Expectations For The Season

Spiderpig

Now that we have a new manager in place to hopefully stabilise the team, and maybe bring in a few loan signings in January, what do people think would be a good season for Motherwell ?

1. we still have a good chance of finishing 4th, and another possible Euro adventure.

2. A decent run in the Scottish cup, another semi-final at least would be nice.

3. McCall getting the team playing with a bit of committment and passion, something which has been lacking in recent weeks.

4. Keeping the core of the team we have now, and trying to get some of the young players, ie Forbes, McHugh, Hutchison, Page etc to realise some of the potential they have.

Any other thoughts ??

We've probably just about done enough to ensure we won't end up in the drop zone this season, but, if our current form continues it might be damned close. Probably lose to Dundee in the cup, miss Europe and finish 10th.

I think one of the minus points about a new manager coming in at this stage of the season is that it is extremely unlikely that there will be any new faces coming in during the January transfer window as the new manager will need to take time to assess the playing resources he has inherited and decide who he likes, dislikes etc.

We've probably just about done enough to ensure we won't end up in the drop zone this season, but, if our current form continues it might be damned close. Probably lose to Dundee in the cup, miss Europe and finish 10th.

I think one of the minus points about a new manager coming in at this stage of the season is that it is extremely unlikely that there will be any new faces coming in during the January transfer window as the new manager will need to take time to assess the playing resources he has inherited and decide who he likes, dislikes etc.

Hopefully he has already seen enough of Alan Gow.

Unfortunately we have more chance of finishing 11th than 4th. Top six would be a good result this year purely for the higher gate receipts after the split. Also if we finish bottom six does that mean we miss out on a home game again as the top six wasn't as expected?

It is one of life's mysteries how a team that walloped Hearts at Tynecastle a couple of months ago - it was 2-0 going on 5-0 look a pale shadow of that team.

I hate to harp on about it but Paw Broon has a lot to answer for. He has disrupted if not ruined our season by his traitorous actions. How else can you explain how Blackman and Humphrey etc have become woeful players almost overnight. I hear he even had a go at Tam Cowan for daring to suggest that he was somewhat a fiickwit by the way he left the club. He may be 71 - but :wallbash:;)

You need a big character to turn this around Does McCall have that - I certainly hope so. At this moment in time I reckon we will do well to finish top 6 and get past Dundee in the cup this weekend.

Lowest position since the Malpas season for me........but still think we will finish in 8th, above Hibs, St Johnstone, St Mirren, and Accies and won't be anywhere near getting relegated. League Cup Semi exit and we will get punted in the 5th Round of the Scottish Cup to an SPL side.

I'd probably say we're heading for 9th, but have some hope for 6/7th if the changes get made quickly enough

there is NO money left it seems, we've got a tiny first team squad and have been pretty lucky so far with dodging injuries and the likes, so 6th would be pretty good

Dundee Utd & probably Aberdeen will get a jump on us pretty soon, I dont reckon hibs can continue with Calderwood too much longer so might get act together from a decent squad, St johnstone could well match us on current performances so will creep up to us at least, and the shitey teams will get scraps from us if no one else

Happy New Year :wallbash:

I don't know what has gone wrong in the past few months, but the team seems to have lost any stomach it had for a fight. Stuart McCall is going to have to wield the big stick in the short term and possibly the surgeon's scalpel in the medium/long term. Certainly some fine tuning of formations and personnel might make some difference.