St Mirren Vs Motherwell Nov 20th Thread

David

We were lucky to get a point yesterday after another poor performance. Second best throughout the match not winning enough 50/50 balls and failing to close down St Mirren quick enough on a few occasions.

Gow clearly has got the ability as he showed in the last 20 minutes but he was woeful for the other 70 minutes. Hope we don't keep him if he continues to put in below par performances and lack of effort.

Forbes did do well when he came swinging the game in our favour and supplying the assist for Blackmans equaliser.

Anybody know if Blackmans run of scoring in 7 consecutive away league games is a club record?

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMO the main reason for this is our two centre backs Craigan and Reynolds. Stephen Craigan should have been thanked for his valuable contribution to the club and then replaced at least a couple of seasons ago and Mark Reynolds has shown no real improvement in two seasons now - as witnessed by the fact that nobody has shown the least interest in signing him.

Some truth in that Grew. We've been lacking Mark McGhee's "dominant cente half" for some years now. It first became apparent to me, and a few others, during our 2005 CIS Cup run. I have a lot of time for Mark Reynolds, but as a left back not a centre back, and I believe that English sides think the same. He's simply not big enough or physical enough.

That said we also lack a strong defensive midfielder to shield the defence. Our full backs too don't defend well enough and allow too many crosses to rain in on the cental defence and Dareen Randolph. Jim Gannon picked up on this weakness. In fairness Steven Saunders and Tom Hately are not right backs.

For too long we've had automatic picks in defence and its time that changed.

Some truth in that Grew. We've been lacking Mark McGhee's "dominant cente half" for some years now. It first became apparent to me, and a few others, during our 2005 CIS Cup run. I have a lot of time for Mark Reynolds, but as a left back not a centre back, and I believe that English sides think the same. He's simply not big enough or physical enough.

this is actually beyond belief.

reynolds has played about half a dozen games at left back and not been particularly impressive, what gives you a lot of time for him there compared to the 170+ games he's played at centreback?

reynolds and craigan have been an excellent partnership for motherwell at a relatively very succesful period in the club's history. our defensive record in 2010 has been superb and we've kept clean sheets in nearly half our games, how the fuck people can criticise reynolds and craggs is completely beyond me.

in 22 games this season we've only conceded more than one goal 4 times (hibs x2, denmark, ibrox), that's a great record for any side but for one that playes 4 out and out attackers in every game it's unbelievable. anyone who thinks the defence have let us down this season and that we need mcghee's 6 foot 4 centre half has as much of a grip on reality as that diddy.

this is actually beyond belief.

reynolds has played about half a dozen games at left back and not been particularly impressive, what gives you a lot of time for him there compared to the 170+ games he's played at centreback?

reynolds and craigan have been an excellent partnership for motherwell at a relatively very succesful period in the club's history. our defensive record in 2010 has been superb and we've kept clean sheets in nearly half our games, how the fuck people can criticise reynolds and craggs is completely beyond me.

in 22 games this season we've only conceded more than one goal 4 times (hibs x2, denmark, ibrox), that's a great record for any side but for one that playes 4 out and out attackers in every game it's unbelievable. anyone who thinks the defence have let us down this season and that we need mcghee's 6 foot 4 centre half has as much of a grip on reality as that diddy.

Nail on head

Ladies and gentlemen , As many of you are aware the stewarding in the away stand by a certain steward was very heavy handed resulting in my friends son being ejected.

He has subsequently contacted St Mirren who have essentially said they were right to eject him, even though several police officers on the day disagreed and are to all intent "doing a Dougie"

If anyone witnessed the actions and would care to comment please post your views here or by all means PM me, I and my friend are obviously biased so would like some thoughts from neutrals,

What are they saying happened and what are you saying happened? suppose theres always three sides to a story

This is what Brian Caldwell at St Mirren said about the situation:

He was filmed on CCTV his and behaviour was definitely out of order and his

ejection WAS merited and was instigated by Police Control. Following his

ejection the same boy drunk Mad Dog, supplied by older males (who received a

police warning) in the car park again all caught on CCTV and witnessed by

myself control room staff and our two police Inspectors'

'The stewards had initially moved in to get the Motherwell supporter only

for him to be shielded and moved by other supporters and this is where the

parent says the boy moved to another seat and sat quietly. In the end it was

the police who moved in to remove the boy from his seat and then handed him

over to stewards

This, in itself, as anyone who was there, knows is either irrelevant or a lie. Firstly, what does it matter what he did outside after the game? He was only there cos he was chucked out. Secondly, his "out of order" behaviour was according to the stewards "persistent standing" (at five past three btw) and thirdly, and maybe more damningly, it wasn't "instigated by Police Control" it was instigated by Mark Rodgers, the lump of a steward out to bully Well fans. Many, many fans were around this and saw it. Rodgers himself even said he threw him out "cos he could", and the police told loads of fans that they would investigate because the steward was "heavy handed and out of order". The boy was thrown out on his face, his phone was broken and he'd to stand for 100 minutes waiting to get back onto his bus. Whilst I appreciate St Mirren could have just said "its our ground, we can eject who we like" to little argument, the fact that they are making stuff up now sounds like a Dougie McDonald post match analysis! Shocking.

Aye it was a joke, sat in the row behind two seats across and couldnt really believe the steward boy was serious. Mustve only been 5 minutes into the game maximum, everyone had been told to sit down when we either had a chance or a song was started up, the boy stood up (along with the whole section) and that wank steward waded in. He was a wee power hungry hitler wank that thoroughly enjoyed acting the hard man.

Aye it was a joke, sat in the row behind two seats across and couldnt really believe the steward boy was serious. Mustve only been 5 minutes into the game maximum, everyone had been told to sit down when we either had a chance or a song was started up, the boy stood up (along with the whole section) and that wank steward waded in. He was a wee power hungry hitler wank that thoroughly enjoyed acting the hard man.

Well said mate.

He went on to pick on an old man and a young couple, then got hoiked to the home stand by the police for antagonising people. THEN the Buddies even had a go at him!

But, according to St Mirren, nothing happened. We imagined it all! Where's Neil Lennon when you need him!

As for this "persistent standing" bollocks - they had no idea how to enforce it. First they argued with my mate "it's the law" - which it isn't. Secondly, how can he be persistently standing five minutes in? He couldn't have scratched his arse in that time! Even the police agreed. Thirdly, why him and not one of any of the 100s also standing (including me, but, see, I'm a grown man and quite big...) and, finally, why are the OF allowed to stand and we're not?