Referee's To Go On Strike

delboy

Could see that coming. Do you blame them ?

Our referees are no where near good enough, they behave in a supercilious, pompous and overly haughty way, they belong to an arcane clique that desperately needs to be dragged into the 21st century and now cannot even be trusted to tell the truth to other football professionals in regards to their decisions.

But you know what? I don't blame them. The best possible thing that can happen is if the referee's stick to their guns here and have next weekends matches are postponed.

The game in this country needs a wake up call and the referees strike might just be the thing. We've had years and years of bickering and self interest for clubs, individuals, organizations but it cannot stand for much longer. Unless the Scottish football establishment can come together and work as a united front it will not survive much longer.

Players, managers, clubs all have to have a long hard look in the mirror. So do referees but the mud slinging has to end now, with everyone coming together to work things and and try and build a better game. The alternative is oblivion, its as stark as that.

• Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Our referees are no where near good enough, they behave in a supercilious, pompous and overly haughty way, they belong to an arcane clique that desperately needs to be dragged into the 21st century and now cannot even be trusted to tell the truth to other football professionals in regards to their decisions.

But you know what? I don't blame them. The best possible thing that can happen is if the referee's stick to their guns here and have next weekends matches are postponed.

The game in this country needs a wake up call and the referees strike might just be the thing. We've had years and years of bickering and self interest for clubs, individuals, organizations but it cannot stand for much longer. Unless the Scottish football establishment can come together and work as a united front it will not survive much longer.

Players, managers, clubs all have to have a long hard look in the mirror. So do referees but the mud slinging has to end now, with everyone coming together to work things and and try and build a better game. The alternative is oblivion, its as stark as that.

There ye go. Spot on.

ideally celtic would be expelled from scottish football but that's not going to happen. it should only be celtic who are boycotted by the refs but if they did that then they'd never hear the end of it from celtic and there would be no chance of ever ending this.

idiots like speirs and keevins having been going on about how celtic have the sfa "over a barrel" without saying what celtic could possibly do to them. the bottom line is that there's no games without refs and that the sfa is football in scotland whether people like it or not.

i'd like to see our club leading the way, maybe teaming up with st johnstone, hibs, st mirren and killie and trying to sort this out before the weekend. draw up a respect charter and get everyone to agree to it, if anyone refuses to sign up or breaks it then the refs can boycott them.

The SFA is just an old boys club & thats why refs will never be punished when they make an arse of it. The whole jobs for the boys culture will continue until there is a radical clear out of the SFA.

Also i agree 100% that refs should be made to state which team they support. The fact they can officiate in a game where they have a vested interest is just absolutely ludicrus. If any Well fan was the ref in a game against Airdrie can they honestly say they would officiate it fairly? Yet every week we are supposed to accept that refs can put their bias aside & officiate as a neutral. Yeah right thats gonna happen :rolleyes:

Refereeing standards in the SPL are under question and have been for decades and rightly so. I was at Hampden when we played Rangers in a cup game in the 70's or early 80's and the ref gave a penalty when I knew and the TV highlights confirmed the tackle was at least a yard out the box. Having watched American football, college football and the NHL, they get it right because they review decisions that they are not certain about, but most times they got it right first time. Our standards of refereeing are woeful in comparison.

The SFA are not blameless in this situation they should have dealt with the whole Dougie McDonald episode better, he should have been sacked, and never allowed to referee another match. That said the SFA have not had the balls to stand up to Celtic and deal with their players and management calling them cheats, biased etc.

The Celtic board are guilty as well as they have constantly refused to critise their manager, who if he was an ordinary fan and acted like that he would be in the jail.

The other clubs should get together and force the SFA to act and get this crap sorted out, for the sake of the game

The SFA is just an old boys club & thats why refs will never be punished when they make an arse of it. The whole jobs for the boys culture will continue until there is a radical clear out of the SFA.

Also i agree 100% that refs should be made to state which team they support. The fact they can officiate in a game where they have a vested interest is just absolutely ludicrus. If any Well fan was the ref in a game against Airdrie can they honestly say they would officiate it fairly? Yet every week we are supposed to accept that refs can put their bias aside & officiate as a neutral. Yeah right thats gonna happen :whistling:

What a farce that would be tho, what referee is going to say they support Rangers or Celtic, absolutely none of them because in doing so you are almost completely erradicated from refereeing the biggest games in scotland ie) Old firm games and 9/10 cup finals, because you would have a 'vested' interest.

By not getting to referee these games you will in turn probably never be noticed enough to get a European game and furthermore international, world cup games etc. So by declaring your team in Scotland theres just about every chance it would be of detriment to your career. Of course i am presuming that most people in this country are Old Firm fans, but realistically they are not just in first past the post but by proportional representation so it's more then feasable.

Heres a typical example: Motherwell fan, well he canny referee a Motherwell game obviously and then in turn not a Hamilton game or an Airdrie game. Mind motherwell hate Hearts considerably aswell so that rules that out. Obviously no old firm games - Motherwell fans despise that mob.

Where does it end - that's the problem.

Also, every rag in this country is going to be filled of stories of some referee who is a supposed Motherwell fan at his mates 8th Birthday Party dawning a Rangers strip - making him out to be a complete liar and thus completely deamonising the already tattered integrity of our Referees.

The idea in principle might be ok,but in a small country like ours who have only two dominating teams it's a total non starter.

We ask people in every other profession in the country to not show bias against others who are not of your religion,colour,creed - so suerly asking Referees to do the same isn't out of order. Anyway i wouldn't particularly say that referees in this country are ever particularly bias, bad..now that's a different matter but i see plenty decisions go for and against teams all the time. I watched the highlights of the motherwell game last night and seen a few horrendous decisions - but i wouldn't say they went for or against anyone in particular. Yes,Referees are poor just now but should we not be putting far more effort into finding ways of helping them week in week out to get decisions correct that further adding fuel to the fire by way of questionaires on their team preferences.

Refereeing standards in the SPL are under question and have been for decades and rightly so. I was at Hampden when we played Rangers in a cup game in the 70's or early 80's and the ref gave a penalty when I knew and the TV highlights confirmed the tackle was at least a yard out the box. Having watched American football, college football and the NHL, they get it right because they review decisions that they are not certain about, but most times they got it right first time. Our standards of refereeing are woeful in comparison.

To be fair, I don't think you can't realistically compare the refereeing of such different sports. For one thing, the laws of American football are lot more tightly defined, with each player only allowed to do certain things, tackle in specific ways etc., so in theory at least there's less left down to the referee's discretion. And in the NFL there are six officials on the pitch each doing a specific job and watching for specific infringements, not just one guy in the middle and a couple of guys running up and down the side.

Even the NHL has four officials on the ice, and that's a much smaller playing area than a football pitch (yes it's a faster game, but the officials have ice skates on as well so they can move quicker too!)

The game has been in decline for many years, and the authorities have done nothing, whilst picking up nice earnings along the way. The authorities have pandered to the old firm since day one, and see where that has got us. Nothing will change after this token gesture by the refs. Money has ruined the game, and for me the top end of the football pyramid is boring and predictable.

Perhaps the fans need to go on strike to show we've had enough. After all without fans their is no game.

The standard of players not just refs is appalling given the amount of money those individuals pick up each week.

MAybe a system like the Americans use in the NFL. The bench get 3 chances to challenge the referee per half. That way their is hardly any time lost as they don't want to use up thier allotted "Claims" and risk having nonje lefdt should a major decision come about towards the end of the game whenit is crucial

MAybe a system like the Americans use in the NFL. The bench get 3 chances to challenge the referee per half. That way their is hardly any time lost as they don't want to use up thier allotted "Claims" and risk having nonje lefdt should a major decision come about towards the end of the game whenit is crucial
The American system works (to some extent) because it's conducive to the structure of the game (i.e. punctuated by a succession of stops and commerical breaks). It also works because managing timeouts are a key part of game strategy, and coaches don't want to risk losing them.

Most importantly, however, it works because *every* professional game that is played is covered about 20 cameras that cover every possible angle of every play

Even then, this is the second time around for instant replays in the NFL - the coaches hated it so much the first time around that they scrapped it. This time around they severely restricted it.

And for all that, just watch any random game on a Sunday afternoon and I guarantee you will see the commentators point out at least half a dozen bad calls made by the squad of officials - often ones that can have a big impact on the game. Case in point yesterday, the Cowboys punt returner that stepped out of bounds on his way to 97 yard touchdown run.

I get the impression this action is more because of the failure of the SFA to publicly comment on the recent goings on and criticisms of officials, they seem to feel there is a lack of support from within the corridors of Hampden.

Totally agree the SFA are run by the Blazers from all the wee diddy teams like Brechin, Clyde, etc who are only interested in their free trips abroad and not paying into matches, they dont give a feck about the state of the game.

There has been a deafening sillence from Hampden throughout this whole sorry affair, McDonald should have been sacked immediately, Celtic and Neil Lennon should have been charged with misconduct for calling all refs Cheats etc, so i am with the refs on this one.

However all it does is feed all the conspiracy arseholes at Celtic park and gives them further justification.

We need to clear out the whole SFA and get people in who are experienced at running a multi million pound business, or football in scotland is F**Ked