The Ancell Babes

welladad

:whistling::blush::notworthy:

That was the team that got me started watching the mighty Dossers.

We might have some great young players coming through but I doubt we will ever have a team which will produce the football played by the Ancell Babes.

Weir

McSeveney McCallum

Aitken Martis McCann

Reid Quinn St John Hunter Weir

What a team !!!!!

P.S. I might be wrong with this team but if you're old enough to remember the Babes there's a fair chance your memory might be about to go.

? Anybody else remember seeing them.

Mon the Dossers

Yes RD I too was weaned on 'Well, lifted over the gate and sat up on the barriers or the wall by my dad to watch that team. When I read all the moaning posts on here recently I smile a little at the thought of those young guys setting up against the best of Scottish football and proving that they could hold their own.

Don't know if it would work nowadays buut it looks as though we may be about to find out!

Anyway I will be there to watch and support the mighty 'Well whatever team we are able to field.

Now they were FOOTBALLERS. And they didn,t come through club youth teams like today. they were from Junior football. As said previously memory is likely to be suspect if you can remember watching them but I.m sure Pat Quinn played his first game after joining in a friendly against a South American team. Score was something like 7-1. Marvellous football!!!. Agree about Charlie Aitken and he was good with the ball at his feet as well but only when played at wing half and not inside forward (youngsters please get your parent to explain these words). My favourite was Willie Hunter subllime skills and not appreciated by everyone.

I saw most of them. Memory of my first game at Fir park was against Rangers and the score was 3-3 not sure if that is right or not but that is my recollection must have been early 60's

But the team I recall was ( not specifically that day )

Wylie

Thompson Mcallum

Aitken Martis McAnn

forward line is a bit sketchy but certainly remember watching Andy Wier ( scored winner in scottish cup game V stenhousemuir with a "banana" shot i think papers called it )

willie hunter was magic was it just after that when JOe Mcbride played? the other forwards I recall were maybe a wee bit after that people like george Lindsay.......is he still running?

I also have some old newspapers with reports on mothere beatingBrazilian teams Flamenco 9-3 and Bahia 3-0 plus of course paper clips from 1952 scottish cup victory ( before i was born )

I need to get them laminated or something to preserve them and get them scanned to share on here.

Like Special AKA, I too came in just after the Ancell babes and at the start of the Howitt era. My dad though raved about the babes, Charlie Aitken and Pat Quinn in particular.

I think the team I first watched was along these lines

McCloy

Whiteford, Wark

Forsyth, Martis, McCallum

Bobby Campbell, Tom Donnelly, Dixie Deans, Jackie McInally, Jimmy Wilson

Flamengo was the Brazilian team we scored 9 against.

I remember Andy Weir (famous for scoring direct from corners) took a head knock against

Third Lanark at Cathkin and ended up in Hospital with meningitis. Fortunately he recovered to play again for us.

If only we could get a team like that again.

:notworthy::):)

The Ancell babes were the team I grew up with. I seem to recollect John Martis was always giving away own goals, but that might just be my age :nod: .

I was at the 9-3 drubbing of Flamengo, also at the 7-0 against Leeds and 5-2 against Eintracht.

Ah, great days......

I was brought up under the McCleish days :lol:

I was too, was McCleish that got me into the Well as I got a tour round the stadium and met him in his office he signed stuff for me then took me to meet the full squad :lol:

My team .

A forward line of Hunter, Reid, St John, Quinn and Weir. (Poetry in motion)

I seem to remember Pat Holton playing at left back.

Charlie Aitken was one of the best headerers of a football in the world - he would jump and just seem to hang in the air as he flicked his blond hair on the ball to either clear in defence or score on the attack. (a true `Well Legend)

Fantastic football played before massive crowds crammed into Fir Park and other stadiums.

My heroes but I remember the old codgers of the day saying -

"Aye - the`re guid, son, but no as guid as Ferrier and Stevenson"

Bring on a new generation of young talent so I can make my comparison!!!! :thumbup::lol::lol: