Inverness On Saturday.

postiejim

Interesting take on the game today. Some fair posts IMHO followed by some that state it was brutal and a cr#p performance. Seem to be a lot of moaners for moaning sake.

Granted it was no classic, but I have seen a hell of a lot worse 0-0 draws. I would like to see some posters on here try and play football in a gale force whilst bucketing down....

First half ICT definitely had the better chances and but for Randolph would have been in front at the interval. 2nd half we edged it and had enough chances to win the game.

I really could not fault the players for effort and thought Forbes was OK today. Hutchy looked assured and won many balls that Reynolds would never have won in a month of Sundays. Yes he did nearly sell the jerseys once or twice, but hopefully he will get the chance now Reynolds is away.

Humphrey to me was fairly poor again today. One cracking run in the second half apart, he offered very little and is starting to resemble the player he was last season and not at the beginning of this season.

I spoke to Foran in the Centenerary after the game. I said how could you miss that chance....he said "I could not score against Motherwell" :P

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A poor game today and that was due in part to the appalling weather conditions. However good teams can grind results out in all kinds of weather. For me Randolph and Hutchinson gained pass marks. The latter came in and gave an assertive display at the back although he did have one bloomer in the second half.

Defence again looked a bit shaky and at one point lost 3 headers in our box in as many seconds. When will Stevie Hammell ever beat his man when on the attack?

Midfield? Another poster referred to them as plodders, and with the exception of Humphrey had no pace at all. Without Humphrey we can't mount a fast counter attack. Too often we overelaborate and miss the early killer pass. Humphey didn't cover himself in glory but it has to be said that until the latter stages his service as woeful. Too often he'd receive the ball with 2 defenders breathing down his neck. Thats not his game and we should learn that asap. Felt sorry for Ross Forbes - the lad is just not cutting it. His lack of positional sense caused problems for our defence, especially Stevie Hammell.

The strikers did ok up to a point but Jamie Murphy needs to find a killer touch.

Steve Meechan had a mixed debut and didn't really do enough to be able to assess him.

Our biggest problem today again was lack of confidence/lack of determination and too many players just didn't seem up for it. Quite tellingly a few folk round about us concluded that something is not right off the pitch. Clearly something isn't right and the club itself will know. SM must address this attitude problem as a matter of priority.

Too early to judge Stuart McCall who has been left a bit of a mess. However he should have made changes long before he did eg substituting Ross Forbes.

New blood is essential, but January is a hard time of year to acquire it. :P

A poor game today and that was due in part to the appalling weather conditions. However good teams can grind results out in all kinds of weather. For me Randolph and Hutchinson gained pass marks. The latter came in and gave an assertive display at the back although he did have one bloomer in the second half.

Defence again looked a bit shaky and at one point lost 3 headers in our box in as many seconds. When will Stevie Hammell ever beat his man when on the attack?

Midfield? Another poster referred to them as plodders, and with the exception of Humphrey had no pace at all. Without Humphrey we can't mount a fast counter attack. Too often we overelaborate and miss the early killer pass. Humphey didn't cover himself in glory but it has to be said that until the latter stages his service as woeful. Too often he'd receive the ball with 2 defenders breathing down his neck. Thats not his game and we should learn that asap. Felt sorry for Ross Forbes - the lad is just not cutting it. His lack of positional sense caused problems for our defence, especially Stevie Hammell.

The strikers did ok up to a point but Jamie Murphy needs to find a killer touch.

Steve Meechan had a mixed debut and didn't really do enough to be able to assess him.

Our biggest problem today again was lack of confidence/lack of determination and too many players just didn't seem up for it. Quite tellingly a few folk round about us concluded that something is not right off the pitch. Clearly something isn't right and the club itself will know. SM must address this attitude problem as a matter of priority.

Too early to judge Stuart McCall who has been left a bit of a mess. However he should have made changes long before he did eg substituting Ross Forbes.

New blood is essential, but January is a hard time of year to acquire it. :P

Something I had been questioning myself but if I'm honest I haven't heard anything which would substantiate this feeling. All I know is there has been an immeadiate change in the team after beating St Johnstone in November.

Where do you start? It certainly looks like something isn't right on and off the park as too many players don't seem to want to play for the jersey.

Well done to Randolph for keeping us in the match and to Hutchinson for a commanding performance (one bad mistake aside) - Agree with other posters about the huge improvement in Murphy. He is looking like a real talent.

The balance of the team was poor again today, especially in midfield. A midfield of 3/4 with Humphrey trying to attack on the right and dropping back to help out. Problem being the other 3 are playing the holding type game unable to play offensively box to box and support the front players.

Forbes, Lasley and Jennings all play the same position and are too similar. Forbes might be better just behind the front two, but his lack of pace and unathletic make up is a major worry.

Really concerned how the arse can fall out a team in a short period of time. I just hope the points gained can save the season, but unless things improve quickly, we'd better have players ready for a bottom of table dog fight.

I am usually one of the first to have a go at players...but I genuinely felt that (in the second half especially) the players were up for the game. The weather played a large part in mistakes and players struggling.

I do believe the departure of Brown has had a massive impact on the players and it will take a little time for McCall to stamp his authority on the squad, but he certainly does not lack enthusiasm going by his antics on the sidelines.

That is now 4 wages freed up and if McCall can deliver us some decent signings/loan players then we will NOT be in a relegation battle. I still think the best we will do is 6th, probably 7th or 8th, but that and a cup semi or two, possibly even a final will be a decent return for a season that started promisingly and has stalled due largely in part to Granpaw jumping ship.

Got to say I think people saying that the players weren't up for it are being unfair. Would agree that there is a lack of confidence and also in some combinations a lack of understanding meaning that balls ended up being passed to nobody. But if you think back to some of the balls that were delivered into our box and the way they were hurling themselves in front of it they were certainly determined to get the result.

We created a few chances which on another day would have brought us a comfortable win. ICT too had chances and Randy did well to keep the clean sheet again. At least we had something to shout about on occasion unlike the Accies dull 0-0, never felt so bad as wasting my money on that 'game' to be honest.

We'll get players in, we've got a decent wee squad the noo albeit emphasis on the wee and reckon we'll be fine but we need a win to get the confidence levels back up. Points mean prizes after all, as always prizes means cash.

Got to say I think people saying that the players weren't up for it are being unfair. Would agree that there is a lack of confidence and also in some combinations a lack of understanding meaning that balls ended up being passed to nobody.

I remain convinced that there is something fundamentally wrong with the team's atttitude. However its much more difficult to put your finger on the reason. Some players may be downright tired; some could have atttitude problems like some recently departed loanees; and some simply lack confidence or an aggressive will to win attitude.

Catweazle's Ring is right about our midfield. Hateley (as a midfielder), Lasley and Jennings are all basically defensive midfielders and thats the wrong comibination. Add to that Ross Forbes' deficiencies and we have a problem. All too often yesterday and on Wednesday the striker(s) tried to mount an attack but the central midfield just wouldn't back them up. My assumption (and thats all it is) is that the central midfielders lack pace, know it and are afraid to commit themselves in case they have to backtrack PDQ. At times John Sutton looked disgusted and Chris Humphrey looked frustrated too at the lack of support.

Impresssed by some ICT players yesterday and also Dundee United's - ok they're no world beaters but they never gave up and harried and chased - something we're not doing to the same extent.

In our current situation I think a draw is a decent result. We had chances to win the game but so did Inverness. Before the game I would have taken a point so I'm reasonably content.

What worries me is that if I was a player who was going to be out of contract soon I'd be reluctant to sign anything until I saw what direction the club was going in. If we're looking to live off loan signings and can't compete with English non-league teams in the transfer market I can't see us holding on to Sutton or Jennings.

We actually had to force ourselves to leave Jack Daniels and walk to Fir Park at 3.15pm today. And I wish I'd just stayed in the boozer to be perfectly honest.

We decided to go for a pie at 3.25 yesterday and decided to stay down and watch the scores on sky sports rather than go back up and watch the rest of the first half.

Had to drag ourselfs up for the 2nd half.

Torture.

It was definitely hard work yesterday and it could easily have been a defeat but it wasn't.

Good to see Hutch come in and do a job - he made a couple of slip ups - however it looked like there were two of him compared to one of each of our other defenders at times.

Confidence / tiredness / staleness looks like an issue - nothing that a wee sneaky result and a bit of rotation wouldn't sort out

More positive today than I was at 5.00pm last night.

The conditions for football were rank rotten yesterday, but that doesn't excuse so of the awful football from both sides. There was a point when Stuart Duff has the easiest pass in the world to Foran and he was in on goal and the guy hit it about ten yards to far by him. Also Foran with all the time in the world to throw in a cross scuffed it of his ankle. Then there was our terrible passing in the final third. I think Jennings must have passed to more ICT players and Motherwell ones. Its when you see all this in front of you, then you have to start questioning the standard of our game. Both teams struggled to put together more than four passes in a row or needed at least two to three touches to get the ball under control. Christ thats what I need to do when I am playing football. The difference is I don't get paid a grand a week for it.

The only positive from yesterday was that Shaun Huchinson is the real deal and actually looks like a footballer.

It is all doom and gloom and the only solution is for the SPL, SFA and whoever else is in that big thick soup of administration, to get the cost of the game down and try and bring in more money to help the game.

The fact that the quality has gone down, but the price has gone up is the reason the attendances have fallen. In any other business the company would end up going bust if they continued down the same road.

All this talk of league reconstruction does nothing to hide the fact we have players in our top division that would struggle in League 2 in England.

I don't understand why we don't send all the SFA cronies to Norway and come back with a blue print exactly like their league and action it.

Unless something happens quick its Game Over.

I remain convinced that there is something fundamentally wrong with the team's atttitude.

There seems to be one or two players in the team that only do enough for themselfs - they don't seem to want to bust a gut to help out other team mates. Or maybe I'm just being harsh

Midfield? Another poster referred to them as plodders, and with the exception of Humphrey had no pace at all. Without Humphrey we can't mount a fast counter attack. Too often we overelaborate and miss the early killer pass. Humphey didn't cover himself in glory but it has to be said that until the latter stages his service as woeful. Too often he'd receive the ball with 2 defenders breathing down his neck. Thats not his game and we should learn that asap.

Only part of your post that I felt the need to comment on. While I agree that Humphrey's critical to our chances of launching a fast counter, you can't lay the blame solely on others for him not getting the ball until he's covered.

I've noticed a few times this season that Humphrey's a bit like Forrest Gump...give him the ball and say "run" and he'll go for it. However, he doesn't do much to open himself up and could do with working on his awareness and positioning a bit. Too often he's been one-on-one with a defender out wide (without the ball) with someone waiting for him to move so they can play him through. If he'd learn to make the run when in that position in anticipation of the pass, rather than making the run once he's received it, I think we'd be ripping teams apart.

Apologies if posted elsewhere.

Does anyone know how hurt the boy that got hit with the car was, outside the Cooper on Saturday??

Was there not supposed to be a restriction on traffic on these roads before and after the game.

The boy in the motor was ready for driving off by the looks of things!!

The conditions were absolutely horrific and as a result the outcome was always going to be about which team adapted to it best and wanted the win more. I thought a draw was a fair result and we showed a reasonable ammount of effort, especially in the 2nd half.

Randolph and Hutchinson were our best players. Hutchinson nearly cost us the game but that aside looked more assured and deliberate in anything he did than pretty much anyone else on the pitch. Shaming his more experienced team mates in the process! Do we have anyone else waiting in the wings that can play like that? If so it is crimminal that haven't had a look in when so much of the regular starting 11 have been under performing so badly.

Whatever we offered Hateley in the summer should've been offered on top of what we offered to Giles Coke as he is exactly what we need right now. I would have Page in before Hateley who is absolutely heartless, at right back versus Hibs. Shouting abuse at our own players won't do anyone any good, but I can't see us winning many games with Forbes at left midfield. Even with time (ie corners, freekicks) his delivery was shocking. Speaking of shocking delivery, I'm still not convined Humphrey is a footballer. That cross he attempted in the 89th minute was shameful. It's a sorry state of affairs when you see professional footballers attempting things and knowing that you can do better.

There is so much wrong with the Motherwell team at the moment, and the root of it lies with Brown and Knox shafting us.

5 defeats, 3 draws and only 4 goals in our last 8 SPL games. The rot has to stop.

The conditions were absolutely horrific and as a result the outcome was always going to be about which team adapted to it best and wanted the win more. I thought a draw was a fair result and we showed a reasonable ammount of effort, especially in the 2nd half.

Randolph and Hutchinson were our best players. Hutchinson nearly cost us the game but that aside looked more assured and deliberate in anything he did than pretty much anyone else on the pitch. Shaming his more experienced team mates in the process! Do we have anyone else waiting in the wings that can play like that? If so it is crimminal that haven't had a look in when so much of the regular starting 11 have been under performing so badly.

Whatever we offered Hateley in the summer should've been offered on top of what we offered to Giles Coke as he is exactly what we need right now. I would have Page in before Hateley who is absolutely heartless, at right back versus Hibs. Shouting abuse at our own players won't do anyone any good, but I can't see us winning many games with Forbes at left midfield. Even with time (ie corners, freekicks) his delivery was shocking. Speaking of shocking delivery, I'm still not convined Humphrey is a footballer. That cross he attempted in the 89th minute was shameful. It's a sorry state of affairs when you see professional footballers attempting things and knowing that you can do better.

There is so much wrong with the Motherwell team at the moment, and the root of it lies with Brown and Knox shafting us.

5 defeats, 3 draws and only 4 goals in our last 8 SPL games. The rot has to stop.

Excellent post sir!