Well V Ddee Utd (x2)

Welldaft Mk1

Ha ha, that brings back the memories. Freddie's nightmares. That was our first victory at Tannadice in almost 20 years, and we were back a week later for the late, late mad mental celebrations of Softie's equaliser. They had one shot on target today and that was the penalty, thoroughly deserved win.

What about Daly's scissor kick in the first half?

We were excellent in the 1st 20mins but we let them back into it once Lasley went off. Poor penalty to give away. Gow took some awful stick from the East Stand (reckon he must have rattled this one guys missus!).

Good 3 points but spells almost certain defeat on Tuesday evening!

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gow took some awful stick from the East Stand (reckon he must have rattled this one guys missus!).

Good 3 points but spells almost certain defeat on Tuesday evening!

Though the stick Gow was getting was a lot of nonsense. Give the guy a break, it was his first home start and he was no better or worse than Murphy or Blackman.

As for the second point, that's exactly what I thought when the full time whistle went - "OK, that's us out the cup!".

Really happy with the victory today. Very well deserved and only one team that looked liked playing football.

Without Swanson and Conway Utd are half the side of last year and I am the opposite as I think that we will beat them confortably on Tuesday night 2-0.

Well done lads.

P.s. I agree about the ref, what an absolute clown. Very inconsistent in his decision making and easily bullied by Utd players. Another in the conveyor belt of useless inept Scottish refs.

good three points and at the same time we can wave goodbye to the cup for another season as we all know its a guarintee that we get pumped during the week now. as a side not, i dont blame humphry one bit for getting book as i had the exact same reaction, i was sitting 20 yards away and could quite clearly see it was a corner, yet the linesman was less than 2 yards away and gave a goal kick, you have to wonder what they see. and also i know as motherwell fans its generaly a mistake for us to listen to the radio, but i sat 40 mins before the game in the car listening to clyde, not one word was uttered about any of the games being played today, it was all about the old firm game tomorrow and the celtic penalty bla bla, and again in the car after the game, the only talk of todays football was the reading out of the scores. its disgusting and im sick to the back teeth of it, its time the media in scotland realise there are more than 2 teams in the country.

P.s. I agree about the ref, what an absolute clown. Very inconsistent in his decision making and easily bullied by Utd players. Another in the conveyor belt of useless inept Scottish refs.

To be fair he was influenced by the home support a couple of times as well.

As for the game from when Lasley went off until they scored we were poor but before and after that we did very well. They were poor throughout. I've not seen Goodwillie so quiet in a game for a long time. However as the game stretched Craigan and Reynolds looked more and more likely to make a schoolboy error that would let them in. But had we not won that it was an absolute travesty as we were miles better. Also the 2nd own goal may have been an own goal in name but came from a wonderful passage in play and all that is good about Motherwell. As for the penalty what a fucking muppet bet he was as relieved as anyone when we scored.

Cracking start to the game going one up early on but yet again we failed to capitalise on a good early start. United were murder in the first 15-20 minutes and were there to be beaten by 3 or 4 goals if we showed a bit more ambition going forward in the first half.

Soft and needless penalty to give away that let them back in to a game that they never really were in. after that goal that's when we started to play our best stuff and more than deserved to take the 3 points in the end. Humphrey has shown a massive improvement in the last month and was an excellent delivery to set up the winner.

Referee was a picky bastard and the East Stand side linesman was a useless c**t in general, taking forever to put his flag up for offside decisions and not giving a corner/free kick to Humphrey at 1-1.

Good result and we should beat them again in the cup. Mon the Well!

Anyone else hear the East Stand side linesman complain to a steward about the "inappropriate" level of abuse he was receiving in the 2nd half???

Was that because he didn't know the difference between a bye kick and a corner? What a diddy.

Made it hard for ourselves today when we could have easily been 2 or 3 up in the first 5 minutes but got the result in the end and that's the main thing. United looked absolutely woeful and I'm totally perplexed as to how that donkey Kenneth got anywhere near the Scotland squad. The only thing he's any good at is hitting things with his head.

On a positive note, I thought Hateley played better today than I've seen him for a while. When we were pushing for a winner in the second half he was always looking for an angle on goal and was instrumental in setting up our second goal.

dominated till laslay went off injured but were still well worth the 3 points. would have prefered if we had kept hatley right back (his best position and better than saunders at rb imo) and put fitz or forbes centre mid.

bring on the cup. Really up for it this year (even went to brechin game)

2nd game I've taken my 11 yr old boy to and the second win with a first minute opener for us.

He thinks supporting 'Well now involves a quick opener and a win every week :notworthy:

Thought we were similar to the St Midden game. Great opening 20 mins (Lasley going off hurt us) and then heavy weather of what should have been a straightforward win.

On the plus side, we turn attack into defence quickly and have a decent team there. Gow looks like he's got the football but needs to do more in the effort dept and will maybe improve when a bit fitter.

Onwards and upwards. Comfortable win on Tuesday :thumbup::lol::lol:

We seem to love making it tricky for ourselves don't we! Great result though, and good to see we're still in third with accies at home next week. Thought Gow's abuse was undeserved he had some great tocuhes but was just a bit rusty- thats only gonna improve with match practice. He did Sutton's job today and better I reckon and I'm a fan of Sutton.

Am I the only one that thinks it looks like we could have a real player on our hands in Alan Gow? His first touch is excellent, he held the ball up well and some of his passes were excellent that would have on other days could turn out to be game winning, add that to his shot in the first half where the technique was excellent and i'd be offering him an extended contract tomorrow before someone with more resources takes him off our hands. He was slightly rusty today admittedly but once he gets a few games behind him he will without doubt be the creative spark that we'v been missing.

I think the thing with Gow was that there were long spells of the game he wasn't seen. When he was involved he was excellent. He has been here for six weeks now? He still looks far from match sharpness. Think Gow is a bit lazy and as such will never realise his potential but his ability to turn and ball control are good for this level. A bit more application and yes we have a player.

Would agree with the previous posts on Gow, think he's got infinitely more skill and touches to offer than Sutton, who is more of a blunt instrument, albeit one who gives 100%. Once Gow gets a few more games, he'll be a massive asset, you could see what his brain was trying to achive but he was just a bit rusty. Today, for the first time since the McGhee 4-3-3 with Porter, Rossco and Clarky, I thought we showed glimpses of a great attacking side, Blackman, Murphy, Gow plus the Hump oot wide looked pure class at times. Marry that to a solid back 4, and a good centre mid combo in Jenno and Keef, if we don't suffer an injury crisis, it could be a helluva ride this season...

That's a big gigantic 3 points for us. I'm kinda waiting for the wheels to fall off and thought today would be the day but delighted to be proved wrong.

Slightly dissapointed to hear Gow was getting pelters. I was working but listened to the game on the radio, every time his name was mentioned he was doing something fantastic. Certainly didn't sound like a poor performance.