389 members have voted

1. 1. Would you rather...

• Mark McGhee
    • Scott Leitch
    • John Hughes
    • John Collins
    • Jimmy Calderwood
    • Jim Gannon
    • Luc Niholt (aw, come on, I had tae...)
    • Tommy McLean
    • Derek McInnes
    • Stephen Craigan
    • Somebody else.. Goan tell us...

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

anybody heard the name ray parlour mentioned yet?

just talking to a guy in work when he casually brought this up, I asked him where he heard that,he said on the internet somewhere.

that would be a bit too out of the blue,even for boyle surely?

Probably read it here.........

Yahooooooo

One to ponder while we're waiting. Particularly the history 're-writers'

The previous previous guy - the devil incarnate himself - was apparently driving MFC on a one way journey to relegation - with us slipping to 6th place in the table and pampers all over the region were being soaked in the smelly stuff.

The previous guy - arch angel broon (well up until last week anyway) technically leaves the club - with the new guy taking over with us 6th place in the table.

funny that innit?

We're dooooooomed :dash2:

Roll on December 2011, 6th place and the search for Motherwell's new manager at Christmas. It's kinda becoming more interesting than the annual race for Christmas No 1.

The highly reliable and bastion of truth that is the Daily Record 'report' that the interview process ended on Monday. McCall, Sutton, Sbragia, Fenlon, and Stubbs (IIRC) were the names being decided on. Now, has the full interview process been completed or was that just round one?

Some are hinting at Stubbs, others at Sbragia, while certain people claim to have been told it is Fenlon. Either way I do expect it to be one of those three. I have no idea which one I would prefer to get the job.

In all the talk, Derek Weir's comments that there were really two posts they were looking to fill has been forgotten. Sbragia ticks a lot of the boxes regards contacts, ability to source players but Weir also mentioned that they were also looking to find someone who could work with and nurture young players. I'm just wondering if he club are taking their time to find the right two people as opposed to finding the right manager and see who he wants as his assistant. Might take a bit longer as they'll need to make sure the chemistry is right...

Isn't "nurturing the youth" Gordon Young's job? Call me auld fashioned but surely we require what we just lost namely a gaffer that is a half decent tactician with good man management skills (with a keen eye for a player) and an assistant that takes training eveyday and is a bit of a hard taskmaster (with a keen eye for a player).

Good point Melv,

Maybe that was why there was talking about Chisholm and Dodds, i think that would work if we had like a team 2 guys maybe one to focus on youth and the other to work on the first team?

Not so much first team and youth team as I assume Gordon Young has got the youth teams well covered. I just remember one of Brown's last interviews with us when he mentioned that Knox did most of the coaching and he did a lot of the other stuff that went with management. Was it now Brown's relationship with Allardyce and Kean that got us Blackman? And Randolph was recommended by Christian Dailly? I think the club are looking for a management team who each bring different things to the table. Possibly also looking for an assistant separately so that when our next manager goes to Aberdeen, the assistant might actually stay to mind the shop...

Isn't "nurturing the youth" Gordon Young's job?

Aye, of course. But you want someone on your management team who can bring them through in the right way. Who'll know when they'll burn out, when they're getting too big for their boots, when they're ready for week in week out action.

Not someone like Gannon who'll drop Meechan into a game against Celtic and damage his confidence.

And I mean no slight on Steven Meechan there, just the way that was dealt with...

Aye, of course. But you want someone on your management team who can bring them through in the right way. Who'll know when they'll burn out, when they're getting too big for their boots, when they're ready for week in week out action.

Not someone like Gannon who'll drop Meechan into a game against Celtic and damage his confidence.

And I mean no slight on Steven Meechan there, just the way that was dealt with...

True, but I'm not sure how much input Brown/Knox had with regards to our youth player's football (pretty sure they will train together) and who we did or didn't sign. Very little I'd imagine. All of that will be done by Young and Jenks. From there you will get recommendations made to the gaffer about who is ready to step up etc. The gaffer should be concentrating on bringing in his own experienced new faces to the club.

That move can be taken in various ways though, for example some might get a massive kick in confidence that a manager has shown faith in his ability to pick him to play against Celtic. It also could give the lad the taste of 1st team action and encourage him to work harder to press onwards.

Then someone else comes in(Broon in this case) and sends him packing to the Albion Rovers and a) knocks his confidence about dropping him out of the 1st team window and b) depending on the player's attitude, knock his interest in football in general.

So did Gannon or Brown actually knock his confidence??? Only Meechan can tell us that.

That move can be taken in various ways though, for example some might get a massive kick in confidence that a manager has shown faith in his ability to pick him to play against Celtic. It also could give the lad the taste of 1st team action and encourage him to work harder to press onwards.

Then someone else comes in(Broon in this case) and sends him packing to the Albion Rovers and a) knocks his confidence about dropping him out of the 1st team window and b) depending on the player's attitude, knock his interest in football in general.

So did Gannon or Brown actually knock his confidence??? Only Meechan can tell us that.

I would give you that if he'd featured in a couple of sub appearances but to play the guy in a televised game for his debut when there were other more experienced players available struck me at the time as Gannon simply making a point.

Brown has been slated here by the Gannonistas for his treatment of our young players. Hutchison and Forbes are the only two I can think of who have gone backwards under Brown. Hutchison has had injury problems which leaves us Forbes, an enigma of a footballer. Can look like he should be playing in La Liga or can look like he should be playing in the Sunday Leagues. Saunders featured regularly under Brown (Brown was constantly talking him up). And Jamie Murphy. My own opinion is that Jamie Murphy has only started looking like a proper first team footballer since Brown arrived. Guys like McHugh and Pollock, for me, haven't shown enough in their brief cameos to be slating Brown for not using them...

As I said, Gordon Young can take care of them when they play for the U19s, but we need either an assistant or a manager who can look at a young player and tell whether they have the ability and the temperament yet to make the step up...

Recently discussed on Sportsound.

"Motherwell are reportedly very close to finalising the contract of the new manager and making an announcement and he should be in place for Boxing Day" was pretty much the chat.

Chick Young came back with "I don't know who it is". Neither does Craig Paterson.....a man with more than a few pals at the club.

Amazing really.

Fenlon, McCall, and Calderwood were the only names mentioned on air. Means nothing though when journalists making a living from covering Scottish football don't have a clue who the new man is 24 (or so) hours before the announcement for a job that has been vacant for two weeks.

Do you reckon they've been sneeking applicants into the POD as if they were on the way to the Old Bailey with a blanket?

Don't think I've ever seen this level of secrecy over any footballing appointment in recent years.

Could it not just be the case that the journo don't really give a flying santa about whats going on and their lack of effort results in a lack of info. Lets face it wee Chick Young is not going to have been busting a gut to find out over these last few days. Just does not sell papers in the same way as a cheeky wee article about Walter Smiths last fart would.

Could it not just be the case that the journo don't really give a flying santa about whats going on and their lack of effort results in a lack of info. Lets face it wee Chick Young is not going to have been busting a gut to find out over these last few days. Just does not sell papers in the same way as a cheeky wee article about Walter Smiths last fart would.

Good point well made. That wee furret obviously loves his daily complimentary roll n' sausage up at Murray Park.

Recently discussed on Sportsound.

"Motherwell are reportedly very close to finalising the contract of the new manager and making an announcement and he should be in place for Boxing Day" was pretty much the chat.

Chick Young came back with "I don't know who it is". Neither does Craig Paterson.....a man with more than a few pals at the club.

Amazing really.

Fenlon, McCall, and Calderwood were the only names mentioned on air. Means nothing though when journalists making a living from covering Scottish football don't have a clue who the new man is 24 (or so) hours before the announcement for a job that has been vacant for two weeks.

As long as it's a real contract and no a bogus 18 month contract like Broon and Knox.