389 members have voted

1. 1. Would you rather...

• Mark McGhee
    • Scott Leitch
    • John Hughes
    • John Collins
    • Jimmy Calderwood
    • Jim Gannon
    • Luc Niholt (aw, come on, I had tae...)
    • Tommy McLean
    • Derek McInnes
    • Stephen Craigan
    • Somebody else.. Goan tell us...

I'd doubt it, he's fairly settled down south, I'm sure, no disrespect, he's looking for a bigger club, Championship at worst.

Quick reminder, it's in the Sun. :whistling: They throw a bunch of names into a hat and make up "someone close" said he'd be interested.

This is the paper which said we were already in talks with Chisholm and Dodds.............

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How come we are all outraged by Craig Browns antics and yet we are happy with the thought of Butcher bailing out on ICT. Even a thread on here saying that Butcher has already indicated that he would come. The Double Standards of football fans is staggering at times.

How is it remotely a case of double standards?

The reason people are outraged with Craig Brown isn't because he left Motherwell for Aberdeen, it's the whole bullshit he was feeding us, the players and the club after he rejected the move the first time, obviously knowing all a long that he was still up for moving.

If Butcher was to come out on Monday saying he had no interest in leaving ICT for Motherwell, didn't want to uproot his family, was perfectly happy etc etc, and then moved to Motherwell on the Tuesday, then you'd have a point. But until that happens, I don't see how the two can be comparable.

I don't have a problem with clubs taking managers from other clubs, assuming they go about it properly and pay compensation. That's how football works.

That said, I don't want Butcher back and I doubt very much if he'll be back at Fir Park in the near future. Compensation aside, I genuinely believe Boyle takes a lot of pride in the managers he brings to the club, thinking outside the box and picking very capable managers no one had really thought of. The very fact that Butcher is linked with the job from an early stage says to me that he wouldn't be Boyle's idea of a good candidate.

The way it is put here, Youngie and Craigan would certainly have the club's interests at heart.

Craigan was unbelievably cagey when he was asked if he would consider becoming the assistant to the new boss. My guess is this either means he wouldn't want to do it in a million years, or he already knows something-- maybe he's even been earmarked by Boyle to do a Leitch-esque "work with whoever comes in". (But given that he never wanted to be captain, either, I'd be more inclined to think the former.)

Craigan was unbelievably cagey when he was asked if he would consider becoming the assistant to the new boss. My guess is this either means he wouldn't want to do it in a million years, or he already knows something-- maybe he's even been earmarked by Boyle to do a Leitch-esque "work with whoever comes in". (But given that he never wanted to be captain, either, I'd be more inclined to think the former.)

My view on what he said was that knowing most managers like to bring in their own no2, rather than say something that might upset any new boss, he simply side stepped the question, leaving the door open for him to become no2 if the new boss wanted him/was happy to have him if Boyle has this in mind.

How is it remotely a case of double standards?

The reason people are outraged with Craig Brown isn't because he left Motherwell for Aberdeen, it's the whole bullshit he was feeding us, the players and the club after he rejected the move the first time, obviously knowing all a long that he was still up for moving.

If Butcher was to come out on Monday saying he had no interest in leaving ICT for Motherwell, didn't want to uproot his family, was perfectly happy etc etc, and then moved to Motherwell on the Tuesday, then you'd have a point. But until that happens, I don't see how the two can be comparable.

I don't have a problem with clubs taking managers from other clubs, assuming they go about it properly and pay compensation. That's how football works.

That said, I don't want Butcher back and I doubt very much if he'll be back at Fir Park in the near future. Compensation aside, I genuinely believe Boyle takes a lot of pride in the managers he brings to the club, thinking outside the box and picking very capable managers no one had really thought of. The very fact that Butcher is linked with the job from an early stage says to me that he wouldn't be Boyle's idea of a good candidate.

It would not have mattered how Craig Brown left, the reaction would have been the same. If he had gone at the first time of asking I do not believe that these boards would have been full of positive comments about the wee man wishing him well.

Were Butcher to do what the old boy did, then I am sure that there would be little in the way of outrage from Well fans about the way in which he went about things. In fact he would be getting commended on his commitment to the Well etc, etc. Football fans have an ability to be very selective when it comes to taking the moral high ground.

I agree with you about the last bit, would not want Butcher back.

Problem is we don't have an assistant manager to take over while we search for a new boss, so it's left to Young and can't be the easiest situation for him to be in.

We need to get this sorted out asap. Hopefully the weather turns really bad and the next couple of games are off meaning we can get our new management team in before we've even had to kick a ball.

Don't know if he's been mentioned yet, just back from a few days away and can't be arsed reading 15 pages on the subject.

The first name that came to my mind was to go for Mitchell Van Der Gaag.

He done a pretty good job at Maritimo, turning them from relegation strugglers into European qualifiers. He was sacked at the start of the season, but I think that was due to their European commitments meaning they got off to a slow start in the league. But I think I remember reading that the Maritimo fans wanted Mitch to stay and were not at all happy with the club's board/president for being far to hasty in getting shot if him.

not that keen on Calderwood. He's just another one off the conveyor belt of run of the mill scottish managers. It would appear mixu is doing a better job than him down at killie, and we all laughed at that appointment...

Bringing in Calderwood wont generate much excitement or even a freshness of possible new ideas and knowledge of players in obscure areas. Much like Gannon did. Dont know who the answer is, but lets just wait to see who apply's then we can pick holes in their cv.