389 members have voted

1. 1. Would you rather...

• Mark McGhee
    • Scott Leitch
    • John Hughes
    • John Collins
    • Jimmy Calderwood
    • Jim Gannon
    • Luc Niholt (aw, come on, I had tae...)
    • Tommy McLean
    • Derek McInnes
    • Stephen Craigan
    • Somebody else.. Goan tell us...

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I noticed the criteria of Lower League England and Loan deal experience. Coke, Jennings, Humphrey and Juke, Ruddy, Blackman, Randolph have all proved that that is our market.

However, the new man has to be able to blend and coach a team and get the best from them tactically week-in week-out.

Perhaps we need 2 Men :whistling:

I'm still going with Dickov, think he meets a lot of the required tick-boxes;

Working with a small budget

Working with a young squad - topped up with loan signings

Working with a club currently "punching above it's weight". Oldham have average crowds of around 4500 like us.

Only on a 12 month contract, so less than 9 months remaining.

Very good links with various clubs (2 of which are top 4 in the Premiership),

Exceptional close ties with Manchester City, who have a highly regarded youth set-up for tapping us into.

Should have a good understanding of the Scottish game, possibly even a local lad, is he from Bellshill or i'm I thinking about Dougie Freedman????

Something a little bit different from the usual mob

Ok he's only in his first season of management but proving to be coping well.

I'm trying to locate a recent video about him from the Man City website but cannae find the link any longer, seemed like a decent chap going in the right direction.

PS....Randolph would love Dickov's club trips to La Manga :whistling:

Punching above our weight? In League One? A league we've been in for like 12 years, I'd say we're right where we should be.

I'll tell you this though, our attendances at home this season have been mainly just under 4,000 and just a couple of season ago we were gettin 6,000+. But expect your attendances to plummet if you hire that clown Dave Penney like the BBC is reporting, he's the master of boring, uninspiring, negative football. So if Penney really is in the frame, be very aware, apart from his dire football, his signings were generally piss poor and he didn't inspire any sort of enthusiasm and drive amongst the players and fans, like Dickov has done.

Plan B will be Tommy McLean or Jimmy Calderwood to the end of the season.

Wee Tommy back.......................

Basic Wages = £300 a week with a win bonus of say £1000? or whatever

half the bonus for a draw so £300 + £500

Basic for no points.

And fight for every ball on the park old school. I'd like to see how some of our players would react to that. Good shout Lobey get the wee man back coz this is doing my head in :whistling:

Wee Tommy back.......................

Basic Wages = £300 a week with a win bonus of say £1000? or whatever

half the bonus for a draw so £300 + £500

Basic for no points.

And fight for every ball on the park old school. I'd like to see how some of our players would react to that. Good shout Lobey get the wee man back cuz this is doing my head in :noteworthy:

+1 anyone knows about working with nothing its the wee man ,if boring Broon can be brought out of mothballs then so can Tommy.

Tommy had a lot more money to spend back then than he'd be given this time around.

Not too sure about that weeyin but he can work on a budget thats for sure! The point I was getting at was how gutless we were against Rang*^s and that he would fire the boys up for now. I also think players have too much power now and maybe the old skool way of doing it and training them might put a back bone into our now so soft team.

:whistling:

As much as I respect your train of thought, this can't happen. I too thought Gannon was a good student of the game, and forged a development plan for Motherwell. But knowledge is only one aspect of football management; another is man management. Alas there is too much evidence around to indicate the man is an arse hole.

I've never heard any such evidence. History's been rewritten and the man was demonised.

Still never seen evidence or details of all these interviews he was having either (even though a few of us have asked on countless occassions)

One mans 'poor man management' is another mans 'being undermined by the disaffected senior players'

I'll say it again our club didn't have the ball to match Gannon's ambition. after a few bad results we shat it and backed Craigan and co. The contract situation was a convenient smoke screen.

This could be one of the biggest fundamental mistakes in the recent history of the club.

Of course I know he won't come back - it's just funny to see how we've disintegrated due to the failure to take any cognicence of our long term footballing plan under the messiah Brown.

i say messiah because that's what most thought. Even though a few of us said many times that the foundations were being allowed to crumble with the obsession with getting points short term,

We reap what we sow.

Saturday summed up much much more about us than anything. Rangers players contested every ball and decision 500% stronger than us, Their arsehole support defiantly stood and urged their team on for the full 90 mins.

As a club we sat on our arse in the stands (or more commonly - in the pub / house) and watch as they fuckin steamrollered us in a display of determination and solidarity

Fuckin sickening

We will struggle this time round to bring anyone in - we've little in the way of sellable assets (thanks Paul Slane etc) and we haven't sold anyone since Clarky and Quinn. Old Mother Hubbard Boyle's cupboard is bare. Most managers would run a mile

Saturday summed up much much more about us than anything. Rangers players contested every ball and decision 500% stronger than us, Their arsehole support defiantly stood and urged their team on for the full 90 mins.

As a club we sat on our arse in the stands (or more commonly - in the pub / house) and watch as they fuckin steamrollered us in a display of determination and solidarity

Fuckin sickening

Sad but true. :whistling:

I've never heard any such evidence. History's been rewritten and the man was demonised.

Still never seen evidence or details of all these interviews he was having either (even though a few of us have asked on countless occassions)

One mans 'poor man management' is another mans 'being undermined by the disaffected senior players'

I'll say it again our club didn't have the ball to match Gannon's ambition. after a few bad results we shat it and backed Craigan and co. The contract situation was a convenient smoke screen.

This could be one of the biggest fundamental mistakes in the recent history of the club.

Of course I know he won't come back - it's just funny to see how we've disintegrated due to the failure to take any cognicence of our long term footballing plan under the messiah Brown.

i say messiah because that's what most thought. Even though a few of us said many times that the foundations were being allowed to crumble with the obsession with getting points short term,

We reap what we sow.

Fuckin sickening

We will struggle this time round to bring anyone in - we've little in the way of sellable assets (thanks Paul Slane etc) and we haven't sold anyone since Clarky and Quinn. Old Mother Hubbard Boyle's cupboard is bare. Most managers would run a mile

You good at the revisionism yourself, exactly what do you base your faith in Gannon on? A few mouthy statements from Gannon and not a whole lot else.

Barring the general lack of home support and money we are in better shape now than when Gannon walked out. Still fairly perilous but turn aroundable.

Any issues over youth development should be laid at Youngs door not Broons!

Going by past results Gordon Young has done a good job with our youth development. We now need a manager who can take them on to the next level. Gannon briefly showed with his youthful team selections he would attempt to do just that. When it comes to players, I think Craig Brown probably prefers to go down the more experienced route.

You good at the revisionism yourself, exactly what do you base your faith in Gannon on? A few mouthy statements from Gannon and not a whole lot else.

Barring the general lack of home support and money we are in better shape now than when Gannon walked out. Still fairly perilous but turn aroundable.

-A team that were trying to play the ball on the ground from the back forward.

-The young players Forbes, Saunders, Hutchison, Murphy showing promise and in some cases having the best spells of their careers to date

-some really strong signings tha has seen us through 2010 (do you remember the summer 0f 09).

- A reasonably strong league position that but for a poor December would have been much stronger (pretty much exactly where we are now)

- A vision of how teams like Motherwell should move forward in the future

- A team riding top of the fair play league.

Apart from that, you are right, not a whole lot else. How are we in a stronger position now btw?

Going by past results Gordon Young has done a good job with our youth development. We now need a manager who can take them on to the next level. Gannon briefly showed with his youthful team selections he would attempt to do just that. When it comes to players, I think Craig Brown probably prefers to go down the more experienced route.

Which is why they will be fine inthe short term but back to being a mess again in two years or so. Unless of course Fyvie turns out to be a world beater.

Anyway, back at the ranch. Penney now out the running? Who is the preferred candidate now? McCall?

-A team that were trying to play the ball on the ground from the back forward.

-The young players Forbes, Saunders, Hutchison, Murphy showing promise and in some cases having the best spells of their careers to date

-some really strong signings tha has seen us through 2010 (do you remember the summer 0f 09).

- A reasonably strong league position that but for a poor December would have been much stronger (pretty much exactly where we are now)

- A vision of how teams like Motherwell should move forward in the future

- A team riding top of the fair play league.

Apart from that, you are right, not a whole lot else. How are we in a stronger position now btw?

Fair point well made Star Sail. Also liked Gannon and I know older players and some of the staff didn't get on with him but I still say he was good for the club in the way of giving young players a chance. He will never be back so end of, which is unfortunate but on wards and upwards.

Back the new guy to the hilt, we need something to get the fans back, we need to have a go at teams and maybe with a bit of flair :thumbup: . The club need to get this right or our fan base will just keep getting smaller.

MON THE WELL