389 members have voted

1. 1. Would you rather...

• Mark McGhee
    • Scott Leitch
    • John Hughes
    • John Collins
    • Jimmy Calderwood
    • Jim Gannon
    • Luc Niholt (aw, come on, I had tae...)
    • Tommy McLean
    • Derek McInnes
    • Stephen Craigan
    • Somebody else.. Goan tell us...

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thing that struck me today is that although some of us moaned about the alleged state of the club the previous guy left us in I figure we are in a far worse state this time round / at this point in time.

The current 1st XI need rubbed oot and drawn back in again.

Our young guys and fringe players have had next to zero game time under Broon and continues under Young.

We haven't sold a player since Clarky & Quinn

We don't really look like we're about to sell a player

We have zero compensation from our management team this time round

So squad wise / new talent wise & financially - we are a fair bit less appealling than we were this time last year

Spot on. Incidently is it not a year ago tomorrow that Jimbo left the club. That was the big thing for me, Jim Gannon gave us something to buy into and to dream about. For the first time in a long time under Gannon I felt that we were moving forward and that the future was bright. It did not work out ultimately but I never at any time in Craig Browns reign felt that he was building something for the future. The football was never hugely inspiring either.

Somebody mentioned the new man dealing with Craigan. That will be interesting. If he goes down the Craig Brown route of praising him to the hilt etc we may get another indian summer out of our Captain. If he gets dropped from the team it will be interesting this time round to see if we start to get stories of unrest in the dressing room shortly after.

This guy McDonald meets the criteria of English league experience, unemployed, good network of contacts, and none of us could id him in an identity parade of one.

Who would have thought Big Sam getting the sack could have been the catalyst for us getting our own man after all.

Spot on. Incidently is it not a year ago tomorrow that Jimbo left the club. That was the big thing for me, Jim Gannon gave us something to buy into and to dream about. For the first time in a long time under Gannon I felt that we were moving forward and that the future was bright. It did not work out ultimately but I never at any time in Craig Browns reign felt that he was building something for the future. The football was never hugely inspiring either.

Somebody mentioned the new man dealing with Craigan. That will be interesting. If he goes down the Craig Brown route of praising him to the hilt etc we may get another indian summer out of our Captain. If he gets dropped from the team it will be interesting this time round to see if we start to get stories of unrest in the dressing room shortly after.

Like Steve's post......spot on.

When Sam Allardyce was ousted Neil McDonald was the man that he said should take over the job and not Steve Kean, not a bad reference in my book.

Dont think his Blackburn connection will help with retaining Blackman on a loan deal, considering the way they were booted out so would,nt think their relationship would be very amicable.

I am sure it was also mentioned some where that it was Steve Kean that Mr Brown dealt with in Getting Blackman initially.

Thing that struck me today is that although some of us moaned about the alleged state of the club the previous guy left us in I figure we are in a far worse state this time round / at this point in time.

The current 1st XI need rubbed oot and drawn back in again.

Our young guys and fringe players have had next to zero game time under Broon and continues under Young.

We haven't sold a player since Clarky & Quinn

We don't really look like we're about to sell a player

We have zero compensation from our management team this time round

So squad wise / new talent wise & financially - we are a fair bit less appealling than we were this time last year

The big difference being we were heading down the league BECAUSE of the manager in the first instance and in the second instance we are heading down the league because the manager has LEFT.

First point is rubbish - we have been Top Six virtually all season and are in a semi final. That doesn't happen if the 1st XI needs rubbed out. We have a decent core to the team which if harnessed properly should be good enough to finish in the Top Six.

Young guys myth pops up again and has no basis. Saunders, Hateley, Murphy, Blackman and Humphrey played virtually every week. That's 5 U21's in the starting line up. How many do you want? Guys like Jonny Page and Bob McHugh have got just as much game time under Brown than they did under Gannon. Ross Forbes has been a regular sub but doesn't really fit into Brown's system which explains why he has been left out.

We haven't sold a player since Clarkson/Quinn but who has? Name me the list of players sold from provincial SPL clubs in the last year? No one is buying.

The McGhee compensation was an exception rather than a rule. I can't remember us as a club ever being paid sizeable compensation for losing a manager before. In fact usually we had to pay to get rid of them!

Ex-Blackburn No2 Neil McDonald linked with vacant Motherwell hotseat

That will do thank you very much. Now get the man in and lets get on with it. Oh aye n keep Blackman as well :thumbup:

Hope he takes it as he is actually quite well known and respected down here and it would be a bit of a coup for JB if he pulls this one off. Have a good mate who is a QPR fan and many of them wanted him in the hotseat when they were going through managers every few months but the owners wanted a "name". His connections would also be useful, especially when big Sam gets his next job and wants to put a few players out on loan!!

After he watched yesterdays shambles though - would he even want it!!

Spot on.....GANNON GETS MY VOTE.

Gannon came to the club and he changed things, regardless on how long a player had served at the club, he brought the youngsters through and gave them a chance, the only downside for him was he dropped Craggs and did not rate Lasley... so neither of them played, and to be honest we done ok, but without those keys players onside they spread discontent amongst the players and the backroom staff... untimately leading to his demise... if given the cheque book i would be signing him no questions asked... thats of course if he signed the contract. That would signal the end for Craggs and Lasley.... but the doors would open for the young talent that should be playing week in week out. Playing safe with team selection is causing us to faulter,Brown and Archy got away with it... but they knew it wouldnt last hence there financial departure.

Dave Penney is another name being linked to the job. Certainly like the cut of McDonald's jib right enough.

The following is from the BBC site;

The likes of former Hibernian manager John Hughes and ex-St Mirren boss Gus MacPherson are almost certainly out of the running because of Motherwell's criteria for the job.

Not that we didn't know this but always good to see.

Sam Allardyce’s former assistant at Bolton and Blackburn Rovers is in the running to take over as Motherwell boss.

Neil McDonald watched the Fir Park club’s 4-1 defeat by SPL champions Rangers yesterday and is believed to be favourite to take over.

McDonald has a wealth of coaching experience in England and further afield, and his contacts down south are believed to have impressed Well chiefs.

The Englishman has edged ahead of John Hughes, Stuart McCall and Chris Sutton in the running to take over at the Lanarkshire club and could be in place for the Celtic game at Parkhead on Wednesday night.

Senior officials at Fir Park are continuing to interview candidates for the vacant post after former Sunderland boss Ricky Sbragia turned them down.

Vice-chairman Derek Weir said: “We’re trying to get someone in as soon as possible. The snow and holidays has slowed us down a bit.

“We set ourselves a target for having someone in before today, but haven’t managed that.

“But, if everything works out well, we’ll have someone in place for the next game, which is on Wednesday. It’s the first time I’ve worked part of Christmas Day to try and get something done.

“There are three things we are looking for. We want someone who is well-known in the lower leagues of England because that has worked well for us in the past in terms of finding players we can afford.

“People who have a network in terms of bringing in loan signings, which again has worked well for us.

“And then people with experience, either in the Scottish or English game. There are a lot of people out there who have all of that, now we have to narrow it down.”

Caretaker boss Gordon Young is also hoping his Fir Park players have a new gaffer in place for their SPL clash with Celtic.

Young believes the delay in appointing a successor to Craig Brown has proved unsettling for the team thrashed at home by rampant Rangers yesterday.

He said: “The club has been very thorough during the period they have been without a manager.

“They were speaking to more candidates yesterday. I know they are not rushing in. They are taking their time to get it right.

“But I do feel sorry for the players. They have done particularly well all season and there is no reason why they can’t bounce back from the defeats we’ve suffered.

“The minute they get somebody else in I am sure they will perform to the high standards they have been all season.

“It’s been unsettling for the players. In life, people like to be reassured. Football is no different.”

Whoever we bring in, I hope they quickly clock on to the fact that Craigan is not captain material.

Once again in a time of adversity, he has failed to pull the team together and inspire the kids around him. As much he is a trier and a solid pro, the guy is neither a winner or a leader.

Why is Craigan Not Captain Material? Last time I checked, He took up a responsibility he didn't want for the team and is By far the most experienced player we have and one of the most experienced in the SPL!

Neil McDonald was sacked by Carlisle in very strange circumstances, he led Carlisle to a very respectable 8th place in their first season in League 1 then was sacked one game into the new season, the statement released at the time citing that the chairman had "Lost confidence" in him. Towards the end of his tenure he signed among others, Joe Garner who was sold on a year later for £1m. Certainly seems to have an eye for a good player.

Neil McDonald was sacked by Carlisle in very strange circumstances, he led Carlisle to a very respectable 8th place in their first season in League 1 then was sacked one game into the new season, the statement released at the time citing that the chairman had "Lost confidence" in him. Towards the end of his tenure he signed among others, Joe Garner who was sold on a year later for £1m. Certainly seems to have an eye for a good player.

Would certainly like to hear more about this. Has a familiar sound to it.

Jesus I really hope that isn't true :P

Beginning to think that the job appears attractive to the untrained eye however on closer inspection our English targets believe the risk to their reputation is too great. A team already sitting in a position that could be considered a success, albeit on a wee slide, with no money to invest next month or in the summer. After the last 3 seasons the new man wouldn't do himself any favours if we finished 8th. A top five finish would need to be achieved in order to get himself noticed. The irony here might be if we were in Aberdeen's position we may have made an appointment by now.

Step up Dave Penney?

This is now turning into a farce. If true, then two preferred candidates identified have now opted out.

Again I re-iterate why are they pissing about with unknown and unproven people when we already have Scottish candidates (like or loathe them) who would fit the bill and take the job if offered.

The apparent pre-conditions stated by the club are IMO just utter nonsense and if true and persisted with would continue the trend of managers coming for one or two seasons and then leaving. That is no way to run any business. You must try and achieve continuity but this is something that has been sadly lacking during this chairman's tenure.

Alas in the current financial climate there is absolutely no prospect of getting a new chairman.