Chris Shuker

tranmerekev

Hi guys. Tranmere fan here...again. I came in peace last year talking about Steve Jennings.

I see you have Chris Shuker on trial this week. Not really sure what to make of it to be honest.

When we first signed him he was excellent. He could turn a game.

He used to run at full backs, take them on and whip in some decent crosses. He would also bag a few goals.

He then suffered a bad injury, and like many wingers I think it affected his mind as much as it did his body.

He wasn't really in our manager's plans last season. Firstly we didn't really have a manager, he was our physio, and he set out a system/formation that was based more on workrate rather than flair, something Shukes has shown in his Rovers career.

I think everyone knew his days was numbered. He signed his last contract when we paid better wages, so as one of the higher earners, and with his injury problems he was always going to be first out of the door when his contract expired.

The problem is, as you're all no doubt aware, is wide men often blow hot and cold, so don't expect miracles, but if he can have more good games than bad he'll be a decent signing.

One thing worth noting is he had a short spell playing just behind our strikers last year, and in my opinion he looked at home in that position.

He had a free role where he could drift all over the final third of the pitch rather than be stuck up against a big ugly fullback, and pace (which has probably lost since his injury) wasn't as neccessary as it would be as a winger.

I suggested 12 month's ago that you had a diamond in Jenno, and reading snippets on here throughout last season it looked like he won the fans over.

Not sure I can say the same about Shukes, but the change might just be the thing needed to restart his career.

Good luck to the lad I say, and he has a very tidy missus. ^_^

Jenno started off quite slow - literally as he seemed fairly unfit and I think he picked up an injury early on. But there is no doubt as the season wore on and he got fitter he was and would be the fans first pick in midfield. He has a fair dig and no little skill. We are delighted he signed another contract - just a shame it is only for a year, but probably the best we could expect.

As for Shukes - time will tell if he signs on and if he does, he may just get a new lease of life. By the souns of things he may be lined up as a replacement for Jim O'Brien who has just gone to Barnsley. He was our most creative midfielder and although opinio was sometimes split - he will be missed big time this coming season.

Thanks 4 the summary all the same ^_^

On what I've seen of Shukes in the two friendlies so far, he'd be worth a contract. A diminutive midfield schemer who runs at defenders, but can also get stuck in. Plays out wide and also in an advanced midfield role.

Took his goal well and prompted well, the question is do we have the money to sign him?

Football is littered with players who promised much, won a move and then didn't ever deliver (Van Vossen, Flo, Rosenthal).

Equally there have been many players who a lot of people thought were beyond their best (Cantona, Moravcik, etc.) and subsequently turned out to be a revelation.

Sometimes its basic stuff like a personality clash that disrupts a player (Gannon/Craggs), if the fans get behind them or determined there is no future (Fraser), the idea of a fresh start without baggage and no crap happening at home could be the catalyst.

Shuker is a bit of a luxury, for me O'Brien really contributed and changed the outcome of about 1 game in 3 so as Kev points out. However if he can come onto a game a influence one in 2 (like Merson) or every game (like Laudrup) then he's worth a punt.

Football is littered with players who promised much, won a move and then didn't ever deliver (Van Vossen, Flo, Rosenthal).

Equally there have been many players who a lot of people thought were beyond their best (Cantona, Moravcik, etc.) and subsequently turned out to be a revelation.

Sometimes its basic stuff like a personality clash that disrupts a player (Gannon/Craggs), if the fans get behind them or determined there is no future (Fraser), the idea of a fresh start without baggage and no crap happening at home could be the catalyst.

Shuker is a bit of a luxury, for me O'Brien really contributed and changed the outcome of about 1 game in 3 so as Kev points out. However if he can come onto a game a influence one in 2 (like Merson) or every game (like Laudrup) then he's worth a punt.

i think we should look for some more along the lines of michel plaitini or johann cruyff. perhaps even maradonna or pele.

Is changing the outcome of 1 in 3 games not worth a punt?

Is changing the outcome of 1 in 3 games not worth a punt?
Sounds good to me. If he plays 39 games in a season (to keep the maths simple) that means he changes the outcome of 13 games. If even 6 of those are changing draws to wins and the other 7 are losses to draws, that is a gain of 19 points. Even using those conservative figures, a player that can contribute an extra 19 points seems like worth a punt.

Sorry, should have clarified, 1 in 3 referred to that in the other two games I felt he was anonymous apart from his petulance and getting cards. The 1 in 3 where he changed the outcome wasn't always positively (Rangers penalty miss).

As far as points in a season its not always 3 for a win, sometimes you can be 1-0 down and get a point.

I reckon Ruddy certainly got us more last season than O'Brien.

As far as points in a season its not always 3 for a win, sometimes you can be 1-0 down and get a point.

Err, aye - that's why I came up with 19 points in 13 games in my calculation and not 39 points. I even showed my working.

Err, aye - that's why I came up with 19 points in 13 games in my calculation and not 39 points. I even showed my working.

And to be fair I would suggest that a player would be worth signing if they change a game three or four times a season let alone 19 points worth. So yea, Shukes should be offered a 2 year contract imo- Looks very handy on the ball, knows what to do around certain areas of the park, is very keen and will offer us a wee edge to our team.

He'll do for me!!

Anybody know why he got hooked at halftime? Either Broon likes him and wants to keep him fresh for Saturday (maybe even Thursday) or he picked up a knock.

Apparently he got a slight knock just before half time and was subsequently subsituted.

• 2 weeks later...