389 members have voted

1. 1. Would you rather...

• Mark McGhee
    • Scott Leitch
    • John Hughes
    • John Collins
    • Jimmy Calderwood
    • Jim Gannon
    • Luc Niholt (aw, come on, I had tae...)
    • Tommy McLean
    • Derek McInnes
    • Stephen Craigan
    • Somebody else.. Goan tell us...

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even if he got them relegated big fucking deal. He took a job on and made mistakes. Hopefully he will learn form those mistakes. You seem pretty certain that he is going to fuck up because of a spell he had a club that you probably know nothing about in a league you probably know nothing about.

He deserves a chance at least ffs. Who were you expecting ?

Someone who can galvanise a team with very little.

Convinced this is a shite appointment. hope im proved wrong but..

Best of luck to him, he'll need it.

Can't say I'm overly inspired by this, Sbragia or the MacDonald guy would've, but to be honest I'm still smarting over Browns deparure/lies, and we are Motherwell with nae money so who were we expecting to appoint?!?!

If we beat Accies and get another win in the next 2 games that would be hugely important. Europe is gone, top 6 is going to be a big ask. Staying up, with some youngsters featuring more would be acceptable now in my opinion.

Hopefully he'll have the bottle to drop players who are playing shite regardless of who they are.

Its all ifs and buts.

He's obviously impessed in an interview.

There isn't a definite correlation betweeen managerial success down there (or elsewhere) and with up here.

Brown, Smith, Jeffries, Burley and Levein (even Strachan latterly) all had a pretty tough time down there but have done reasonably enough up here.

Alot of it is down to luck and circumstance.

Personally I don't care about his previous as long as McCall can glavanise the team and get the wins in.

There isn't a definite correlation between impressing in interviews and actually being able to do the job either. I'd rather we went with the track record and the CV rather than plumping for the sweetest talker.

McCall's record doesn't show any hint of an ability to galvanise or get the wins in. Brown's record in club management is actually pretty woeful, the only bright spot being his time with us and I would suggest that was more down to the fact that he already had the players in place when he got here. His ability to build a team from scratch has to be in question as the only time he made an attempt, Preston, he failed miserably. Smith had a horrible time at Everton purely because of a lack of resources and having his best players sold out from under him. Burley's first time in management in England saw him take Ipswich up as champions and finish a highly creditable fifth and qualifying for the UEFA Cup. Strachan's acheivement in getting Southampton to the FA Cup final and Europpean football is no mean feat either. As for Levein and Jeffries both went to England, to difficult jobs, Bradford were in freefall and Leicester had just been relegated, before they were ready. Levein seems to make a habit of that he's nowhere near ready for the Scotland job.

My heart hopes he can do it, my head doubts he can.

WELCOME STUART!!

Sorry had to shout above all the moaning on here. 100% behind the man and hope he gets us back to winning ways soon.

MON THE WELL <_>

Agree with that Well 73. Let's give the guy a bit of support and see how he does before we start moaning

I actually give up with some Motherwell fans. They think they know better than the people responsible for making the bloody decisions. I would rather trust Boyle and the rest of the board than some of the halfwits on here.

A bit unfair there mate, we are all entitled to an opinion. I dont doubt we'll all get behind him because we support the team regardless of who's at the helm, but the fact remains that this is a totally underwhelming appointment.

Why is this an underwhelming appointment, I think the common thread throughout this debate from everyone has been the lack of a favourite candidate, time will tell if this is the right guy but I agree with nethertonwellfan, the negativity about McCall is disappointing but everyone is entitled to an opinion

Why is this an underwhelming appointment, I think the common thread throughout this debate from everyone has been the lack of a favourite candidate, time will tell if this is the right guy but I agree with nethertonwellfan, the negativity about McCall is disappointing but everyone is entitled to an opinion

For me it's underwhelming because:

1) His record with Bradford is very average verging on poor. This talk of % wins does not apply for me because Bradford were a big team in a lower league where as for example Sunderland with Ricky Sbragia were a comparitably smaller team in possibly the toughest league in the world. Therefore 30% wins (just for example) at Sunderland is more impressive than 30% at Bradford.

2) I have never been impressed when hearing him talk about the game as a commentator/pundit. I would be surprising if he was an ideas man. He was on that train wreck of a show, the Friday night STV football show a few weeks back and had very little to contribute. That was before there was even a hint that he would be in the running for the Well job.

3) He does not (appear to) have the charisma required of a manager (more of a Malpas than a Butcher/ McGhee/ Gannon/ Brown).

Having said this given that the best Celtic can do is Lennon and it looks as if McCoist is going to be stepping into the Rangers job maybe this is a good as we could ever have hoped for. For me now the likes of Jimmy Calderwood seems like an impossible dream, and I would not believe that I would be saying that two weeks ago.

The people who are being positive are the ones who have it right and it is the best way to support the new man and the club but that some are struggling to be positive is fairly natural in this instance. As you say it is all about opinions. THe last time I felt so underwhelmed with a managerial appointment was Malpas and look how that turned out. Having said that I was really positive about Kampman and that was a disaster.

I agree the negativity is disappointing but, and lets be perfectly honest here, hardly surprising.

The thing is though we all will get behind him and wish him luck, it's just, well, he's crap.

Bit surprised on the length of contract. Bit of a gamble. Ideal if he is a success. Gubbed if he fails in the job. Managers are a lot harder to 'move on' than players. Glad we have an auld experienced heid in as number two. Might be missing something from the Scotland set up but what is the link between the two? Or is it as random as it seems?

I can,t disagree with your comment about McCall since I have not seen him on TV recently but McGhee and charisma, sorry not the same guy I know. I like the idea of Tommy Craig as number two, good coach with a decent background, the best we can do as fans is to get behind the team and a good turnout on Saturday will do the trick

Not impressed with this appointment. The two guys in front of McCall knocked it back, speaks volumes.

Not surprised they knocked it back when you consider

(a) Watched us get humped 4-1 could have been 9-1 by Rangers.

(b) No money for players

© Poorly paid squad of players, consisting of loan deals and youngsters.

(d) Poor support about 4000 hard core.

Interesting that McCall's name has never been mentioned for any other managers jobs and then Boyle takes him on.

But then if guys keep knocking it back you have to give it to someone.

What a bunch of utter torn faced c***s on this forum, I support Motherwell Football Club not individual players, managers, owners.

He has had the chance to do the square root of fuck all yet and some of the dicks on here want the guy out. If he is brave enought to pick up the batton of managing MFC then welcome aboard Stuart maybe he is doing us more of a favour that we are doing him. At lot of the arseholes on here have an elevated opinion of MFC and what is has to offer.

He, the current players, the players yet to come have my full support.

FFS get a grip.