Attendences Again

Taff

Look at the link and you will See motherwell average attendances not so long ago were between 7000 to 8000. Where on earth have these people gone. Surely something has put them off coming to fir park. Thy cant all be dead. Arnt fan Base's supposed to grow and not shrink :huh:

http://european-football-statistics.co.uk/...hive/avesco.htm

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe these stats are for pre-Sky TV coverage of the OF away games when they tended to travel to away games in greater numbers than now. Time was FP was full when the OF came to town but we struggle to see the gate getting above 8 or 9 thousand now.

Personally I think the product is well over-priced for what we get and offers poor value for money when compared to other competing entertainment offerings.

Last night we couldn't break 3,500. Reason? Price, quality of offering and Sky TV coverage encouraged a lot of fans (Hearts too) to either sit at home and view or nip to the pub for a couple of beers and see the match FOC.

Look at the link and you will See motherwell average attendances not so long ago were between 7000 to 8000. Where on earth have these people gone. Surely something has put them off coming to fir park. Thy cant all be dead. Arnt fan Base's supposed to grow and not shrink :huh:

http://european-football-statistics.co.uk/...hive/avesco.htm

I think the single biggest factor in lower attendances is that fans don't travel away from home in any great numbers.

Celtic, Rangers, Aberdeen, Hibernian and Hearts used to all bring sizable traveling supports and over a season that bumped up our average attendance.

Even Old Firm games rarely go over 10,000 these days.

The demise of the traditional 3o'clock saturday kick off must have caused a drop in attendances, as i know myself i have missed a couple of Sunday/midweek games due to work commitments.There seems now to be a determination to show games on tv whatever the effect it has on crowds.

Was better in the olden days when we had Sportscene and Scotsport on a Saturday night and Sunday afternoon. That is when people wanted to go to the football and see the action live before their eyes. There is no doubt that satellite tv has fucked up our game, yes maybe they compensate us but it is not helping our game in any way. Any game that is live on TV is also available all over the internet and i know a couple of people that took advantage of this at the Hearts game. It is becoming a sad sate of affairs and in my opinion unless the satellite tv start giving us decent money that actually helps us buy players/pay wages then i can see our game dying on it's arse.

Price is the biggest factor although as someone mentioned earlier the fact games are getting changed to suit tv has got to have made an impact. I had a season ticket and had to give it up as the last year i had it i missed 5 games due to them being changed to days i worked. So thats near on £100 i spent on games i didnt see.

We used to get 10k at old firm games, and a fair few away fans from Hearts, Hibs and Aberdeen. Chances are the dip in home support isn't as dramatic as the change in away support. There's also the kick-off times, cost, dick head stewards, TV, and the fact that it's shite.

I remember the BIG crowds at FP...thats when we had a stadium that had terraces that was ash and barriers and the main stand was the only seated area...and the atmosphere was fantastic.

Down here the Gold Cost Utd has the worst crowd record in the A League and have done this for Sundays game.

http://www.steelmenonline.co.uk/forums/ind...;f=5&t=9046

The SPL should be 16 teams...AND go back to Saturday 3 O'Clock KO's...mid week cup games...TV games 1 Live and edited highlights of others like we used to have on Scotsport and Sportscene...

Anyone remember how we'd check the late edition papers for the scores and league positions on the way home from home and away games?

Discussed the weekend actions at work on Monday?

Hated watching busloads of locals heading for the OF games?

Mates who were OF fans buying ye drink when Motherwell beat the Tims or h**s?

Anyone remember when it was Motherwell Football and Athletic Club? <_>

Me and my mates are having a sweep on when you will start a thread next!

Later on today probably as the wee ones are out for the day.

Do folk have a problem with new members getting involved?

I honestly think members could get more involved but some are a wee bit put off by a minority.

Not me, I like this forum. It gives me a chance to talk to fellow well fans and more.

Other forums encourage members to post and start new threads but a few comments on here have made me think there's some unwritten rule :lol:

Anyway i like this forum and i think my threads are constructive. i will continue to contribute <_>

I know i keep going on about it but its what i strongly believe. motherwell should get more involved in the town. They need to stake a claim to the town they represent. My mrs likes to ware her motherwell jackets scarfs etc and you should see the looks she get. She feels although shes a outsider wearing outsider colours. They need to do something.

Tickets are far to expensive. I spend £60 every home game after food and program.

They need to reduce ticket prices and get into the minds of the folk of lanarkshire.

Honestly some people only know its a game on when they see the lights on in midweek or the police cones out at weekends. Hard to believe i know but its true. The clubs to shy and quiet. They need to get in to peoples faces and offer cheaper tickets.

I know i keep going on about it but its what i strongly believe. motherwell should get more involved in the town. They need to stake a claim to the town they represent.

This is exactly what the club is doing. Leeann Dempster is very committed to this approach. Falkirk and Norwich City are pioneers in this respect.

This is exactly what the club is doing. Leeann Dempster is very committed to this approach. Falkirk and Norwich City are pioneers in this respect.

Iv seen no evidence of this pal. I live in the middle of motherwell and fir park is like a foreign country to most of the people around here. I really do hope Leeann is doing something and iv just not noticed. I love the club that much I'm more than happy to help in anyway i can to promote motherwell fc in the community and help put bums on seats.

I'm 100% sure I'm not the only fan willing to help out in my spare time. They are doing that family deal at the min but whats the point when most lanarkshire/motherwell folk don't know about it <_ not all motherwell fans go on messageboards or the website.>

Think of this. A guy is in a chippy somewhere on a wednesday night. his kids are showing interest in the ugly sisters. hes not happy and want to take them to fir park but the last time he was there it was to expensive. he looks at a poster advertising a motherwell game with great deals on family tickets. He takes his kids and there all hooked. Another man just gets off a train after watching rangers. his pissed off by the way the clubs being run and the h*n fans are doing his head in. Hes walking down Brandon parade and there's posters advertising motherwells next game with cheep tickets. He goes to the game and falls in love with the club. I could go on and on but you get the picture. Theres loads motherwell fc could do but it looks like they are content with what they got.

Begin Standard Rant.

It is overpriced and shite.

Been to Hertha Berlin v. Borussia Dortmund, Slavia Prague v. Panathanaikos, Brøndby v. Espanyol and other games in Europe, all for less than paying in at a home game (and a lot less than the average away).

Scottish football fans have been getting pulled along by the nose for years. I reckon TV money hasn't helped as it has only reinforced the dominant positions of already powerful clubs.

End of standard rant, time for cup of tea.

I would love to walk down our town centre and see pennants and flags flying from every lamp post advertising MFC. Claret and amber everywhere you look. Posters up in EVERY shop advertising the next game be it home or away.

However to do that the initial outlay would be hefty, which stops it dead in its tracks. I always wondered why we couldn't get out new sponsors to include this as part of their sponsorship agreement taking the cost away from the club.

I believe the town centre is owned by a company, so why not get them involved as well, With the amount of businessmen and women on our board I would like to think these type of avenues have been explored. What do we have to lose, someone saying no, fair enough, move on to the next idea.

No doubt we would have the old firm fans complaining and wanting their team to come in and do the same and NLC banning it due to complaints from old firm fans... :whistling:

I believe the town centre is owned by a company, so why not get them involved as well, With the amount of businessmen and women on our board I would like to think these type of avenues have been explored. What do we have to lose, someone saying no, fair enough, move on to the next idea.
Maybe we have...

Maybe they did

Maybe we are...

The product on show is utter dross :whistling:

I don't buy this.

In terms of Motherwell, the quality of player I don't think is that much worse, if at all than what it was say 10, 15 years ago.

For example, in goals we have Darren Randolph, back then we had Stevie Woods. Instead of Tom Hateley we had Kevin Christie. On the wing we wouldn't have had Chris Humphrey, or Jim O'Brien, we had Andy Roddie and Kevin Twaddle. Upfront it was Don Goodman instead of Jamie Murphy.

Obvious back then you had gems like Dougie Arnott, Tommy Coyne etc. But I don't thik the standard has dropped that much. We believe it has because we are constantly being told it has. The main problem, I think anyway, is that we see far too much foreign football ont he telly compared to before. Folk are sitting in their house watching Lionel Messi and Co. rip teams apart with cheeky flicks and score absolute screamers and expect that to be replicated. It's just not realistic. Back 15 odd years ago all we had was Fooball Italia on a Sunday, match of the day on Saturday night with a couple of english games, and that was that.

Like I said I honesty don't believe the standard of Scottish football is that bad compared to elsewhere. If you watch Championship matches on Sky, or even th premier league when say Blackpool play West Brom or Bolton meet Blackburn, the level of play dished up I'd argue isn't any higher than your average top six spl game. Put Hearts v Moterwell infront of 35,000 people with tv pundits waxing lyrical about it and you would be convinced it's a lot better than what it is.

I know i keep going on about it but its what i strongly believe. motherwell should get more involved in the town. They need to stake a claim to the town they represent. My mrs likes to ware her motherwell jackets scarfs etc and you should see the looks she get. She feels although shes a outsider wearing outsider colours. They need to do something.

Tickets are far to expensive. I spend £60 every home game after food and program.

They need to reduce ticket prices and get into the minds of the folk of lanarkshire.

Honestly some people only know its a game on when they see the lights on in midweek or the police cones out at weekends. Hard to believe i know but its true. The clubs to shy and quiet. They need to get in to peoples faces and offer cheaper tickets.

This is something different altogether and not something i have heard of before, have any other well fans had this experience?