Announcement Within The Next 48 Hours...

Onthefringes

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FROM GOOGLE, DEREK Weir, Royal Bank of Scotland's most senior corporate banker in Scotland, has resigned amid speculation that he will join rival Barclays in the new year.Weir's departure is seen by banking insiders as a blow for RBS, where he has run the successful corporate banking arm in Scotland for five years.

The Scot was named young business leader of the year at the Insider Elite awards in October, and is credited with having lifted RBS's share of its home market to over 40% from 33% when he took over.

Banking sources say he plans to join Barclays, which has a low profile in Scotland but is keen to grow. Recruiting the well-connected Weir would give it an instant advantage on its rivals.

Born and Bred in Motherwell (manse road),high flying career in corporate banking UK and the States,and really is a motherwell fan so fingers crossed that we could be looking good when a lot of scottish football clubs are really struggling

Putting my neck on the line here but....

I've heard from someone who works in the college that Boyle was offered to combine the sale of Fir Park with the sale of the old college site 5-6 years ago, before the credit crunch, when the money on offer for a joint sale was considerable. The buyers of the old college supposedly wanted to build a much larger housing estate which would've encompassed where Fir Park currently sits. Apparently he turned it down thinking that we wouldn't need to move as we don't have a fan base big enough to warrant a move and the money wouldn't have given us profit after the new stadium was built.

The other allegation is that all non-domestic sites at the 'craig are taken, so there may be nowhere for us to buy. The industrial sites earmarked are being delayed due to the world's financial climate and business's current reluctance to spend.

As I say, this is just gossip, but from a source who should know what he's on about. But hopefully it is just speculation and our dreams of a new Scandanavian style ground and a new financial direction are realised :whistling:

I've prepared for a flaming if, in two days time, its proved to be a load of shite :lol:

Club Statement | Print | E-mail Monday, 04 October 2010

Motherwell Football Club announce new appointment

Motherwell Football Club are today (Monday) pleased to announce the appointment of Derek Weir as Vice Chairman with direct responsibility for finance.

In addition, Chairman John Boyle has sold a block of shares to Derek, although Mr Boyle continues to hold a controlling interest in the club.

Commenting, Chairman John Boyle said: “Derek joined the Board two years ago and his increased involvement will greatly assist the club in these challenging times for Scottish football clubs. He is a lifelong Motherwell supporter and bought his first season ticket 35 years ago.

“In his commercial life he has held many senior finance roles, in the UK and overseas, latterly as Head of Barclays Corporate in Scotland and Ireland. He now holds a number of non-executive roles which will allow him to devote some time to his new role at Motherwell, in particular the ongoing requirement to secure additional sources of finance for the club.”

Derek will work closely with Leeann Dempster, who was appointed to the role of Chief Executive last year. Her appointment has been an outstanding success and the club is now extremely well served with a combination of existing and new directors overseeing segments of the club’s activities such as communications, finance, safety & stadium and supporter relations.

The club will shortly announce a profit for last year and, although modest, will be the sixth profit in the last seven years.

As a club, Motherwell have punched significantly above their weight having had three consecutive years in Europe. However the Board recognises that we operate in a difficult environment and is very focused on the need to balance the books whilst remaining competitive on the park.

Derek Weir added: “As a fan, I regard the opportunity to work with the club as a privilege. As Directors we are only ever part of a longer story. Motherwell has played a very positive role in the history of the game and it is our role to ensure that continues.

“It is not always obvious to the fans but John Boyle has personally supported the club to a massive extent and continues to do so. That cannot continue forever, nor should it. Our income must exceed our costs if we are to secure the club for the future.

“Our collective focus will be on ensuring fans come first in all that we do at the club. We have a superb core base of support and we are focused on increasing that by positioning the club as a true family club at the heart of the community. We have high hopes that the business side of the club can match the success being achieved by Craig, his management team and the players on the field.

“I look forward to working alongside John, my fellow Directors and everyone involved with the club and I urge every Motherwell fan to play what part they feel they can. It’s a good time to be at Motherwell and I’m excited about the future.”

sounds positive enough to me, il echo what everyone else says, it will be soul destroying having a barr construction, flat pack number as a stadium, lets show a wee bit of though going into it compared to recent new grounds, something like an updated almondvale would be alrite.

Haha, funny how the thread is becoming a 'new ground' thread. On the topic actually in question, sounds good. On the topic of a new ground, surely effectively moving out of town would only damage the fanbase? I know FP's maintenance n all that are high, but really is it worth running the high risk of shrinking our attendances even further, and getting a shitty flatpacked stadium (which I think is more thn likely), just to keep down the maintenance costs ?

To be honest all thats happened is the board have appointed a new Vice chairman and everybody seems to be jumping onto the fact we will be moving to Ravenscraig.

It doesn't say that anywhere that I can see.

Everybody seems to think we will be stuck with " A BARR Flatpack stadium" and are saying that they want a nice wee oval stadium with no empty spaces in the corners etc.

When and if we move to the Craig site I think it will be in a joint venture with North Lanarkshire and we will have some sort of 100 year lease on the stadium or some such idea.

Onwards and upwards

Mon the Dossers

To be honest all thats happened is the board have appointed a new Vice chairman and everybody seems to be jumping onto the fact we will be moving to Ravenscraig.

It doesn't say that anywhere that I can see.

You're right, there's nothing in the statement about a change of stadium. Most of the chat regarding a new stadium was posted before the official statement was released and was based on Andy Devlin saying "Future plans could include a move away from the club's Fir Park home to the new Ravenscraig site".

Granted he's a journo and may well be full of shite, but its the interweb and we like to dream!

Derek will work closely with Leeann Dempster, who was appointed to the role of Chief Executive last year. Her appointment has been an outstanding success and the club is now extremely well served with a combination of existing and new directors overseeing segments of the club’s activities such as communications, finance, safety & stadium and supporter relations.

:whistling::lol::lol:

Wonderful, who writes this stuff, I can get them a booking at the Fringe next August.

:lol::lol::lol:

:whistling: I didn't find it quite as funny Lip but it did make me smirk that we are extremely well served in those areas yet not many fans could even associate a name with many of those business functions

however seems to be a good move , and he gets the saem support to deliver all positive aims as all the others

Any time I have e mailed Leanne always had a reply, never before did we have fan communications like that, I am happy things are moving along quite merrily before John Boyle steps aside or a non executive role, no matter what anyone thinks about him he will leave/ move aside from power when he is sure we are in good hands and fair play to him for that.

Putting my neck on the line here but....

I've heard from someone who works in the college that Boyle was offered to combine the sale of Fir Park with the sale of the old college site 5-6 years ago, before the credit crunch, when the money on offer for a joint sale was considerable. The buyers of the old college supposedly wanted to build a much larger housing estate which would've encompassed where Fir Park currently sits. Apparently he turned it down thinking that we wouldn't need to move as we don't have a fan base big enough to warrant a move and the money wouldn't have given us profit after the new stadium was built.

The other allegation is that all non-domestic sites at the 'craig are taken, so there may be nowhere for us to buy. The industrial sites earmarked are being delayed due to the world's financial climate and business's current reluctance to spend.

As I say, this is just gossip, but from a source who should know what he's on about. But hopefully it is just speculation and our dreams of a new Scandanavian style ground and a new financial direction are realised :lol:

I've prepared for a flaming if, in two days time, its proved to be a load of shite :(

Think you're source has been winding you up! If the money was on the table, Boyle would have bit their hand off! A few years back before the credit crunch, the land Fir Park was on was easily worth £12m +. A new stadium would cost half that! That was the thing that put a spanner in the works of the Coaxley proposed buyout, as Boyle wanted to keep ownership of Fir Park as he knows its potential worth. But like I said, credit crunch halted that idea for now.

As for the new stadium, it has always been on the cards with Boyle. Only thing that has changed is the scale of the stadium and who will be playing at it (mind his big plans for a Lanarkshire United!)

From what I've been led to believ that their are plans afoot for a move to Ravenscraig, including initial stadium designs, etc and its just a matter of when now.

What's the current rules for seatered stadia in the SPL,is it still 10'000 seats or is it down the 6'000?

Just wondering because if Motherwell do move to a new stadium would it not be better to build a smaller stadium rather than the many thousand seaters that people have mentioned here? Unless of course it is for use in another field but i don't really see who else could possibly need to use it at this time.

We'd achieve a crowd larger than 6,000 at least 6-10 (OF x4, Euro x2, Hibs/Hearts x2, Scottish Cup x1, End of season nail-biter x1) games a season, based on that and an average of say of 2,000 fans above the 6,000 for 10 games at £20 a head then you are looking at £200,000 a year in revenue which should pay for the extra seats over time.

If we are concerned about atmosphere, why not close sections off and only open them partially when you need overspill, that way the crowd is contained and close together, always makes for a better atmosphere than having loads of seats free.

£12m for Fir Park even at the height of the good times would have been very ambitious, the site isn't that big and can't accommodate that many extra homes to justify that crazy land value.