Harlaw Park

Special aka

I think you're developing a wee chip on your shoulder now, Andy. I don't think it's anything to do with it being an SPL team playing a HL league team- when we had pitch troubles last winter, our inspections when we were playing a team like Inverness were considerably earlier than when we were hosting another team from the central belt. That's just life. I'm sure if you were half way to Motherwell for a replayed midweek, possibly having taken a day off work, you'd be pissed off to find out you had wasted your time.

Frazzle

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think you're developing a wee chip on your shoulder now, Andy.

yeah, probably, but once again I see a pitch thats totally playable, for the second wednesday in a row. It's 6 degrees just now in Inverurie, got up to 4.5 yesterday after that vid was taken, and didnt go below freezing last night.

This game should be on.

Fact is though, taking all forecasts into consideration and the state of the pitch yesterday, an SFA official decided the pitch was unplayable and was unlikely to be playable therefore no point in risking a late call off and angering lots of fans who have taken time off/paid to travel.

Whilst I understand AndyJ's frustration, the truth is that if there was a chance the pitch was playable today then I think the ref that could've called for a second pitch inspection later today. This is nothing to do wi a big team calling favours wi the SFA over a "wee" team. An early call off is the right thing to do as it means fans on both sides don't have to waste holidays and can make alternate plans. Its also means that professional fulltime players can spend the day training rather than waste time travelling and can also mean that the Inverurie players can make arrangements wi their work to make sure they get time off for the next game well in advance without messing their work around by doing it only an hour or 2 before they leave work.

AndyJ, given our well-documented problems over the past few years, if the game was at Fir Park would you not be calling for an early kick-off so your players and fans weren't messed around? :thumbup:

AndyJ, given our well-documented problems over the past few years, if the game was at Fir Park would you not be calling for an early kick-off so your players and fans weren't messed around? :thumbup:

Presumably you mean an early call-off, not kick-off? In which case, hand on heart, no, I'd be perfectly happy with a 2pm inspection as I can get down in 2 1/2 hours so that's fine. The players would obviously have had to have taken the day off work, and any that couldnt do so wouldnt be able to play.

Presumably you mean an early call-off, not kick-off? In which case, hand on heart, no, I'd be perfectly happy with a 2pm inspection as I can get down in 2 1/2 hours so that's fine. The players would obviously have had to have taken the day off work, and any that couldnt do so wouldnt be able to play.

Andy - take it easy mate - It's the Motherwell equivalent of the Rangers 'We Deserve Better' campaign on here.

Everybody knew about the pitch and the weather (and the obvious risks) well before the tie.

Andy J - appreciate where you are coming from and I spoke to friends in Aberdeen who said the same as yourself about how mild the weather was today but they also said that the grass in the garden was still rock hard and the ref that did the inspection also knows that you need more than a day to rid the ground of that level of frost. No team whether professional or not should be risking players on that type of surface.

Like you though, just want to now get this one out the way!

IMO the pitch inspection should have taken place at 2pm today and if that upsets away fans then sorry but thats what happens when you let mickey mouse clubs into the cup. :lol:

Andy - I'm as brassed off as anybody about the cancellations but we had buses scheduled to leave Lanarkshire today at 1.30 and 2pm. Cancellations are costly. Those taking time off work need to get prepared to travel. I would have said that the latest that any inspection should have taken place was 9 am this morning but preferrably yesterday. The team bus would also have needed to leave early.

Its also quite possible that the air temperature would be above freezing but that the ground would be frozen. Also the surface can be ok but but be hard underneath. We just don't know. Anyway, you have to trust the referee in thse situations.

As I said before the earlier you do it the more conjecture there is, I think an inspection early this morning would have been reasonable if there was a chance yesterday - you have to assume the ref who inspected it deemed there was none. In the interest of customer service if you about 90 - 10 in favour of off you call it off early.

I'm not too upset the game was off as although I had made arrangements to leave work early today it would have left other people in so much shit I don;t think I could have done it for a game of footie.

Dunno whether I will make Monday next week (no chance of Wednesday) but like Mitch holding onto my ticket meantime as if we end up in the week after taht or on a Sat will be able to go, if I lose £15 tough shit.

FWIW the ground was solid last night and so the ref was right and AJ was wrong. :blush:

Brisbane, the best view is from where the vid was taken, but as that is by the home turnstiles I dont reckon you'd be in luck there. You could have a wander around the other side of the ground where you could probably see over the wall, but I aint recommending it.

I'm thinking the same too. To be honest, I know it depends on temperatures etc, but I just can't see it getting played next week although obviously I hope it does.

My boss is getting mega pissed off too ( I can understand) but I'd rather pester her for the time off than risk missing the game in case it is on.