Player Budget

wellfan83

In a similar vein I don't expect JB to keep putting his hand in his pocket, I certainly didn't welcome the news that he was helping to pay Porters wages.
I wasn't too bothered about the Porter deal as that was always going to end in pure profit for the club. Picked up him for free with the intention of selling him on for some decent cash, so the salary was a pretty shrewd investment.

In general, though, I agree that it's not a good situation to rely on the chairman's deep pockets.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We should be living within our means, and if that means we end up playing in the first division or going part time so be it. The important thing is that we have a club to support, not putting our future at risk for a top six finish.

Also, the fans already pay most of the player's wages, so I don't see the point in this idea.

We should be living within our means, and if that means we end up playing in the first division or going part time so be it. The important thing is that we have a club to support, not putting our future at risk for a top six finish.

Also, the fans already pay most of the player's wages, so I don't see the point in this idea.

Right now i think first division football would be good! :nod:

chance of winning something, not having to bother with the old firm, bumper crowds cause we have something to play for, bleeding youngsters offftttt bring on the challenge cup!

Not a chance in hell. Probably even every one of the under 19s earn more than I do and I'm not ploughing cash to line the pockets of someone who earns more than me! It's like a reverse Robin Hood! The day of the Hibs game, the opening day of the season, although not all of it went into the club, I spent £600 that day following Motherwell.

I maybe pick and choose the away games I go to, but I've been a season ticket holder since I was seven, so I think I plough enough money into the club. It's up to the club to have a budget that's within our means.

Ive been thinking about the small budget that the club has to work with in order to maintain a decent standard playing squad, and times are tougher now than ever. But I have been having a wee think, and came up with the following idea, as the description suggests, it might be a stupid idea!

Theres a good core of Motherwell fans who want to have the best interests of the club at heart, and bleed Claret and Amber. But I was wondering if theres enough of us to make a committment to the club. A committment to provide them with the funding towards a players wages. If enough of us committed to paying £ or £10 a month for the next year it could be the difference between gettina a new player or a loan addition in next Januarys transfer window.

500 fans paying £5 per month into an account equates to £2500 a month, by next year that could be £30000 to give the club to fund a decent players wages. The reason Im saying a year is we couldnt guarentee everyone could pay every month, so we would need to wait and see exactly how much was there.

Obviously this is just a vague idea, and the logistics would take some looking into, like setting up a bank account where the money can be safely held for this purpose, and a committment from the club that the money would fund a player etc.

Every little helps, and if it meant that 1 extra player could be funded, I'd be willing to pay £60 over the next year!

But was just curious if people might get behind this idea and if it was worth trying to look at the finer points and making some sort of proposal to put to the club?

I'd be happy to make a one off payment of £10 or even £20 into a transfer kitty if I knew all that money would be collected and used to buy a player.

However we simply do not have enough fans in general for that to raise enough money to buy a player, never mind enough fans willing to part with the cash.

Even if you got 2,000 fans to put in £20 you wouldn't be able to fund the sort of level of player most of the fans would be expecting.

Not a chance in hell. Probably even every one of the under 19s earn more than I do and I'm not ploughing cash to line the pockets of someone who earns more than me! It's like a reverse Robin Hood! The day of the Hibs game, the opening day of the season, although not all of it went into the club, I spent £600 that day following Motherwell.

I maybe pick and choose the away games I go to, but I've been a season ticket holder since I was seven, so I think I plough enough money into the club. It's up to the club to have a budget that's within our means.

Trust me you would be surprised at how little they are on.

Why don't we just add that extra £5 a month on top of a season ticket. Sure that would go down a treat.

The standard of the product is bad enough draining me of £290 never mind £340. As MJ says further up, we need to learn to operate within our means, not through Boyle personally funding one particular deal or not through some stupid scheme where the fans who already pay over the odds have to dip in to their pockets even more.

Imagine your monthly fiver had been on Gow or Casagolda's wages?

What about 125 year celebration grand prize draw. Buy a ticket for £30 and you could win a car. Tickets only available when you entry fir park for a game. 3000 tickets sold = £90000 raised, minus £15000 for the car and minus the money for printing the tickets. You are talking in the region of £70000 raised for the club to go towards stadium repairs or youth developement. Who would part with £30 quid to win a car? Sell tickets to Well fans attending games from the start of the season to X-mas time. Giving fans a good chance to attend a game and purchase a ticket. Over a six month period you could find people buying more than one ticket. I don't have loads of money but I reckon I could find £30 quid and with a chance to win a car thrown in I am sure I could find the money. I could cancel my sky tv for a couple of months and give the money to Motherwell.

we are ment of have some clever financial people on our board, yet the belt is getting tighter. God knows what state we would have been in, if we had not made europe, and progressed in cups.
Sometimes 'clever' just means balancing the books and staying out of unsustainable debt.

I will be lucky if I pay £18 to Motherwell to watch a live game again considering the pish that is being served up in the SPL let alone giving them money for nothing!

People need to get out of their heads that we owe anything to the football team that we like. That sort of thinking is part of the reason they can charge you half a shift's wages for a 90 minutes 'entertainment' when going to the cinema for example is a quarter of that price for the same length of time. We owe nothing to Motherwell, it is just a game at the end of the day.

And Amber Nectar - sorry but are you tripping? You own a car franchise or something, stop bangin on about a fecking prize draw for a new car! Who the fuck will pay £30 for a 3000/1 chance of winning a Kia fucking Ceed or some shit?

What is the point. John Boyle pumped Millions into Motherwell and won nothing infact he lost the lot. If you add it up over the years we have all pumped thousands of pounds each over the many years we have been supporting Motherwell. Might as well pull the plug on the whole thing. Cause we are just going to keep pissing our money down the toilet. I have supported the Mighty well for 30 years and I ain't going to give that up that lightly. I can just hear you all when Motherwell are shut down. Me tripping? You must be having a giraffe. i just want the best for our team. Nothing wrong with that or is there?

Looks like we are screwed then. If people won't fork out 30 quid to win a car but they will fork out £30 a month for sky tv so Man UTD Chelsea Arsenal can pay their players £100,000 per week. Makes me sick.

Away and have a word with yourself. Why should I throw £30 down the drain? I'd be as well throwing £30 on the Euromillions, I'd have as much chance of winning that and buying the club.

3000/1 to win a car a lot better odds than 100,000000/1 to win the euro millions. Just an idea to raise some money for the club. I haven't heard any better ideas. Other than selling stuff on e-bay which most people on here think is a fantastic idea but very few can afford to bid. I think the club have sold two items for £225 each. How else can the club raise more money to spend on players, stadium and other stuff. Sorry for giving a toss about the team I support.

Looks like we are screwed then. If people won't fork out 30 quid to win a car but they will fork out £30 a month for sky tv so Man UTD Chelsea Arsenal can pay their players £100,000 per week. Makes me sick.

Well least for their £30 pound a month they getting what they wanting, where as for a £30 raffle ticket they likely getting nothing.

That said I kinda agree that people preferring fitba from their armchair is only helping to kill the game where you aren't considered a glamour product worth chucking money at.

What is the point. John Boyle pumped Millions into Motherwell and won nothing infact he lost the lot. If you add it up over the years we have all pumped thousands of pounds each over the many years we have been supporting Motherwell. Might as well pull the plug on the whole thing. Cause we are just going to keep pissing our money down the toilet. I have supported the Mighty well for 30 years and I ain't going to give that up that lightly. I can just hear you all when Motherwell are shut down. Me tripping? You must be having a giraffe. i just want the best for our team. Nothing wrong with that or is there?

so the club is gonna shut down because the fans wont put there hands in there pockets anymore than they do already.you mention boyle there hes the reason were so skint and were scared to spend 2 bob more than we have to the fans are getting very lttle in return so why should we put more in than we have to

Makes sense. A £30 sky sports subscription means I can watch everything that's on Sky Sports. A £30 raffle ticket giving me a 1/3000 chance to win a car, which is probably going to be relatively shite, doesn't appeal to me as much. Now, adding such an incentive to a season ticket, without increasing the price may sway some folk who were thinking of giving the season a miss, but I doubt it would attract many new season ticket holders.

The club is doing the right thing by keeping the playing budget proportional to it's income and they certainly shouldn't be taking risks to move us up a couple of places in the table. I know some people think we should speculate to accumulate, but the reward just isn't there. A few spots higher in the table and a couple of European games would probably only recoup the initial outlay anyway. The best thing they can to is to try and get more people through the gates whether through reduced prices or convincing them football isn't shite.

Our best players should be coming though the youth ranks, giving us a couple of good seasons, then moving onto bigger things.

3000/1 to win a car a lot better odds than 100,000000/1 to win the euro millions. Just an idea to raise some money for the club. I haven't heard any better ideas. Other than selling stuff on e-bay which most people on here think is a fantastic idea but very few can afford to bid. I think the club have sold two items for £225 each. How else can the club raise more money to spend on players, stadium and other stuff. Sorry for giving a toss about the team I support.

Seriously, as I said, have a word with yourself before you decide to come back and play the super-supporter role.

Alternatively, away and fling shite at yourself.