Ins & Outs

LadywellToi

Humphrey pens contract extension

Motherwell Football Club are today delighted to confirm that winger Chris Humphrey has signed a one-year extension to his current contract.

The Jamaican-born winger has been in sensational form this term, so much so, a call-up to Craig Levein’s Scotland squad has been muted in some quarters.

The deal brings an end to a month of transfer speculation in which he has been linked with various clubs both north and south of the border.

Despite interest from both north and south of the border, the 23-year-old has penned an extended deal that will keep him at Fir Park until the summer of 2013.

Speaking exclusively to motherwellfc.co.uk, Humphrey said, “When the club approached me and asked if I would sign an extension to my contract it was an immediate answer.

“When my family and I were going through a very difficult time the Club and the fans offered us amazing support. We are very much settled here and I could not be happier than to agree to extend my contract with a club that offers the support that we received when we needed it.

“I just hope I can perform to the best of my ability and repay the faith shown in me by both the club and the fans.”

Chief Executive Leeann Dempster added, “This is yet another example of the club trying to keep the best young talent here at Motherwell and I, along with the rest of the board and the manager, am thrilled Chris has agreed to extend his deal. Chris has been excellent and this show of loyalty to the club should not be underplayed.”

Motherwell have tonight completed the signing of Blackburn Rovers defender Gavin Gunning on loan until the end of the season.

Gunning, an Irish U21 International, has had loan spells with Tranmere Rovers, Rotherham and, most recently, League Two outfit Bury.

The 20-year-old joins the club as cover for the departed Mark Reynolds, who left for Sheffield Wednesday earlier in the transfer window.

Speaking exclusively to motherwellfc.co.uk, ‘Well boss Stuart McCall said, “It’s been no secret that we have been looking for a left sided centre-back.““

Young Gavin is a good option, not just to fill the void left by Mark Reynolds but also the fact we had no natural cover for Stevie Hammell.

We needed someone who could also fill in at left-back if required; previously, either Reynolds or Marc Fitzpatrick would do that but given both have left, it was important to have someone versatile for that role.

“We have some really talented youngsters coming through on the left flank but they are not quite ready as yet.

“Gavin is someone who is highly rated at Blackburn and, importantly, someone who has experience of being out on loan before. Sometimes young lads can get overawed going out for the first time but given he’s been at Tranmere, Rotherham and Bury means he’ll have experienced different styles of football at different clubs.

“We’re excited to see how well he does here.”

Gunning has already received clearance and is eligible to play in Sunday’s Co-operative Insurance Cup Semi Final at Hampden.

hmm i thought the priority would be a centre mid and a forward, hopefully we still have enough free wages for both. Wish Gunning all the best but i hope he doesn't take Hutchy's place in the team.

On a side note can't Page play left back? or does McCall see him as not ready

not impressed at all with this,this guy better not walk into the team. Jordan Halsman has knocked back another loan to Annan + He is a left back so no idea wtf McCall is on about no left back cover for Hammell, and what must Hutch + Page be thinking? add experience aye but not sign a premiership youngster for the sake of signing a premiership youngster. We need someone to score goals,not some 20 year old defender

not impressed at all with this,this guy better not walk into the team. Jordan Halsman has knocked back another loan to Annan + He is a left back so no idea wtf McCall is on about no left back cover for Hammell, and what must Hutch + Page be thinking? add experience aye but not sign a premiership youngster for the sake of signing a premiership youngster. We need someone to score goals,not some 20 year old defender

You don't even have a clue what this player is like yet you say that he better not walk into the team.

He's pish.........on FM ! What is McCall thinking of ?

What if he's better than Hutchinson and Page? Just a thought...

I presume Halsman is one of those "not quite ready yet". Possibly he'll be backup for Hammell next season...?

You don't even have a clue what this player is like yet you say that he better not walk into the team.

Yip, we have our own young defenders to develop, remember, we need to develop players to sell! I should have been more specific, he better not walk into the team in place of Hutch! (if he`s great and displaces Craggs,who is a bombscare just now,then while not ideal I wouldnt complain) Hutch is OUR PLAYER and has come in and been more than capable so how much of a kick in the balls would it be if he was then punted out the team for some young loan signing who will fuck off back to Blackburn Reserves,Rochdale or wherever else in the summer?

As for Halsman, the kid has been a revelation in the 3rd Division this season,surely good enough to be back up incase Hammell gets injured,we also have Page who can be emergency cover

Yip, we have our own young defenders to develop, remember, we need to develop players to sell! I should have been more specific, he better not walk into the team in place of Hutch! (if he`s great and displaces Craggs,who is a bombscare just now,then while not ideal I wouldnt complain) Hutch is OUR PLAYER and has come in and been more than capable so how much of a kick in the balls would it be if he was then punted out the team for some young loan signing who will fuck off back to Blackburn Reserves,Rochdale or wherever else in the summer?

As for Halsman, the kid has been a revelation in the 3rd Division this season,surely good enough to be back up incase Hammell gets injured,we also have Page who can be emergency cover

You could say that about every position on the park about our own players, so what do we do? don't sign anyone because we have our own players?

You could say that about every position on the park about our own players, so what do we do? don't sign anyone because we have our own players?

Of course we need to strengthen the team,It would be foolish to think otherwise,BUT the defender we needed was someone in the Steve Jones mould to help with experience not some kid for the sake of signing someone.

We have not 1 attacking midfielder in our 1st team squad, bring in a premiership kid (or anyone for that matter) in that position, our strikers are struggling to score goals and are short in numbers, bring in a premiership kid to replace Blackman + Gow. Forbes has struggled a bit so bring in another midfielder and let Forbes work on his fitness and develop a bit

But in defence, Reynolds has left and Hutchinson has come into the first team and proved himself very capable, Page has also come in and proved himself very capable so how does it benefit us to fuck them out the team to fit in a kid as young/younger than them who will be off in 4 months? whats that gonna do for their confidence?

We need more than 1 player for each position. Just because we signed a left-back first, doesn't mean that is the only area McCall is trying to fill, or that it is even his top priority. It just means it was the deal he could get tied up first.

We have not 1 attacking midfielder in our 1st team squad, bring in a premiership kid (or anyone for that matter) in that position, our strikers are struggling to score goals and are short in numbers, bring in a premiership kid to replace Blackman + Gow. Forbes has struggled a bit so bring in another midfielder and let Forbes work on his fitness and develop a bit

But in defence, Reynolds has left and Hutchinson has come into the first team and proved himself very capable, Page has also come in and proved himself very capable so how does it benefit us to fuck them out the team to fit in a kid as young/younger than them who will be off in 4 months? whats that gonna do for their confidence?

Agree with this!

Yip, we have our own young defenders to develop, remember, we need to develop players to sell! I should have been more specific, he better not walk into the team in place of Hutch! (if he`s great and displaces Craggs,who is a bombscare just now,then while not ideal I wouldnt complain)

I wouldn't say Craigan has been a bomb scare recently but I wasn't at Perth. He is however,suffering from being played out of position at left centre-half to allow Hutchison to play on the right. I like Hutchison but the manager obviously doesn't fancy testing him on the left side and neither did the previous manager. This suggests we need a left-sided centre-back.

Obviously we do,you need a squad to compete. And Im sure McCall will bring in attacking players before deadline but I certainly feel this signing was the wrong kinda player,we needed experience but if this guy is all we can manage its a body in and better than nothing, My only problem with that is it sounds like McCall is gonna stick this guy right in,in place of Hutchinson and I feel that is very wrong and will harm the development of our own guys.

I know if I was Hutch and was knocking my pan in week in week out,got in the team and looked the part,got unlucky wi injuries but knocked my pan in to work my way back into the team,got my break again and took it with both hands then I get punted back out the team for some nobody just cause he`s with a premiership team Id tell McCall to get fucked and demand a transfer as Its obvious Id never gonna get anywhere at MFC