrox might put some off. Still suspect we might see him sign for Dundee United or Hearts...

Although I'd like to have seen a good old fashioned centre forward coming in, I'm not too stressed about how things have panned out. Glad we didn't panic.

I'm sure we'll pick someone up from the 'released by mutual consent' pool.

Anyone know if anyone has drawn a list of these players up?

Totally disappointed by the club's failure to bring someone in. From a relatively good feeling on Sunday to feeling down today. Anyone can see we badly need a goal scorer, if we had one I think we would have beaten Rangers on Sunday.We did play well but had no penetration up front.

As has been pointed out we have freed up some significant wages and taken some cash for Reynolds so surely the board could have supported the manager in getting someone in. Clearly we could afford someone as we had Grella lined up but why no one else?

This inactivity will further depress the gates as we start to slip down the table (not implying relegation but we are heading for lower mid table). Short sighted by the board.

Although I'd like to have seen a good old fashioned centre forward coming in, I'm not too stressed about how things have panned out. Glad we didn't panic.

I'm sure we'll pick someone up from the 'released by mutual consent' pool.

Anyone know if anyone has drawn a list of these players up?

http://www.givemefootball.com/pfa-transfer-list

theres a current list of free agents in the UK

I love how everyone is humping and hawing about us not getting a striker. Does anyone not stop and think that maybe there were strikers out there, but were not as good as what we have?

The transfer market isn't this endless pot of quality free players.

I love how everyone is humping and hawing about us not getting a striker. Does anyone not stop and think that maybe there were strikers out there, but were not as good as what we have?

It is if Febian Brandy is a free agent which he totally is ;)

Well they must be really shite then!!!! ;)

My point is that strikers over any other players cost more - so the need to pay that bit extra for them. We were willing to bring in Grella so why not someone else? I have heard we tried and failed for a number of players. No doubt wages being a big part of the problem. I am not advocating panic here but surely there was a CF available who could have added something to the team.

Aye, but Chris Hogg was released and we didn't sign him. DISGRACE.

But aye, theres no point throwing money away.

Webster is an interesting one. Played a full season at Dundee United hardly missing a game. Went back to Rangers and couldn't stay fit. Either Rangers' medical staff are atrocious or there is something that Dundee United were doing something to keep him fit that Rangers weren't doing. I find that hard to believe as Webster himself must have been aware of how he had been kept fit while at Tannadice.

I've heard that Webster has bottled it at the thought of playing for a club the stature of Rangers. All these injuries are feigned because the pressure gets to him and he can't hack it.

....and thats why he isn't fancied at Rangers (by McCoist, etc) because he's been sussed out and the blue-blooded Rangers personel ain't having it.

He'll start next game for Hearts after he signs!

I've heard that Webster has bottled it at the thought of playing for a club the stature of Rangers. All these injuries are feigned because the pressure gets to him and he can't hack it.

That might explain why he only played like 20 games for Dundee Utd and was their captain and won a trophy with them ;) pure bottle merchant