389 members have voted

1. 1. Would you rather...

• Mark McGhee
    • Scott Leitch
    • John Hughes
    • John Collins
    • Jimmy Calderwood
    • Jim Gannon
    • Luc Niholt (aw, come on, I had tae...)
    • Tommy McLean
    • Derek McInnes
    • Stephen Craigan
    • Somebody else.. Goan tell us...

Getting a lot of tips from different people that John McGlynn at Raith Rovers could be our new man.

Appreciate what you are saying, and it doesn't exactly excite me either, but if you look at it objectively the guy has done amazing things with Raith and fuck all money. Which is exactly what he will have if he comes to Fir Park.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unless McGlynn has a clause that allows him to take over an SPL team with zero compersation due then I doubt it will be him. We're not going to spend money releasing him from his contract.

FWIW, I got a worried text earlier from a cousin working in Edinburgh with a few Hibs fans. They are pretty convinced that Hughes will be taking over.

I hope it's not either or them.

Only problem i have with yogi is i neither dislike or like him. I think he's a decent guy and an ok manager.

He would fill us with ex "future potential" scotland superstars! so look forward fir park to seeing Darryl Duffy playing up front with Murphy.

Keigan Parkers return to the SPL

Maybe even Brian Kerr!

He would need to bring Eoin Jess in, because we all know he had all the potential in the world

No probs,

Enjoy Yogi bigging up the town of Motherwell

I like Yogi anyway. For what it's worth I think he'd do a decent job at a club like ours especially in regards to bringing through young players and trying to play fitba in the correct manner. He's also used to working with a limited budget (Falkirk) & seems a fairly loyal kind of guy which we as a club are crying out for at the moment. The next manager 'NEEDS' to bring a bit of stability to the Ark. Press conferences would be top notch as well. That said, I don't think he'll get the job.

Unless McGlynn has a clause that allows him to take over an SPL team with zero compersation due then I doubt it will be him. We're not going to spend money releasing him from his contract.

FWIW, I got a worried text earlier from a cousin working in Edinburgh with a few Hibs fans. They are pretty convinced that Hughes will be taking over.

I hope it's not either or them.

Big Jim and Mongo Hibs fans isnae a great mix when talking footy rumours though :ph34r:

I wish no harm to Yogi Hughes but he is not the man for the job.

Stuart McCall I loved as a player, worth an interview but I don't see it going any further.

If Collins was genuinely interested he would be brilliant but as I've said before, he doesn't have the stomach for a gig in the SPL.

Derek Adams remains my preference.

It is a media myth that John Hughes' teams play "fitba in the correct manner". Have a read of what Falkirk and Hibs fans have to say about his sides and you will quickly discover it was turgid mind-numbing pass around the back never forward shite. You'll also find out quickly that he has no plan B, always plays his favourites and he is not at all rated by anyone who supports a team he has ever managed.

Appreciate what you are saying, and it doesn't exactly excite me either, but if you look at it objectively the guy has done amazing things with Raith and fuck all money. Which is exactly what he will have if he comes to Fir Park.

Agreed.

Would be able to get the best out of our squad I feel. Meant to be a very good football man who is highly respected and liked by all his players and fans etc. Could do a lot worse.

Has experience and isnt one of the usual clowns mentioned. I would take him for the job.

I wouldn't be too disappointed with Yogi, I think his record at Falkirk was good and he was initially very good at Hibs. I think we have to accept we are either going to get a novice or someone who is out a job. We aren't going to get a good manager who is currently in a job.

At the same time I wouldn't be distraught with Calderwood, who has a great record at SPL level. I think Hughes is better working with younger players.

Even Leeann Dempster said it at the MST night............we need and are long overdue managerial stability. We, collectively, bemoaned McGhee for having his eye on Hearts, Scotland, Celtic, and, ultimately, Aberdeen. Same again with CB when he went up North. Both highly unsettling episodes for the entire club.

I'd like to attract a manager who wouldn't see sticking around Motherwell for the length of time Terry Butcher did as a bad move. It would appear to me certain people (McGhee and Brown) got us to a level they felt, for one reason or another, was as far as they could take us and they then got out when their stock was high in an effort to protect a reputation and career. How much HIGHER would a manager's stock be if they built a Motherwell team up to a successful level TWICE during his spell in charge?

Now lets get to John Hughes. A man who whilst the manager of Falkirk REPEATEDLY and disrespectfully spoke of his desire to manage in England. He treated the Falkirk fans the same way McGhee treated us. Hughes is a man who spoke of putting this ambition of managing in England on the back burner when appointed manager of HIS boyhood team. A man who made an utter mess of a club that should be a lock for the 3rd place every year in the SPL due to finances and youth set up. If Hughes was appointed as our manager and was successful he would be off quicker (or at the very least as quick) than McGhee and Brown were.......especially if a hint of a half decent job in the Championship/excellent job in League came up.

He is at a stage where his career has stalled big time and he is further from managing in England now than he was when he was in charge of Falkirk. John Hughes is NOT the answer. We need someone ambitious, but also someone who can wait more than 1-2 years for that 'big move'..........which as recent history shows doesn't always work out.

Say what you want about Billy Reid (and I do )but in the summer he reportedly knocked back Swansea to stay at Accies. An utterly thankless job with zero chances of ANY success, unless you count not getting relegated. Sounds unbelievable to me but that is apparently what happened.

We could do with some of that longevity/loyalty. We WON'T get it from Hughes.

i'll tell you what Finlay good post!

As i said earlier all Yogi goes on about as well is how great a club Hibs are just like McGee and celtic.

I was thinking and put on a post earlier manager who would possibly look at Motherwell and want to run it for the long run and i ended up with like 2 and one was Craigan!.

I dont understand why were seen as a stepping stone. Lots of my mates at work who support the OF say to me that the Motherwell job is a great prospect cause we have all the tools to make a massive push and go to the next level where teams like Aberdeen are not seen as a bigger club than us.

Billy Reid is a fantastic man, i like Accies and i think Billy Reid has done wonders there and deserves all the credit that comes his way

Billy Reid is a fantastic man, i like Accies and i think Billy Reid has done wonders there and deserves all the credit that comes his way

<_ do you know where your posting>

I can appreciete that Billy Reid has done a good job for accies but I still hate him and his filthy team.

One of the funniest things I've ever seen was when Billy Reid broke that dug out thing at Douglas Park when they scored against us, I'll never forget it.

Accies dont bother me I hate airdrie with a passion but Hamilton dont get on my nerves because they hate us so much and i just laugh at them

It was funny when he broke the dugout! something else that was funny about that team was when Simon Mensing was released by us cause he's shit

Lets look at some of the names banded about recently. Leeann alluded to 30 applications being narrowed (no doubt by compensation, ability to work with limited funds, longevity and influence/knowledge to better the squad).

Yogi Hughes - As ambitious as McGhee, would always have his eye on the next move, his approach is to intimidate rather than inspire. What McGhee is to ego's, he is to bullying.

Billy Reid - For me, his approach and tactics are a cancer in Scottish football, the recent derby is testament to that. I also don't advocate one SPL club going for another current SPL manager.

Mark McGhee - Absolutely not, he burned his bridges after a dodgy second season and elements of our support threw petrol on it at Pittrodrie last season. I am sure he privately cites the death of Phil O'D as the primary reason he didn't get Scotland.

Stuart McCall - Don't have my eye on what he did at Bradford to fully comment, however his contacts in the lower English leagues could be a benefit, along with maybe calling in favours from former colleagues (McCoist, McLeish, etc) to get their starlets access to first time football.

Whoever gets it, I think we are in a strong enough position to suggest that they move to the area and settle, no more BA executive lounge holding managers please.

Boyle prides himself of innovative and unconventional appointments, I don't expect a u-turn now.

Most Hibs fans I know found Yogi good for entertainment value on a personal level, but lacking imagination and know how as a coach. I dare say he will get another stab at management with somebody, but hopefully not us.

I like the comments made in recent posts regards bringing in a manager for the long haul, with an ambition of building Motherwell up to a successful club. We have been a stepping stone for too many personal careers.

Derek Adams or someone of similar ilk would fit the bill.

FAO Finlay (your post is way too long to quote <_>

I know where you are coming from, however If John Hughes or any other manager came and signed a 3 year contract. If in 18 months he finished 3rd or 4th and won or even got us to a final of a cup and then moved to the championship and as a result got us 200k signing on fee. Would that really bother you ? I would be quite happy with that. We need to start viewing managers the way we do players. If they come in and do a job and then get a move then fair enough.

However, there is a way to go about it and Brown and Mutley handled it the wrong way. If Brown went the first time I would have been disappointed but I wouldn't have grudged him his move but he was a lying twat about it so I can't stand him. Mutley was the complete opposite and courted every move going publicly. If the next manager comes in and does his job successfully and wins his move in a dignified manner then I will wish him well. I'd much rather that than a manager with a mediocre record staying for 5 years or longer.