Motherwell V Aberdeen

siebsbarmyarmy

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Defences well on top today. Aberdeen came for a point and got it, playing 9 men behind the ball most of the time. Can't remember either goalkeeper having a serious save to make and we just couldn't create chances despite having most of the possession. Final ball and crossing was poor and I felt a few players were played out of position (Murphy, Sutton) and had little impact.

Didn't get a good view of the Aberdeen goal so I can't comment much on that.

Randolph (6) Virtually nothing to do except pick the ball out of the net.

Saunders (6) Decent display at right back

Craigan (7) No problems during open play, didn't see the Aberdeen goal though.

Reynolds (7) Comfortable afternoon, brought ball forward on a number of occassions.

Hateley (7) Return to a bit of form for Hateley....at full back.

Humphrey (5) Kids, once there was a Motherwell player called Andy Roddie....

Jennings (6) Looked a bit sluggish today.

Sutton (5) Not convinced by Sutton playing in midfield

Lasley (7) Poor final ball but looked like one of the few players today that had some fire in his belly

Murphy (5) Got the goal but his worst display for a while, should be played down the middle.

Blackman (5) Faded out of the game with very little supply.

Gow (2) Not much time

McHugh (2) As above

Forbes (2) As above

Just in from the game, frustrating seems to be the word best describing this game and this season.

Most of possession throughout the match, however never really looked like doing anything with it. Our midfield yet again showed it has little to no imagination, and constantly requires one of the strikers to drop deep in order to create a bit of movement. It's frustrating because when we're good, we're really good. Lasley showed a couple of brief glimpses where he was available for a quick 1-2, but apart from that little to show from a game that we really should have won.

The team reminded of the first season under McGhee, where our players look terrified to hit a shot from outside the box (apart from Saunders' wild effort towards the end of the match). Chris Humphrey needs to learn to cross a ball - quickly. What do we do with him in training all week?

Aberdeen, well they are no great shakes, and I'm sure Mark McGhee knows that. They have little going forward and without Hartley's drive they are pretty awful. He may be a greasy bastard, but he is good at what he does and seems to get away with murder.

As for the ref, the least said about this trumpet the better. Same goes for the East Stand linesman.

Still undefeated against Mark McGhee, which is never a bad thing.

Onwards and upwards.

I have no idea why Sutton stayed on the park as long as he did today, was a passenger the whole game, he didn't look himself, rarely won a header and on the deck was pretty much useless, humph, well was like playing with a humph, crossing is terrible. I think 2 points dropped easily, Aberdeen are not a good side, Hartley drives them on without much else there for them. As for the referree, what a total joke, he let go many a yellow card today then books Jennings for fuck all in added time says it all about that performance.

We should have taken all three points today, comfortably.

However, it needs to be said - the bulk of our league fitba this season has been pretty dire and sore on the eyes. I know there are a few who will disagree - but the long ball pish will be our downfall more often than we gain anything positive from it.

We need to change the record. I don't think we're attacking enough at home and I struggle at times under Brown to figure out who's been sent out to 'lead the line' so to speak.

For me a couple of alarm bells starting to ring with what the players are being asked to do.

We have players capable of playing the game on the deck and they're being asked to play something different.

It's not the end of the world and I'm no' slating anybody.

Bottom line of the post is that we are capable of winning games like that and playing more entertaining football in the process.

I have no idea why Sutton stayed on the park as long as he did today, was a passenger the whole game, he didn't look himself, rarely won a header and on the deck was pretty much useless, humph, well was like playing with a humph, crossing is terrible. I think 2 points dropped easily, Aberdeen are not a good side, Hartley drives them on without much else there for them. As for the referree, what a total joke, he let go many a yellow card today then books Jennings for fuck all in added time says it all about that performance.

We should have taken all three points today, comfortably.

However, it needs to be said - the bulk of our league fitba this season has been pretty dire and sore on the eyes. I know there are a few who will disagree - but the long ball pish will be our downfall more often than we gain anything positive from it.

We need to change the record. I don't think we're attacking enough at home and I struggle at times under Brown to figure out who's been sent out to 'lead the line' so to speak.

For me a couple of alarm bells starting to ring with what the players are being asked to do.

We have players capable of playing the game on the deck and they're being asked to play something different.

It's not the end of the world and I'm no' slating anybody.

Bottom line of the post is that we are capable of winning games like that and playing more entertaining football in the process.

Bits in bold = couldn't agree more.

Fancied a draw today so not too disappointed....although we did create enough chances to win. Aberdeen have Rangers next so could be four SPL games in a row for McGhee without a win. More importantly though a hard game for us next week in Edinburgh. Again wouldn't be too worried if we pick up a point next weekend.

A point is better than none, but that was dire, DIRE stuff today, for 80 odd minutes out of the 90 we'd have been as well watching the two kids games at half time for the entertainment factor, the Ref spoiled it with constant stop start, stupid fouls, non existant fouls and constant pedantry over where kicks were taken. Thought, bar the odd player, we were very poor, Hateley standing out as the pick of the bunch for playing poorly, granted he's not a left back, but he should still be able to hit a ball 2 yards and not lose the ball.

Yes, we shoulda got the winner in 2nd half.

Yes, the referee was pretty shit

And yes, this long ball thing we try is dire.

But, Aberdeen playing 5 at the back, in a SPL match, against a non OF team, thats pish.

If this is gona be a new trend teams do away from home, attendances are just gona get even worse.

Going to watch teams that don`t want to win is not good in any way, but paying £20 to watch teams that don`t want to win is fuckin awful, and daylight robbery!!

Just wish Murph or Jenno had got that 2nd late on, n sent they fuckers away up the road with what they deserved!!

On a positive note, it is still a point, Hibs n Utd both dropped pts, and we are still just a point off 3rd, going in 2 what should b a crackn game at Tynecastle next week! Same result and performance from last time would be perfect :notworthy: (Brechin 1st, of course!)

`Mon the`Well!

A draw was the right result today and both sides should be kicking themselves for not being more ambitious in a game that either side was capable of winning.

Aberdeen set out their stall early on with 5 central defenders on the pitch and 11 men behind the ball at times? Why? They could easily have won this game had they been more ambitious. Pretty much throughout they were solid and reliable. That said they were away from home.

As for us, as Steve suggests, we lacked ambition and were scared to push men forward. It was our home game after all. Again too many men out of position and a weak and unbalanced midfield. The fact of the matter is that our defence will concede at least a goal a week and there was little doubt in my mind today that Aberdeen would score. I still don't understand why John Sutton is played in midfield. Surprised too that Tom Hately was preferred to Jon Page at left back.

On this showing, and its only one game admittedly, the Dons will finish above us in the league this year.

I always say an away draw is a good result in the SPL but rarely do you see a team playing for one. Though I think the coverage that they got has been a bit unfair as to me their tactic was to soak up the pressure and hit on the break and certainly not to dig in all the time.

However I just listened to Brown's interview and he is spot on. Reason we didn't win was our decision making was poor. Odd flashes of quality but overall disappointing. Gow's cross at the end was delightful by the way.

Thought we missed Hammy big time today, exposed at the back for the goal, and a lack of an out ball on many occasions.

When we took Hump off we just played everything down the one side and resorted to route 1 football.

When Forbes came on I thought for sure Murphy would move inside and play through the middle but he was left wide where he just wants to come inside.

We need to be doing something different as the same team playing the same way isn't working at present, perhaps Sutton should be benched for the Hearts game and start Gow see what he can do with a bit longer in a match, would try him up front with Blackman and have Murphy playing just in behind them in a kind of 4- 3- 1- 2

And don't even get me started on those trupmpets masquerading as match officials, we must be due a decision or two soon.

Lets calm down, we got a point, poor performance but lets get off there backs... long season ahead.

Overall with Aberdeen having the whole team behind the ball, it was always going to be tough.

We struggle anyway with a killer ball playing against a free flowing team, but against an extra defender it was clear we dont have the quality to make that telling ball to unlock the defence.

Each player has there strengths and weaknesses and today we never used anyones strengths.

When Lasley is being touted as man of the match it normally means the team were poor overall.

Cant be to hard on the guys, just stick with them, Aberdeen done a job on us today, and because of the lack of space in the final third we resulted in the punt up the pitch which might work on a Sunday league forum but it just dosent cut it at this level. We have pace and a good in the box finnisher, we used neither of those avenues today hence only one point instead of three. Good luck Tues guys.

I cannot imagine that half time team talk would be along the lines of - "well we are comfortable in the game and 1\2\3*-0 up, so what I would like you to do is sit back enjoy the sunshine and see what the opposition can do"

So my question is why does it happen all the time. Not just this season but last season also. Today was a classic case where we did very little until the inevitable happened and Aberdeen scored their goal. Why the f#ck are we not coming out and taking the impetus and imposing our gameplan on the opposition. Aberdeen were by any recent standards poor, but we let them play from the opening minute of the second half till they scored. Does my nut in :rolleyes:

Make no mistake that was 2 points dropped and unless we buck up our ideas the top 6 will be a distant dream.

*delete as appropriate.

Poor game today. really lacked invention, and can i say a Jim O'Brien character. We have no one that can carry the ball, Murphy try's but is easy to read always cuts inside. (needs to be played up front or just behind a front 2)

We have pace but the struggle to break quickly.

Why when we get in good positions don't we shoot

Too many players out of position.

Agree with the other posts Sutton was a passenger what was he suppost to be doing today answers to Mr Brown on a postcard.

Looked better when Gow and Forbes came on, why did we wait so long before the subs

Everythings probably been covered but why the fuck was Hateley at left back? Just seemed mental to me when we had players out there who could easily have been arranged into some form of proper back 4. Why not move Reynolds out left, Saunders into the centre and put Hateley at RB? At least then they would all be on their right side :rolleyes: Only saying as I thought Hateley was clearly the weak link today in that position and I'm surprised Aberdeen didnt put more pressure on him.