How Many Times Has The Grass Been Greener?

Steve Diggle

Reading the 'Transfer Window' Thread got me thinking.

How many times does a player actually discover greener grass in footballing terms after 'using' Motherwell as a stepping stone? For a good few it has worked out - but for loads it hasn't or has yet to. Financially, yes - in the short term at least these guys tend to make money - but that's not everything is it?

Some do it with dignity others do it with their gob flapping about in the wind that their belly rumbling has caused.

There are those who specifically say that they're away for something 'better' - destined for the heights. Step forward Brian Kerr, Graeme Smith and Fraser Wishart (lets collectively tally up the international caps and winners medals shall we) - :drinks: Fuck 'em!

Recent departees Quinn, O'Brien, Clarkson, Porter, McCormack, Hughes have had very limited success in the Chumpionship or League 1. In fact I don't even know if Hughes is still a UK resident.

Coke seems to be fitting in at Wednesday and Juke is doing 'alright' at Coventry

Faddy has obviously done well for himself - but probably has disappointed in terms of how high a profile he has actually achieved - although for me I'm chuffed to bits for the guy for everything that he's got from the game.

Wee fat arse McDonald, Pearo, Phil and Andy Wanker had success at C****c short to medium term and patchy results when they were eventually dispensed with. Wanker probably having the most prolific follow on move stunningly enough.

Phil shone when he came back -make you wonder why anyone leaves our beloved club in the first place.

I'm right, ain't I? The hallowed Fir park turf is the best in the land!

Reading the 'Transfer Window' Thread got me thinking.

How many times does a player actually discover greener grass in footballing terms after 'using' Motherwell as a stepping stone? For a good few it has worked out - but for loads it hasn't or has yet to. Financially, yes - in the short term at least these guys tend to make money - but that's not everything is it?

Some do it with dignity others do it with their gob flapping about in the wind that their belly rumbling has caused.

There are those who specifically say that they're away for something 'better' - destined for the heights. Step forward Brian Kerr, Graeme Smith and Fraser Wishart (lets collectively tally up the international caps and winners medals shall we) - :drinks: Fuck 'em!

Recent departees Quinn, O'Brien, Clarkson, Porter, McCormack, Hughes have had very limited success in the Chumpionship or League 1. In fact I don't even know if Hughes is still a UK resident.

Coke seems to be fitting in at Wednesday and Juke is doing 'alright' at Coventry

Faddy has obviously done well for himself - but probably has disappointed in terms of how high a profile he has actually achieved - although for me I'm chuffed to bits for the guy for everything that he's got from the game.

Wee fat arse McDonald, Pearo, Phil and Andy Wanker had success at C****c short to medium term and patchy results when they were eventually dispensed with. Wanker probably having the most prolific follow on move stunningly enough.

Phil shone when he came back -make you wonder why anyone leaves our beloved club in the first place.

I'm right, ain't I? The hallowed Fir park turf is the best in the land!

I think you have claret and amber tinted glasses on.

Whilst I would have loved these players to have stayed at Motherwell, realistically we can't offer them the wages that other clubs can. We don't have the fanbase that other clubs do. And without those to things we can't keep a stable team/squad.

Andy Walker had a good career. You can't argue against that. MacDonald played in the Champions League, scoring a winner against AC Milan. O'Donnell was very unlucky with injuries, Pearson has drifted and has also had his fair share of injuries.

This is an interesting topic though, where would we be if we had held on to recent departees. I would have loved us to have held on to O'Brien. However I don't think we have missed Quinn or Porter. McCormack needs to get his game back but he had an amazing first season at Cardiff.

I find it difficult to condemn anyone who leaves Motherwell for elsewhere, because at the end of the day, it's a job of work and they have to go where the money is for themselves and their families. I mean, if it was a different profession, you wouldn't condemn a guy for moving to Sainsburys from Tescos cos he got a more money.

Whether they are successful or not really doesn't matter. Pearo is a good example. Had a decent season here, had his wages trebled then doubled and sits and does fuck aw. Good on him I say.

Others, like Coke of Juke or even Kerr and Hughes are journeymen players who don't care if they're playing for us or Bin Laden FC cos it's all about the dosh, and rightly so. Guys like Las and Hammy who have come home again - and Uncle Phil let's not forget - show a bit of humility and great dignity as well as loyalty and that has to be respected. I reckon we'll see Clarky again too, cos, despite all I said, I reckon his heart is in Fir Park.

The ones that piss me off though are the ones who go away and start kissing other badges. Wee McDonald is a good example of this. What a tit. How I smirked when Mowbery got the Middlesborough job! No need to be a c**t about it, Skippy! Same wi Derek Townsley too... although to be fair he took a fair bit of stick off us before he left!

pearson has a decent cv for someone of his ability. scotland caps including the win over holland and in paris. he played and scored in the champions league. he has a scottish league and cup medal. he scored the winner in the play off final and he played in the epl. plus he married a miss scotland which not many people would have predicted when he broke into the well team.

the same goes for mcculloch. a full set of scottish medals, english league cup and uefa cup runners up medals, scotland caps and a belter of a goal. plenty of champions league and epl experience.

for two local boys with little actual talent they've done very well for themselves.

The OP was a bit devil's advocate - hoping some would realise that - however hey ho!

And I do realise money is the over-riding factor - I'm not completely mental

however is the above satement really true

Probably not entirely. Whilst I was being a bit flippant about the working-in-tescos analogy, I do get that there is a heart and loyalty to a club and that most footballers want to, well, actually play football.

However, take £1000 at Motherwell and do what we do or £15,000 at Barnsley or somewhere and sit on your arse. It's an easy choice. Even if it's not that cynical, surely the thought is "well I'm good enough to play..." even if they're not.

Pearo again is a good example, as the previous poster pointed out, a fabulous CV for a mediocre/average player.

Porter has been unlucky with injury at Derby.

Rosco was dynamite when he first joined Cardiff, but has fallen away quite badly.

I would also think most players don't expect to move to a bigger club and expect it not to turn out well.

I mean imagine you were working for a wee local shop as a store manager and John Lewis called saying they wanted you to run one of their stores. The first thing that enters your mind its Yass I have just got an amazing job, not mmm I might not take this as I could fuck up.

The OP was a bit devil's advocate - hoping some would realise that - however hey ho!

And I do realise money is the over-riding factor - I'm not completely mental

however is the above satement really true

Only the individuals involved can decide that. Just like the rest of us in 'ordinary' jobs, for some the most important thing is just finding the most enjoyable environment for doing whatever it is they do, for some it's all about the money, and for others it's about trying to make a name for themselves and rising to the top of their chosen profession.

It's a two-way street. How many players have come to Fir Park as a 'step-up' and failed miserably - a pretty big list. Football is pretty fickle at the best of times and the odds of being a success at any level are pretty slim.

As for those that have moved elsewhere, guys like Lambert, McAllister, McLair, Boyd and McCulloch managed to eke out a meagre living away from Fir Park.

With a lot of them it comes down to lack of ambition. How many times have we heard of players form smaller teams moving to the mould firm knowing fine well that if they are lucky they will make the bench. Many times these players have been on the verge of international call ups but a lack of ambition means they go to warm some other mobs bench before disappearing into obscurity. Although a lot of it has to do with them getting more money to warm someone elses bench it's mainly lack of ambition. Any class player who has ambition will stay at the smaller club to improve their technique then when their big move comes it will be to a bigger team that they are good enough to play for and they will get the big money.

With a lot of them it comes down to lack of ambition. How many times have we heard of players form smaller teams moving to the mould firm knowing fine well that if they are lucky they will make the bench. Many times these players have been on the verge of international call ups but a lack of ambition means they go to warm some other mobs bench before disappearing into obscurity. Although a lot of it has to do with them getting more money to warm someone elses bench it's mainly lack of ambition. Any class player who has ambition will stay at the smaller club to improve their technique then when their big move comes it will be to a bigger team that they are good enough to play for and they will get the big money.

I can't really agree that a lack of ambition being a reason why someone would join the Old Firm.

The money element's a given. Whether they succeed or fail they'll have seriously boosted their bank balance and they will doubtless be aware that a career ending injury is always a possibily, that that opportunity to give yourself some security might not come around again.

But if a player from one of the diddy teams has caught the eye of the Old Firm in the first place then you would imagine they must have something about them. They will then be faced with the potential buyer massaging their ego about how good they are and how they are going to benefit the team to entice them to sign. At the same time their profile will be raised by the media considerably because they've been linked with one of the Old Firm. They may very well also have an agent using all of the above as indicator as to how good their client must be. The might even very well support one of the two of them.

I doubt then that there will have been very few Riordan's, Pearson's, Walker's, Novo's and even Alex Cleland's of the world who have gone to Ibrox or Parkhead not utterly convinced they are the vital missing piece of jigsaw and destined for great things.

The opportunity to play in Europe year in, year out and boost your chances of an international career or hope that the odd European campaign or good season in the league or cup run comes your way. Remove the emotion from it and surely the lack of ambition is if you don't take that chance to play at the highest level your ability allows?

Don't get me wrong much the same as the Old Firm will use all of the above as an argument to get their man I'll shout from the rooftops with all our usual counter arguements about being stuck on the bench and becoming a forgotten man etc that we use whenever one of our own is linked with them.

But its not much of a surprise that the vast majority will choose to make the move. As much of a kick in the teeth it is to see them forsake us for some bastard outfit from Glasgow its understandable and I can just about tolerate it, if the move is handled with some consideration and tact.

Looking back its the Jason Dair to Livingston, Steven Craig to Aberdeen, Brian Kerr to Hibs and further back Owen Coyle to Dunfermline moves that have aggrieved me more. I can accept that the Old Firm will have a lure for the majority but Jason Dair knocking back MFC to go to Livi to further his career? Oh come on.....

Looking back its the Jason Dair to Livingston, Steven Craig to Aberdeen, Brian Kerr to Hibs and further back Owen Coyle to Dunfermline moves that have aggrieved me more. I can accept that the Old Firm will have a lure for the majority but Jason Dair knocking back MFC to go to Livi to further his career? Oh come on.....

Not that it applies to everyone on your list, but "furthering your career" doesn't necessarily mean "going to a bigger club" or "earning more money". Moving to a smaller/lesser club at which you'll be one of the most experienced and/or senior players could also be a good career move if you've got your heart set on being a club captain, or moving into coaching, for example.