Saturday Is Service Day

Taff

Totally passed me by, the whole casual thing. I started going to 'Well games aged 14 in 1988, so I could have quite easily fell into the whole scene. I just don't get it though. Why go to a game thinking (hoping?) you're gonna get a punch in the face at some point in the afternoon. I thought it was all bollocks back in the day and I still think its all bollocks now. And I certainly don't need to be reading some half-arsed, over-exaggerated and egotistical account about how 'we' done over some fucking firm or whatever back in the day. No offence, but I just think it's all bollocks.

Like it or not pal its all part of the game. I dont see why folk get so worked up about like minded lads kicking lumps out of each other. There's far bigger things to get worked up about. You should see some of the looks i get because i wear stone island, hugo boss,prada etc. Let them get on with it i say. booze, women,fashion,music,fighting and football, What a life, what a life. :notworthy:

Like it or not pal its all part of the game. I dont see why folk get so worked up about like minded lads kicking lumps out of each other. There's far bigger things to get worked up about.
It led to the clampdowns on standing at games, drinking at games, waving flags at games etc. There's no amount of Hugo Boss that will change that.

It led to the clampdowns on standing at games, drinking at games, waving flags at games etc. There's no amount of Hugo Boss that will change that.

Try telling Liverpool fans it was casuals that caused the clampdown on standing it was the Hillsbourgh disaster that led to the taylor report that led to all seater stadiums.as for the drinking at games it was the 1980 cup final with the bigot brothers having a rerun of the battle of the Boyne on the pitch at Hampden which brought that law in not casuals.

Totally passed me by, the whole casual thing. I started going to 'Well games aged 14 in 1988, so I could have quite easily fell into the whole scene. I just don't get it though. Why go to a game thinking (hoping?) you're gonna get a punch in the face at some point in the afternoon. I thought it was all bollocks back in the day and I still think its all bollocks now. And I certainly don't need to be reading some half-arsed, over-exaggerated and egotistical account about how 'we' done over some fucking firm or whatever back in the day. No offence, but I just think it's all bollocks.

So you've no' read it then? :wallbash:

Try telling Liverpool fans it was casuals that caused the clampdown on standing it was the Hillsbourgh disaster that led to the taylor report that led to all seater stadiums.as for the drinking at games it was the 1980 cup final with the bigot brothers having a rerun of the battle of the Boyne on the pitch at Hampden which brought that law in not casuals.

Ach don't let the facts get in the way now. :wank:

Politicians and theologists have pontificated about this subject for years ......... but in my opinion they all got it wrong. Unless you were there or involved it's impossible to define. I won't condone it, but this rites of passage was a very common and often unavoidable one for 1970's/80's football fans.

IMHO SiSD is a damn good read, and unlike most of the paperbacks of the same topic/era, is bluddy accurate. Well done Calum.

Moonstomp :wallbash:

Could'nt agree more the whole Casual thing was bullshit a load of guys using football as an excuse to fight and behave like a**e holes. Now we look back and it is viewed as some sort of "right of passage", for your average foottie fan. What it done in reality was that every ground or town you went to in those days you were herded about like cattle by the police. you could not get into any pubs etc. Does anybody really thing that that was a good thing?

Fair play to the Guy who wrote the book, but these kind of books are always based on the Authors and other contributors recollections of the time, and these are always exagerated and "sexed Up" to fit the story and should be viewed accordingly.

:ph34r: The whole casual thing passed you by, but, tapping into that unknown resource you think it's all bollocks. Deary me...

Correct me if I'm wrong, I was only a boy at the time, but was the Hillsbourgh disaster not basically a direct result of the fencing which was only put up in our grounds as a means to control the football hooliganism.

It was a direct result of their being far too many people crammed into the stadum that day, if the crowd had been controlled correctly the fences wouldnt have been an issue, regardless of why they were there.

Yeah, but if the fences weren't there the crowd would have just spilled out onto the pitch, regardless of how badly they were controlled.

Which is why the Taylor report banned the use of such fences, obviously in addition to everything else.

I was only pointing out that weeyin's comment wasn't totally wrong as was being said.

Correct me if I'm wrong, I was only a boy at the time, but was the Hillsbourgh disaster not basically a direct result of the fencing which was only put up in our grounds as a means to control the football hooliganism.

Now you have broadened things from casuals to football hooligans,i said casuals did not cause the clamp down on standing at games,casuals are only an element amongst football hooligans,not all football hooligans are casuals.Any every day fan given certain circumstances can be involved in behaviour that would be labelled as football hooliganism.The best example i can think of is v Hibs at Easter Road after the game heading back to the supporters buses over that narrow bridge with the Hibs fans at your back you had 2 choices defend yourself or take a lethering.Through no fault of your own you were involved in football hooliganism,I myself have never been a casual or gone looking for trouble but have on occasion had to defend myself,i am sure most fans have been involved in this sort of incident and therefore at some point been involved in behaviour which would be labelled as football hooliganism.

There were only too many people in that area of the stadium in the first place because of inept policing and stewarding.

Directly from the Taylor interim report:

It should have been clear in the control room where there was a view of the

pens and of the crowd at the turnstiles that the tunnel had to be closed. If orders had been given to that effect when gate C was opened, the fans could have been directed to the empty areas of the wings and this disaster could still have been avoided. Failure to give that order was a blunder of the first magnitude.