Time To Go On Strike

Amber_nectar

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

greed

The problem is that the money is not there to be greedy with. Idealistically 16 teams would be the way to go but most SPL clubs in Scotland will now be living week by week and simply will not be able to afford to go to a 16 team league. There is no doubt that the decision is based on Money but not for greed but simply for survival.

The notion that a 16 team league will bring the fans back is nonsense. Motherwell v (Dundee, QOS, Dunfermline, Ross County.......) is not suddenly going to bring the crowds back to FirPark and if anything one display of the type of pish that this type of game will no doubt serve up will push the fans away even more.

The only solution to the problems of the game in Scotland is to have an open SPL that could potentially be won by any of the participants in it. Notice that at the moment the top teams in the First Division are getting bigger crowds than Motherwell because there is the potential to win that division. They only way to do that is to get rid of the OF

What would the attendance be at FirPark if Motherwell were playing (Aberdeen, Hearts, Hibs, Dundee Utd,etc) to win the SPL. A capacity crowd is the answer or in other words a good 3-4000 more than a current Motherwell v Rangers/Celtic game.

Untill the OF go the problems will never disappear and the OF will never go so the game is fucked in this country. Has been for a long time. All we can do is feed of the dregs they give us and hope to survive, 10, 12 or 16 teams in a league. It is as depressing as that.

If the spl reverts to the ten team set up that's it, I'm out.

I have been thinking about this since the 10 team leagues were proposed if this goes through i will not be renewing my season ticket next season

The notion that a 16 team league will bring the fans back is nonsense. Motherwell v (Dundee, QOS, Dunfermline, Ross County.......) is not suddenly going to bring the crowds back to FirPark and if anything one display of the type of pish that this type of game will no doubt serve up will push the fans away even more.
Playing QoS or Dundee at home once per season might not bring fans back, but it's less likely to drive them away. I keep picking on St. Mirren, but I really don't want to fork out to watch that shower 2 (or possibly more) times a season at Fir Park. Plus, a bigger league makes it less likely you will be relegated and more likely teams can play with a bit less pressure on them.

The 10 team option is there for one reason only - make sure you play the OF 4 times a season.

I have been thinking about this since the 10 team leagues were proposed if this goes through i will not be renewing my season ticket next season

I'm nearly there in putting the money awayfor next seasons ticket mate. However I can see my guitar amp getting upgraded instead.

I can't believe these c***s can't see this is an OG

My preference would be to stick to 12 teams and have 2 relegation places + a play off for another relegation place and perhaps even europe.

Truth is a 10 team division means more money for those who remain in the SPL inc of course the old firm. Our attendance and gate money at Fir Park are not enough to sustain the quality of squad we have at the moment (open for debate right now). Money talks and that is why we will see a 10 team SPL.

What that will mean for Motherwell is anyones guess but the probability of relegation is more likely. TBH I am probably one of the very few that would prefer a 10 team SPL to a 16 or 18 team league. There are quite a few on here who are moaning about a smaller league, but would be nowhere near Fir Park in April when we are 13th and playing against Morton in 15th. There will be far more meaningless games in an expanded league and less TV money which = poorer Motherwell team IMHO

Tamy, brief explanation!

Scottish football has been in decline for some time now so the SFA commissioned former MP Henry McLeish to carry out an investigation. His report basically slaughtered everybody involved in the running of the game and stated unless there was major change the game would die.

The SPL in their wisdom have taken on board what was said in the report and decided that change IS required, however, instead of listening to the what the fans want (a bigger league with all teams playing each other only twice instead of 4 times as at present) they have proposed that we should go back to a ten team league which was abolished years ago because it didn't work.

The vote to make this a reality will happen very soon, but it looks a foregone conclusion to be passed if you believe what is in the papers, hence why everyone is very angry!

Hope that makes sense!

For what it's worth I think Rangers, Celtic and Sky are the driving forces as they want to hold on to the 4 Old Squirm games every year. Why the hell clubs the likes of ours think it's a good idea, I cannot fathom. We only get 9500 for OF games now so the increased attendance for 2 more games against them could easily be recouped in increased attendances for the other games if we only play each other once home and away and get rid of the familiarity that's killing our game and subsequently attendances.

A 16 team league with 2 up 2 down and the next 2 teams going into the playoffs is the way to go, add in McLeishs proposals on prices, facilities, winter break, summer start and I think we could go a long way to improving things. But hey, Im just a supporter!

Maybe what we need in the SPL is 2 leagues of 6 teams. Rangers in one league and Celtic in the other. The teams could play each other eight times ensuring 4 visits from an OF representative. Then, at the end of the season, regardless of who come out top of each section, Rangers and Celtic could have a 4 game play-off to decide the Champions.

To keep things fair, they could also alternate the OF between each of the leagues so you would get Celtic one year, Rangers the next.

I just wish someone had the balls to do something about this. We are pandering to Rangers and Celtic again. The more times you play Rangers and Celtic the less chance you have of winning the league. So reduce the number of times you have to play them. I wish managers outwith the old firm would stop this aim for top six shit. We want our teams to have a right go and win the league. Teams need to wake up. Teams down in Engerland are starting to have a right go at Man U and Chelsea and look at the results. People need to grow some balls in this country. Season tickets should be slashed in price next season. Kids in for nothing and every adult season ticket £200. 125 years of Motherwell this year. Come on Motherwell show some fecking balls. Can't really include Leeann Dempster in that last comment. :thumbup:

Game's a bogey.

I was scunnered enough with the absolute sh1te / cheating (delete as appropriate) referee's.

I was scunnered enough with the absolute sh1te quality of football that we are being served up.

I was scunnered enough with the high prices,

I was scunnered enough with the "sit there with your hands under your bum" stewarding.

etc.

etc.

etc.

this is the straw that has broken this cammel's back.

Flashback!!! we changed from a 10 team league to a 12 team league BECAUSE IT WASN'T WORKING!!!!!

if these feckin idiots force this through to a 10 team league again, then thats it for me. no more season book and no more "ach I'll just go to this one game...."

feck it.

:thumbup:

Ach well, I've enjoyed Scottish football since my first game against Falkirk in the '91 cup run, but I guess everything comes to an end.

As if being treated like a criminal for having a beer on a train, standing in a stadium, or taking a photo of a match wasn't bad enough - along with the absolutely shite and over-priced product we've got in this country - suddenly the Scottish football clubs, who exist and operate because of us, get together, completely ignore what the supporters want, and get their cooshty wee 10 team effort on the go.

Christ, playing dross like St Mirren three times a season was bad enough, now we're going to be guaranteed a fourth game (not to mention any cup draws)!? Blinding.

I don't buy this "I don't want to deprive Motherwell of money". Our club is just as guilty for this shite, if not more given MFC were apart of the 6-team group (I think?) that brought this idea to the table. I've appreciated Leeann Dempster coming on here and keeping us up to date with things. I hope she comes on here, reads this thread, and responds.

Away and shite. Game over.

Coupon and pub on a Saturday, cheers.

They keep stating they are dicussing CHANGING to a 10 team league :doh:

Is it just me, but I can't for the life of me see how this is change - it's reverting back to what has already been tried, AND FAILED :lol:

And to think that we've apparently jumped in to bed with the Bigots just beggars belief - I accept the financial reasons of keeping 4 home games with the Bigots, but these gates have been slowly decreasing, and it looks to me that many clubs are increasingly going to go through this scenario, so effectively, it's the fear of losing the TV money that has a big bearing on the decision to go to a top 10, and to keep the 4 Bigot games.

Said before that the Well will live with me till the day I die, but after 40 odd years of being passionate about seeing my team, I have to admit that a lot of the desire is starting to wear thin - can't help but feel a top 10 may just turn me in to an armchair fan through time.

As for the protest, don't think it's a bad idea, but would only really be taken on board if most Scottish club's fan base were willing to take the action collectively - it'd be a powerful voice, but can't see it happening.

MON RA DOSSERS

Tamy, brief explanation!

Scottish football has been in decline for some time now so the SFA commissioned former MP Henry McLeish to carry out an investigation. His report basically slaughtered everybody involved in the running of the game and stated unless there was major change the game would die.

The SPL in their wisdom have taken on board what was said in the report and decided that change IS required, however, instead of listening to the what the fans want (a bigger league with all teams playing each other only twice instead of 4 times as at present) they have proposed that we should go back to a ten team league which was abolished years ago because it didn't work.

The vote to make this a reality will happen very soon, but it looks a foregone conclusion to be passed if you believe what is in the papers, hence why everyone is very angry!

Hope that makes sense!

For what it's worth I think Rangers, Celtic and Sky are the driving forces as they want to hold on to the 4 Old Squirm games every year. Why the hell clubs the likes of ours think it's a good idea, I cannot fathom. We only get 9500 for OF games now so the increased attendance for 2 more games against them could easily be recouped in increased attendances for the other games if we only play each other once home and away and get rid of the familiarity that's killing our game and subsequently attendances.

A 16 team league with 2 up 2 down and the next 2 teams going into the playoffs is the way to go, add in McLeishs proposals on prices, facilities, winter break, summer start and I think we could go a long way to improving things. But hey, Im just a supporter!

Thank you. I understood the explanation.

I must admit that somehow I'm speechless. To me it seems as if the Scottish Football League declared only about the Old Firm. There are so many traditional clubs here with their loyal fans and they you just ignored their views. I realize that money plays a big role in football, but at what price?

Especially when I read that it had been a league with 10 teams and is not working .....

I get headaches when i thinking about this ....

I hope the Motherwell Board wake up and vote against this 10 team league. Stop thinking about the TV money and get our supporters back. You are destroying our club please stop it. It is our club and we don't want a ten team league so please vote against it.

Wasn't our club part of the six club group tasked with investigating the options and bringing the best idea to the table?

If so, I'd assume there's far more chance of our club trying to persuade others to vote for it. No chance we'll vote against it.

Shambles.

Sixteen team league, play each other twice, season starts in March and ends in November. There's yer dinner.

No repetitive shite and bigger crowds due to playing when we've got half decent weather. Should also apply right down to boys club level. Baffles me that we ask wee boys to attempt to play and train when our weather is at it's worst.

That's about the size of it. If this gets voted through I can see most of the gates at Fir Park dropping below the 3,000 mark.

The game's a bogey. :doh:

I would say 3000 is very optimistic to say the least. If and when they hammer the final nail in, you will be lucky to see 1500 at Fir Park for a League match and even that I fear, is again optimistic.

If the Club wants us to keep forking out, how about offering us a Season ticket for all non-OF league games for say £120. If people then want to go to the "OF Glamour games" that our wee diddy club so desires, then everyone will rush to the gate and pay the £20 odd entrance fee for the privilege surely?

............To me it seems as if the Scottish Football League declared only about the Old Firm. .................

Problem is Tamy, the Auld Firm hold all the cards. They each have more fans than the rest of the Clubs in Scotland put together and thus have the pulling power re:-sponsorship/advertising/TV rites, and the rest of us have actually agreed to give them 40% each from the income generated by deals with the aforementioned. That leaves the rest of us with 20% to split between us :doh: