We Were Spoiled Last Year

Welldaft Mk1

With a newsworthy story almost each and every day over the summer.

It is a wee bit quiet at the moment. Not panicking just yet, but IMHO we have only replaced Ruddy and Randy will need to be damn fine goalie to achieve that. Very little else happening at the moment. I was hoping we would get in another player or two ahead of the Friday Europa deadline. This may well happen but we are missing a replacement for Coke, Lukas and our most creative player of last season O'Brien.

I will be pleasantly surprised if we skoosh past Briedablik. I suspect and expect a tough couple of legs. I would have been a lot more comfortable with our 1st 11 from last season.

Other key issues are the lack of sponsor and lack of communication surrounding the sale of new Puma merchandise and the new strips when we are only a little over one week away from a Euro game. Hope for the shops sake they get some gear or it will be a hell of a lot quieter than it should be for the 1st competitive home match.

I am a glass half full kinda guy - honestly. Just want to stimulate discussion as this board is awfy quiet.............

With a newsworthy story almost each and every day over the summer.

It is a wee bit quiet at the moment. Not panicking just yet, but IMHO we have only replaced Ruddy and Randy will need to be damn fine goalie to achieve that. Very little else happening at the moment. I was hoping we would get in another player or two ahead of the Friday Europa deadline. This may well happen but we are missing a replacement for Coke, Lukas and our most creative player of last season O'Brien.

I will be pleasantly surprised if we skoosh past Briedablik. I suspect and expect a tough couple of legs. I would have been a lot more comfortable with our 1st 11 from last season.

Other key issues are the lack of sponsor and lack of communication surrounding the sale of new Puma merchandise and the new strips when we are only a little over one week away from a Euro game. Hope for the shops sake they get some gear or it will be a hell of a lot quieter than it should be for the 1st competitive home match.

I am a glass half full kinda guy - honestly. Just want to stimulate discussion as this board is awfy quiet.............

Aye we're in pretty much exactly the same position we were in last year in terms of the strength of squad but for some reason everyone seems to be much more optimistic about the coming season. Even though Brown isn't half the talent scout Gannon was and we're in a worse financial position due to the sponsor thing, having to unexpectedly relay the pitch again and missing out on a fourth home scum game.

Hopefully the optimism isn't complacency. It isn't just us though. You read Pie and Bovril and the other teams in the same sort of position as us aren't really worried, everyone just thinks Kilmarnock will be their safety net. Think of the collective poo we'll all do if Killie win their first game comfortably though. :lol:

Aye we're in pretty much exactly the same position we were in last year in terms of the strength of squad

I'd argue we're a bit stronger as a unit. At this time last year, we didn't have Randolph, Humphrey, Hateley or Jennings. Who have we lost that we had in the squad for that first Llanelli game? Jim O'Brien, Michael Fraser and Paul Slane? You could argue that you could add Reynolds to that list as it seems we're doing our best to sell him (rightly in my view).

However you could argue that Hutchison, Saunders, Murphy, Forbes and Saunders should all be better players than they were last season purely by virtue of having played competitive SPL football.

There is also the fact that this close season we don't have a new manager coming in trying to put across a new philosophy and new ideas to a group of players that he doesn't know. There is a degree of continuity in terms of coaching staff this season that we didn't have last year. The players will have a fair idea of what Brown and Knox will ask of them and how they will want them to play. This may count against us when the SPL season starts as other teams will also be pretty aware of how we will set our stall out. But the same is true of most SPL teams. St Mirren are the only team with a manager who hasn't managed in the SPL before and therefore who will be harder to read.

We're not in bad shape at all. Would I like another striker and winger on board? Absolutely. Am I losing sleep over it? Not really. Who is to say that the likes of Gary Smith or Jamie Pollock won't make the kind of impact that the likes of Hutchison and Forbes did at the start of last season...?

Chin up, people...

This time last year we had very limited knowledge of Forbes, Hutchison, Saunders & Slane. I'm excited by the prospect of just 1 or 2 more talents emerging in the next few weeks.

Remember last year we were also able to sign players due to early summer sale of Quinn & Clarkson. No such money floating about this summer.

I'm worried, but not panicing...yet! Every summer there is always something different to worry about and when you think about all the great players that we have lost in recent years you always worry how they will be replaced, but we somehow muddle through. We worried when McFadden, Pearson, McDonald, Porter, McCormack, Paterson, Lappin, Clarkson, Quinn etc all left. Ruddy, O'Brien and Jutkiewicz can now be added to that list. Next season it will be another set and so on.

We still might be able to flog Reynolds to get us 3 players for the start of the season....Here's hoping... :D

3? How that? In selling Reynolds, the club may only have what he earns in wages to offer to someone else... Doubtful any transfer fee is automatically added to the playing budget, I'd wager any monies recieved will service existing outgoings against borrowings in the last year...

Realism they call it.

Shit is what I call it

A shit by any other name is still a shit, no?

Simple economics in todays financial climate. I'd love to see the club purchase with funds received, it doesn't happen, any investment is made in what's already there. Something the board of directors and management should be commended for.

I understand but we have been europe for 3 consecitive years and some of the games have been on TV so we must have go money from TV,UEFA,gates,etc.Thats just europe.

I know we get buttons for TV nowadays but we still get a few quid.We get gate money[which is not alot but the same as the TV revenue we do get a few quid].

We get other money from local football coures which aren't cheap and are always busy so we must get a few quid for that.

We must get a good few quid from the club shop aswell as the prices aren't exactly low and the shop is rarley empty.

We get money from the food stalls on matchdays.

We get money from the 50/50 draws on matchdays

We get money from matchday programmes which are £2.50 each and we must sell a good few of them every home game.

We have recieved money from transfers over the past few years aswell including around £400,000 for Porter,around £800,000 for Clarky and around £300,000 for Quinn,

I realise that we have to pay playing and non playing staff's wages and pay debts but we must make some profit which we can buy players with.

I understand but we have been europe for 3 consecitive years and some of the games have been on TV so we must have go money from TV,UEFA,gates,etc.Thats just europe.

I know we get buttons for TV nowadays but we still get a few quid.We get gate money[which is not alot but the same as the TV revenue we do get a few quid].

We get other money from local football coures which aren't cheap and are always busy so we must get a few quid for that.

We must get a good few quid from the club shop aswell as the prices aren't exactly low and the shop is rarley empty.

We get money from the food stalls on matchdays.

We get money from the 50/50 draws on matchdays

We get money from matchday programmes which are £2.50 each and we must sell a good few of them every home game.

We have recieved money from transfers over the past few years aswell including around £400,000 for Porter,around £800,000 for Clarky and around £300,000 for Quinn,

I realise that we have to pay playing and non playing staff's wages and pay debts but we must make some profit which we can buy players with.

The extremely poor level of understanding on here about our finances is incredible at times.

Most of all that you list collected together, multiplied by 1000, put in a high interest account for 10 years would still be a midges didgey compared to what we need to lay out to survive.

All the transfer money from the past has come and gone and then some in the particular year it was raise. Hence the reason we're hawking Reynolds around anybody that will have him.

We need significant ammounts of money to continue existing as a club year on year. Money from programmes and pies ???????? For fuck sake!