Bookies Investigate Red Card

Mic2904

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Never thought I'de agree with a celtic fan on P&B but one just posted this in Jenno's defence....

"He obviously didnt share information with his manager so what was to stop him getting subbed before 82 minutes. He could have got sent off in the first half if he wanted to by making an innocuous but bookable challenge and receiving a second yellow."

Good point. If you want to get sent off, do you really gamble that the manager will leave you on for 82 minutes??

To be fair, if I knew who was gonna get sent off in a game, the first thing I'd consider doing was placing bets in the home town of that player... simple covering your tracks.

I said last night, and maintain today that the ref was either bent or grossly incompetent, and he looks far more likely a suspect.

I hope for his own sake that the club are at this very moment drafting a statement on Jennings' behalf about the events. If he deserved to go, we need to know NOW that Jennings admits to saying something he shouldn't have, otherwise he needs to come out and say A. the ref is telling porkies, I never said anything overly offensive and B. this had absolutely nothing to do with me.

Everyone i've spoken to is immediately pointing the finger of blame at Jennings, and if he's innocent, it could ruin his career if not handled in the proper way. If he's guilty then he should be thrown on the scrapheap.

Either way, now's not the time for the club to start abandoning it's policy on clearer and more effective communication with fans. We've heard virtually nothing from them on the brown situation other than Mr Boyle's statement, I hope this doesn't turn out to be the same. I understand there are legal implications involved, but that doesn't stop the club from giving us some kind of update.

Silence speaks a thousand words.

they just said on radio scotland that the odds were 10/1 in game on a red card! i'd have took that after watching the first five minutes plus the knowledge that hearts average 10 red cards a season.

Offering those kind of odds on a Hearts game, the bookies deserve to have the pish ripped out them.

There are guys who make a living from gambling, those that try and those that are addicts. It is hardly surprising there was lots of interest from all over in a televised game with virtually nothing else on. Irregular betting can happen when you put up an irregular price. I would have had a score on a red card if I knew I could have got 10-1 (especially if it was after Jenno was booked)

The reaction of Jennings both on the park and in the dressing room clearly shows he was gutted and angry, he didn't look like a man content with the outcome. He had a bad game last night but I don't think he is involved in a betting ring unless you can get odds on how many backwards passes you can misplace.

To be fair, if I knew who was gonna get sent off in a game, the first thing I'd consider doing was placing bets in the home town of that player... simple covering your tracks.

I said last night, and maintain today that the ref was either bent or grossly incompetent, and he looks far more likely a suspect.

I hope for his own sake that the club are at this very moment drafting a statement on Jennings' behalf about the events. If he deserved to go, we need to know NOW that Jennings admits to saying something he shouldn't have, otherwise he needs to come out and say A. the ref is telling porkies, I never said anything overly offensive and B. this had absolutely nothing to do with me.

Everyone i've spoken to is immediately pointing the finger of blame at Jennings, and if he's innocent, it could ruin his career if not handled in the proper way. If he's guilty then he should be thrown on the scrapheap.

Either way, now's not the time for the club to start abandoning it's policy on clearer and more effective communication with fans. We've heard virtually nothing from them on the brown situation other than Mr Boyle's statement, I hope this doesn't turn out to be the same. I understand there are legal implications involved, but that doesn't stop the club from giving us some kind of update.

Silence speaks a thousand words.

i hope you're right gaag.

however the club have already said a few things:

"Motherwell had earlier announced that they will not be appealing against the red card shown to Jennings"

"Motherwell stated that he was sent packing for foul and abusive language and that the midfielder had apologised to O'Reilly and his team-mates after the match."

and to be fair I think they were fairly outspoken about the Brown mess.

in fact after their statement that brown was staying they might feel inclined to shut up.

Jennings has been harshly treated all season, the refs have defo got a disliking for him. Considering he got booked so early (for he-haw) then u don't need to b a genius to make that bet at those odds. There is no surprise the bets were in Liverpool as he has probably been telling all his mates this and the game was live on tv.

Plus the ref obviously has something against us, he was brutally bad, I think he is Craig brown's love child from one of his many floozies :unsure:

"Motherwell had earlier announced that they will not be appealing against the red card shown to Jennings"

"Motherwell stated that he was sent packing for foul and abusive language and that the midfielder had apologised to O'Reilly and his team-mates after the match."

Where you getting these quotes from deJaya? maych reports somewhere?

I've not seen anything from what has been getting pushed by MFC as the official sources, last thing on twitter is 82mins Jennings sent off and the offical site is well,....... 'poor' .......and when it is working I've not picked up on any statements

Regardless of this evenings events, last nights performance by the referee was a strange one. As someone interested in Motherwell and interested in football I was very interested to read the papers take on things this morning and could find next to nothing about the controversal moments in the game. I was not looking for a lets all feel sorry for Motherwell approach. Any sort of unbiased analysis on a very strange performance would have been welcome. There was next to nothing.

The media are not doing their job if they do not comment and analysis on key moments in an SPL game. It shows once again that unless the OF are involved the press are simply not interested.

That there has been a complete absence of coverage of what was a strange moment in a game of football, regardless of betting irregularities, shows that the Scottish Press have their eye well and truely off the ball when it comes to commenting on the game as a whole in this country. Another reason why I feel that, as others have mentioned the ba' is well and truely burst regarding the game in this country.

That this moment in the game could actually turn out to be of greater significance should be a source of embarrasment to a National Press who have let the incident completly pass them by because it did not involve either side of th Old Firm.

Where you getting these quotes from deJaya? maych reports somewhere?

I've not seen anything from what has been getting pushed by MFC as the official sources, last thing on twitter is 82mins Jennings sent off and the offical site is well,....... 'poor' .......and when it is working I've not picked up on any statements

sorry .. did mean to post the link ...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/t...ell/9291880.stm

i hope you're right gaag.

and to be fair I think they were fairly outspoken about the Brown mess.

in fact after their statement that brown was staying they might feel inclined to shut up.

I think we can appeal on Hypocritical grounds alone. Watch the replay and you can clearly make out O' Reilly mouthing 'Get tae fuck'! That, in my eyes, would immediately null and void a sending off and resulting ban for using 'Foul and Abusive' language on a football park!!!

Cheers, wondered, still no quotes in there, would be nice for the real, official, 'Motherwell' to publish what the fek is happening

nae bov ... thing is .. i don't think the club will [or can] say anything until they know some facts .. and SJ sayin "wizny me" is not a fact. what else can they find out right now?

if he's guilty the club are going to want to distance themselves as much as possible from him so i can't see them making any official statements of support anytime soon.

I'm only going by what I've read in this thread but am I right in saying that there were two bets (Liverpool and Manchester) and that they staked £500? If so, and based on the 10/1 that has been quoted here, then I don't see a problem. £500 is buttons to a professional gambler and if 10/1 really was on offer then it represents good value - Craigan, Jennings and Blackman were all on yellows and the referee had shown that he was an incompetent, impetuous buffoon. The new account aspect doesn't ring any alarm bells either - the Pro's are forever opening new accounts because bookies restrict the betting limits of successful accounts to the point that they're of no use to them.

If there's anything wrong here, it's that the bookie offered such a ridiculous price, not that people saw the value and took it.

Assuming that I've read the thread correctly.

The club don't need to say anything. The bookies know who placed the bet, because you need a credit card to place the bet. Bookies always try and weasel out of large bets, I know someone who tried placing bets of a couple of thousands on a dead cert man utd victory odds something 1 to 4. Yet they wouldn't exept the bet even though the odds were still being offered. Luckily, it was a draw LOL

Jennings has my backing !!