Ins & Outs

LadywellToi

As said above, it's fine to say that the young guys could fill in, but with only one window to make signings between now and the end of the season it makes sense to ensure that we're covered in every area. If we stand pat and go with what we have, what if one of these kids gets injured, or turns out to be shite? We lost four players from an already small squad, and we should be looking to replace all four. We are still in two cups, and have some fixture congestion coming up so we'll need a squad.

+1

Apparent on this board that players with genuine ability aren't welcomed at Fir Park.

Its all very well having talent but you have to convert it into performances on a reasonably consistent basis. Ok even the best players don't turn it on every game but they should be able to perform in most games. In his second second season Hughes may have turned it on once every 4 or 5 games.

Another similar player in theory, although not nearly as good was Brian Kerr. Again a guy with talent in bucket loads but he rarley showed it.

Nothing that hasn't already been said, but looks like cheap signings almost as concerning as Malpas's trio. Hope thelinks with Premiership clubs hasn't dried up as the Everton and Blackburn loans worked well for each club and player. This is not a go at McCall, but the financial constraints he is under if this is the best we can bring in...albeit a bride til end of season .

Gella will no doubt offer fresh competition, and McCall obviously trusts that Jones can have an impact having previously worked with him. I think that while neither will be the most skillful players we hav had, they will add some attitude and aggression that is badly missing...as talented as some of our youths are I don't think any are tough enough to handle the battles we will face from teams desperate to avoid relegation.

I thought with the sale of Reynolds and Cup progression the board could have allowed some extra funds to properly replace the guys that left. Maybe they are holding back til nxt season as all clubs would probably go for broke to ensure top flight survival.

Glad we have made two signings but if I'm honest I'm like a few other posters on here. Wary of our second of the day. Still, we will have a clearer picture on Saturday night whether getting Jones up here was a touch of genius or a moment of madness. Did think our new left sided winger would be at LEAST 10 years younger.

Surprised you'd judge him after 90 minutes or less mate. For me his age is irrelevant as he is only with us for 6 months before returning to his parent club. If he was an acquisition we'd used part of the £100k Reynolds cash then I'd share your wariness.

Fizoxy has a point, if we'd speculated on the transfer front well in advance of Odense then it may have made that extra bit of difference this season. With our current league position and cup progress it would be nice and hopeful to think that we'd take a punt, however I think those days were 5 years ago with an average attendance 1,000 more than at present and more interest from broadcasters at least.

i thought that grella at leeds was the oldish scandanavian midfielder that played for blackburn. wandered why leeds played him up front :lol:

Welcome aboard Mike

Vince Grella's Australian not Scandanavian.

The Leeds boy sounds like he could be a bit of a player but he sounds very similar to Murphy so just wondeing if there's room in the team for both of them.

We have a tiny squad. We could bring in 7 or 8 players and have enough room for them.

It's not when you look at the official site - there are a lot of young players that may potentially be on the verges of breaking in. Bringing in 7 or 8 players would destroy that.

Plus, we wouldn't have enough room for them financially.

These new signings have no impact on next season's budget. We lost four players, and so far we have replaced them with two short-term replacements.

Most of these young guys are out on loan getting regular games away from the east stand, and when they're ready they'll get their chance in the first team. The plan hasn't changed for them since the start of the season, and it shouldn't. Losing a couple of players doesn't make them more ready. Relying on the youngsters to suddenly step up halfway through the season is a huge risk to take and could shatter their confidence. For every McFadden, Hammel and Clarkson there's a Fagan or a Ramsay.

What I meant was that even if the guy is similar to Murphy, that's hardly an issue.

If they have very similar styles of play & play in the same position then it doesn't matter how big or small the squad is there is only one of that position & obviously only one of them cam play there meaning the other one doesn't play or gets played out of position. Or are you suggesting that as our squad is so small both our goalkeepers should be playing in the team.

We lost Blackman and Gow, and there has been rumours of Sutton, Casagolda and Murphy all leaving. It seems like a no brainer that we should sign a striker. If we didn't sign one and then we lost someone on the last day of the window most people on here would be livid.

Nothing that hasn't already been said, but looks like cheap signings almost as concerning as Malpas's trio. Hope thelinks with Premiership clubs hasn't dried up as the Everton and Blackburn loans worked well for each club and player. This is not a go at McCall, but the financial constraints he is under if this is the best we can bring in...albeit a bride til end of season .

Gella will no doubt offer fresh competition, and McCall obviously trusts that Jones can have an impact having previously worked with him. I think that while neither will be the most skillful players we hav had, they will add some attitude and aggression that is badly missing...as talented as some of our youths are I don't think any are tough enough to handle the battles we will face from teams desperate to avoid relegation.

I thought with the sale of Reynolds and Cup progression the board could have allowed some extra funds to properly replace the guys that left. Maybe they are holding back til nxt season as all clubs would probably go for broke to ensure top flight survival.

The guys are loans.....we are not buying them !!!!

It's the same as in any business these days, there's much less cash coming in than is going out. And we have to budget accordingly as the banks are not anywhere near as approachable as they used to be. Just ask Rangers.

good luck to him

I've liked what I have seen of him - he just hasn't had as much game time as he'd have liked

fingers crossed he gets some goals and comes back full of confidence

anyone know what came of Liam Buchanan? highly thought of a few seasons back

Surprised you'd judge him after 90 minutes or less mate. For me his age is irrelevant as he is only with us for 6 months before returning to his parent club. If he was an acquisition we'd used part of the £100k Reynolds cash then I'd share your wariness.

Fizoxy has a point, if we'd speculated on the transfer front well in advance of Odense then it may have made that extra bit of difference this season. With our current league position and cup progress it would be nice and hopeful to think that we'd take a punt, however I think those days were 5 years ago with an average attendance 1,000 more than at present and more interest from broadcasters at least.

His age isn't irrelevant though. It is very relevant. Whilst I expect McCall's signings in the summer to be of the 'Gannon ilk' (young free agents from English lower leagues) the panic button should not be hit over Jones signing. However at 34, and his history of injuries, the question HAS to be asked whether he has the pace, and physical durability for the Scottish game. The second part will take longer to suss out. The first part, as I said should be common knowledge by Saturday night.

IIRC correctly, he's a right footed player who likes to cut in albeit, he isnt afraid to have a go with his left peg

he's a tall gangly player who can hopefully help us create chances and get the ball in the box for Sutton

I'm not overly concerned that he's 34 - we could have brought in younger players who could be just as bad............malcolm, keegan, molloy and numerous other players who we have had on trial

I think we need to accept that if a player is great in every sense, then they WONT be signing for Motherwell - he WILL have some shortcomings

Jamie Murphy is a talented player - but he wont make the top grade cos he's too slight

John Sutton is a great player for us - but he wont make it as he's not as quick as other strikers

Mark Reynolds is a another example - great player, but wont make the top grade as he isnt as bulky as other centre halves

We are Motherwell - and sometimes I think we forget that. yes, we all want the best we can get, but we have to be realistic. As long as these guys give 100%, then that will do for me