389 members have voted

1. 1. Would you rather...

• Mark McGhee
    • Scott Leitch
    • John Hughes
    • John Collins
    • Jimmy Calderwood
    • Jim Gannon
    • Luc Niholt (aw, come on, I had tae...)
    • Tommy McLean
    • Derek McInnes
    • Stephen Craigan
    • Somebody else.. Goan tell us...

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

McCall is no ones first choice

If reports are to be believed then he isn't the boards first choice either, but he must have impressed them enough to be in the running.

IF it's him then FFS lets give him a chance, guy's on this board are having the fears already and he's not even been confirmed yet. He made mistakes at Bradford but like everyone else we all learn from our mistakes and hopefully he will have as well.

From reading through the Bradford thread I took it as this:

His heart was in the right place and what was in his head didn't always translate onto the pitch

Despite his up and down record, the majority of fans seem to still have a degree of affection for him

I hope he hooks Brown up at Pittrodrie.

From the BBC website detailing his Bradford exit. Compensation chat quite unique;

Bradford City boss Stuart McCall has resigned as manager of the mid-table League Two club.

McCall met with joint-chairman Julian Rhodes on Monday to discuss his future after Saturday's 1-0 home defeat by Bury left them 16th in the table.

"It has been very, very difficult. It's been a very emotional day," McCall told BBC Radio Leeds.

"The easy bit was meeting Julian to sort things out and then meeting the staff and players was hard."

The 45-year-old former Bantams midfielder took over at Valley Parade in May 2007 and threatened to leave at the end of last season after Bradford failed to make the play-offs.

Saturday's defeat by Bury was their sixth at home this season and left the Bantams 12 points outside the play-off places.

McCall added: "I had a meeting with all the players as a group and then individually and they are just disappointed with the way things have gone.

"But it's not about me now, it's about the club kicking on and moving up the league. It just hasn't worked out this season.

"Performances have been OK this season and we haven't got what we've deserved. But it's a results business and I haven't got enough results for this club."

A compensation package has been agreed between the two parties, but McCall has refused to claim the whole amount he is due in order to help the club's finances. Last summer he took a pay-cut to help out the club.

He said: "I'm hurting because it was a dream of mine to come back here and bring success. But that hasn't happened and it's not what I wanted. But least in a way I'm going away with pride and dignity intact.

"The support I have received from the fans has been unbelievable and I want to thank them for everything. I couldn't ask any more from them and they couldn't have given me anymore, but unfortunately I haven't been able to give them the results they deserved."

It is now reported on Skjy Sports that Penney has NEVER been in Scotland and NEVER been interviewed for the role. This despite many in the media claiming he was in consideration.

If it is McCall then whilst not entirely convinced, I hope he can do a Butcher and get us to a CIS final and keep us in the top 6.

I still think there is a twist yet :whistling:

I think the bit in bold highlighted by Finlay shows why he is still regarded well by the fans.

At least he is honourable, shows integrity and appears to have behaved like a true gent and fan of the club he managed.

For me that's good enough to be the next Well manager.

I hope by the end of January he causes a few to backtrack on here circa. 12 months ago after Brown was appointed.

is that a distant hope or you know something?

TBH from the beginning the club have kept their cards close to their chest so to speak, so the media has been feeding off scraps.

That said the McCall rumour seems to be gathering pace. In all honesty I don't know what to expect should he be appointed. That said we could have appointed either Sbragia or MacDonald and it could have ended in tears.

At least with McCall he is familiar with Scottish football, knows the English lower leagues and was a passionate player.

I agree that you shouldnt hire your friends.

But think about it, all this talk about Leitch talking to boyle and being liked to the job it makes sence if he brings someone up here like McCall or any managers from England that to have a Scottish number 2 would benefit the team. Someone who is a "motherwell boy" and who has strong connections to the players.

I hope it doesn't happen and he joins his best pal McGee on the dole but it would make sence