389 members have voted

1. 1. Would you rather...

• Mark McGhee
    • Scott Leitch
    • John Hughes
    • John Collins
    • Jimmy Calderwood
    • Jim Gannon
    • Luc Niholt (aw, come on, I had tae...)
    • Tommy McLean
    • Derek McInnes
    • Stephen Craigan
    • Somebody else.. Goan tell us...

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bit out of order, but hey, here's a suggestion, anyone want to take this thread forward by suggesting realistic appointments? I dunno, call me old fashioned but some of the posts on this so far are a waste of bandwidth.

If we're advocating Chris Houghton, then I'll have a Mourinho with a Hiddink as number 2.

Now listen, I'll spell it out, Here's JB's criteria:

1) Either free agent or able to break contract without penalty.

2) Someone who is prepared to come to Motherwell.

3) Can achieve a lot with a little budget.

Bit out of order, but hey, here's a suggestion, anyone want to take this thread forward by suggesting realistic appointments? I dunno, call me old fashioned but some of the posts on this so far are a waste of bandwidth.

If we're advocating Chris Houghton, then I'll have a Mourinho with a Hiddink as number 2.

LadywellToi I have to agree with you on that one....but the question still remains ...who?

Chat on the radio tonight was there has been a fair number of applications and they are setting up interviews. Take it for what is is worth but McGhee hasn't applied. Not that he would need too.

However, the belief is we can possibly expect another Jim Gannon type appointment rather than a Gus MacPherson.

Time will tell. Should be in place for Rangers game on 26/12. What a start eh? First game against a team that neither Malpas, McGhee, Gannon, or Brown could beat.

Oh then it's Celtic!

From the Herald today....

John Boyle takes to Motherwell manager task with clear criteria in mind

As always, John Boyle will neither be rushed, or swayed by convention.

The Motherwell chairman is embarking on the search for a fifth manager in less than five years, and he will continue to work to his own imperatives.

In the past, Boyle has preferred looking beyond the obvious. Mark McGhee, although well-known, had established his managerial career down south and was an imaginative, even unlikely, choice, as was Craig Brown when he took over last season (considered by many to be beyond a return to the dugout); Jim Gannon, idiosyncratic and bull-headed, was less successful.

Boyle remains on good terms with McGhee, and although he will not look to reappoint him, he may seek his advice. The chairman is also known to highly rate Scott Leitch, and even took the former Motherwell player on as an interim manager in June 2007, before McGhee’s arrival. The two subsequently forged a good relationship, with Leitch following the manager to Pittodrie last year.

While Leitch will figure in Boyle’s thinking, so too will Chris McCart, who left his role as Motherwell’s head of youth for a similar position at Celtic two years ago. McCart is a highly thought of as a Scottish Cup winner with Motherwell and the man who guided the early careers of the club’s impressive youngsters, including Jamie Murphy, Steven Saunders and Ross Forbes.

Leitch and McCart would also meet the requirement to be comfortable with Motherwell’s business model, which is based upon bringing through youngsters, selling them, then augmenting the side with free agents and loans. It was a frustration to Brown that his budget could not be stretched, but Boyle refuses to overspend having once seen the club fall into administration.

John Hughes, Jimmy Calderwood and Gus MacPherson would all bring Clydesdale Bank Premier League experience, but Boyle prefers to trust his own judgment and assess candidates during the interview process. He is in no rush to appoint, with Gordon Young taking charge of the side in the meantime.

Boyle intends to sift through those who apply or make their interest known, which will likely include Steve Clarke, John Collins, Gordon Chisholm and Billy Stark. An outsider is Luc Nijholt, the former Fir Park player who was on the shortlist to replace McGhee.

Clarke, the former Chelsea and West Ham assistant, would be the most intriguing choice. He has established an impressive reputation but has long sought a managerial job and, while accustomed to the large salaries on offer in the Barclay’s Premier League, he will view Motherwell as a stable, well-run club and is wealthy enough to take a post on its merits rather than for the rewards on offer.

A willingness to work with youngsters, resourcefulness and good contacts would be the prime considerations, but Boyle will also be influenced by another factor. He has lost two managers to Aberdeen in two years, and has overseen a constant turnover in the dugout.

It is testament to the club’s stability and youth set-up that in Motherwell have flourished in that time, as well as the work of the men Boyle as appointed. On this occasion, securing a manager who will not jump when the first bigger job becomes available must figure prominently.

Jim Gannon

He was offered an interview by Motherwell this week and turned it down.

He had an informal chat with Michael Johnston about the Killie job during the summer but did not have an interview.

Hadn't heard this. Name well banded about on the BBC last night too.

Motherwell vice-chairman Derek Weir insists the club wants their new manager in place by Christmas and refuses to rule out a return for former manager Mark McGhee. (The Record)

Former Rangers star Stuart McCall is one of the names in the frame for the top job at Motherwell. (The Express).

15 Dec 2010

Rangers great Stuart McCall has thrown his hat into the ring for the vacant Motherwell manager’s job.

McCall has been out of work since parting company with former club Bradford City earlier this year and is currently doing scouting work for Norwich City.

However, the former Scotland midfielder is keen to get back into management and would jump at the chance to return to this country to take charge of the Steelmen.

Former Chelsea assistant boss Steve Clarke will NOT be taking over from Craig Brown at Fir Park.

The ex-St Mirren player is on gardening leave after splitting from West Ham – where he was No.2 to Gianfranco Zola – in the summer and does not want to be considered

Hartson in today's Sun clearly is touting himself for the job -

Hartson says

I know that Motherwell are looking for a new manager now that Craig Brown has left for Aberdeen.

If John Boyle was to contact me that would really put the cat among the pigeons.

A job in the top flight of Scottish football is something I'd obviously need to consider.

The opportunity to manage Motherwell would turn my head.

I don't know what Mr Boyle is thinking about as he begins his search for a new boss.

But I'd bring commitment, passion and desire to the job. A commitment he's probably never seen before. I enjoyed a hugely successful playing career.

Had a quick glance at the Daily Record in the barbers this morning (aye, like I'd buy it), the mention of McGhee in the gossip column is misleading. Weir was asked about McGhee and said something like he hadn't seen his name among the applications but he was sure that most people left Motherwell on good terms with John Boyle...

Oh, aye. John Hartson, naw...