Semi Final

joe90

Yes firstly we were the better team today but sadly up front we're lacking a goalscorer. Sutton Murphy and Humpries are all decent players but i still think we need one possibly 2 strikers brought in for injuries/loss of form particularly with Humphries who flirts in and out of games. On the plus side another decent perfomance from several in the Claret and Amber the likes of Lasley. Jennings. and Saunders did ok today. Im still not sure about Saunders mind you. :notworthy: . Im just pleased we didn't capitulate after losing the 1st goal like Aberdeen did yesterday.

• Replies 484
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Only negative for me it's to say that for a former Well player and Motherwell man Lee McCulloch is one dislikeable character. Replaces a long line of Rangers cluggers that you can really hate.

Don't think I quite hate the guy but anyone else think when he went down "injured" midway through the first half(as we were breaking forward) it appeared just a bit cynical?

Humphrey could be a great player for us if he had some positional awareness. He should have been hugging the by-line instead of essentially tying himself to Papac.

Still, thats my only slight gripe of the day.

Great day out with my family, seeing Motherwell play in our 4th semi final in my lifetime, seeing my favourite player score at Hampden and finally caught the football bug again. Can't wait till wednesday now.

I'm proud to be a 'Well fan.

Terrific performance from everyone today, on and off the park. On both counts, the best team lost. Can't understand the serious anti-Craigan stuff which is going on, aye he lost Naismith for the goal but the cross shouldn't have been allowed to come in. Players should take all the many positives onwards, get through Saturday and a favourable draw and you have another semi to get it right. Well done Motherwell, players, staff and fans alike.

Craigan was better today than I have seen in the past but there is no use winning a tackle only to pass the ball back to the opposition or out the park. Clear message needs to go to Stephen "short pass to Hutchison (best passer in the team), Hammell, Midfield or else Randolf ONLy" - no long balls and don't dilly dally.

But I am nitpicking it was a great performance only spoiled by:-

• 2 exceptional goals from Rangers
  • Jammy goalkeeping from Alexander
  • Dodgy refereeing by Collum
  • "The rub of the green"
  • Powderpuff finishing from Murphy

The best visit to Hampden for 20 years - Well done

How can it be that a challenge in our own half is a free kick but the same challenge in the opponents half is not a free kick ?

Are our refs

• A) Incompotent
  • B) Biased
  • C) Corrupt
  • D) All of the above.

Says a lot for our education system when a Teacher at a local high school has no integrity.

F*ck the game, highlight was the Well boys trying to invade the hospitality box to smash the wee h*n.

Do you know what actually happened to cause that ? All I could see was the stewards having to hold back some very angry dossers then the polis in the hospitality box

But I am nitpicking it was a great performance only spoiled by:-

• 2 exceptional goals from Rangers
  • Jammy goalkeeping from Alexander
  • Dodgy refereeing by Collum
  • "The rub of the green"
  • Powderpuff finishing from Murphy

The best visit to Hampden for 20 years - Well done

This.

Also, I got a wee chuckle on the way to the game round the Mount Florida Rail side of the stadium walking past a h*n protesting against the use of Lloyds TSB. They may win more trophies etc. but that, coupled with the lack of celebration at their 2nd goal and early exits at full time are just a couple of reasons why I pity the filth. Hate them and their ugly sisters but the hope lives on that one day they will cease to be and the rest of the country can bring football up to 21st Century Scotland.

How can it be that a challenge in our own half is a free kick but the same challenge in the opponents half is not a free kick ?

Are our refs

• A) Incompotent
  • B) Biased
  • C) Corrupt
  • D) All of the above.

Says a lot for our education system when a Teacher at a local high school has no integrity.

A,all the other answers are reserved for fuckwit Celtic fans.

This.

Also, I got a wee chuckle on the way to the game round the Mount Florida Rail side of the stadium walking past a h*n protesting against the use of Lloyds TSB. They may win more trophies etc. but that, coupled with the lack of celebration at their 2nd goal and early exits at full time are just a couple of reasons why I pity the filth. Hate them and their ugly sisters but the hope lives on that one day they will cease to be and the rest of the country can bring football up to 21st Century Scotland.

The only supporters left were Well fans at full time

Are our refs

• A) Incompotent
  • B) Biased
  • C) Corrupt
  • D) All of the above.

Utter crap, you must be talking to a lot of Celtic fans and the paranoia is rubbing off. The refs call it as they see it, most fans have no idea of the rules and are miles from the action yet can see everything that the ref misses. Grow up and stop the slander.

We wern't the better team today except maybe in relative terms but we did put in a good account of ourselves and with a bit more rub of the green could have maybe won it or at least got to extra time. So well done lads, I fear a gubbing today and we've at least held our own and made them work for it a bit.

Don't want to have a go at anyone but despite it being by no means a Clarksonesque sitter a la last time we lost a semi final to that lot why oh why does Jamie Murphy seem to have the strength and power of a toddler at times when it comes to shooting. Was it a hallucination that 25 yard screamer against the Accies last season? He seems to hit so many powder puff shots it defies belief. If sitting about 30 rows back a bit to the left of the corner flag I'd been taken out by a mishit piledriver from the lad I'd have more sympathy than seeing another shot that was tantamount to a passback in the dying minutes of a cup semi final!

Do you know what actually happened to cause that ? All I could see was the stewards having to hold back some very angry dossers then the polis in the hospitality box

Never caught the start of it, but boys were celebrating the second h*n goal think they may of been banging the glass lording it up over the Well fans. h*n boy started lifting a cup in mock celebration and the Well boys decided they wanted in the box to maul him....Fair enough in my opinion!!

Never caught the start of it, but boys were celebrating the second h*n goal think they may of been banging the glass lording it up over the Well fans. h*n boy started lifting a cup in mock celebration and the Well boys decided they wanted in the box to maul him....Fair enough in my opinion!!

And in mine it looked to me like if anyone had gotten to him he'd have been lynched. :lol:

Watched the game on sky+ there - rather dire affair.

Motherwell had a lot more of the ball than Rangers today, now that wouldn't be hard because the Rangers team looks very very stale these days, coupled with the fact there is no flair and Rangers are,as predicted - only a slightly better than average SPL side these days. Certainly not a team to be feared like in previous years.

Motherwell players were not prepared to sit back like Aberdeen yesterday and let Rangers play their game. The surface certainly wasn't cut out for good passing football and i felt Motherwell made the best of that and rightly so.

Nothing anyone could do about Edu's strike - it's one of them things,99/100 that goes out for a by kick or even a shy, sadly for motherwell today was the day it went into the net and looked good.

After that though Rangers never really looked like doing ANYTHING. Motherwell kept the ball well,put some decent passes together but with very little end product. With the exception of Alexanders 'save' near the end Motherwell didn't really give him much to do. Cracking strike again for the equaliser and it seemed to give the Motherwell boys even more confidence to go right at Rangers, like all teams should do in a Cup Semi Final.

Penalty claim? Yeah it was a decent shout and it's something that i have seen given before. It would have been soft but it could have been given and if it was i think people would struggle to complain. That's the nature of the beast now in Scotland, inconsistency of refereeing. The players didn't seem to make much of it though so who knows.

Shame how the second goal was lost, one Rangers attack (about their only one of the game) and for my money big craigan was ball watching. Good cross but you expect that from a £4million player ffs!! It was far to easily lost by Motherwell though and that's obviously the sore point because Rangers had no right to score that goal, it should have been a 50/50 header in the box - not a free one for Neismith to nod into an empty net.

As said,unlucky not to equalise - yes good save by Alexander, he didn't know much about it but he was in the right place at the right time and that's the best thing for a goalkeeper to be.

There was a good determination and spirit among the Motherwell team today and that should boad well for the games ahead. Considering Motherwell have lost their best defender and their star striker in the past month without any real replacements it was clear to see the ability that remains.

Major downside today, for a cup semi final the attendence was pathetic. Really think the SFA/SPL or whoever runs this event should have made tickets £10 and £5. It was a freezing cold day, the game was live on council telly and times are hard. Full credit to the Motherwell end today, must have felt like there was noone else in the Stadium such was the lack of fans in yon Rangers end.

really enjoyed the game today

please with the way the team played and the fact the old scum blue hardly touch the ball for long periods of the second half

but my personal highlight was the at half time when the wee well striker got it right up the old scum blue keeper very time he scored :lol:

I left for the game at 11am, with the excitement growing, but I couldn't shake the feeling that we hadn't much chance of winning :P

Now, at the other side of the game, I have to admit that I'm really disappointed for the guys, as we played well, with just a cutting edge and a slice of luck missing, and we certainly didn't deserve to lose over the 90 mins - will say however, that The Buns two goals were avoidable, but well taken.

Not going to criticise anyone today regardless - win as a team, lose as a team, and we showed a lot of pride and skill out there.

What a difference when we get the chanting going, and the celebration at the goal was immense :lol:

Important thing now is to take the positive aspects of the play forward to Wednesday, and future games.

MON RA DOSSERS

Motherwell had a lot more of the ball than Rangers today

The BBC stats say otherwise... we did have more shots on target though!

Possession

Rangers 54% Motherwell 46%

Attempts on target

Rangers 5 Motherwell 7

Attempts off target

Rangers 7 Motherwell 3

Corners

Rangers 5 Motherwell 5

Fouls

Rangers 8 Motherwell 10

Are our refs

• A) Incompotent
  • B) Biased
  • C) Corrupt
  • D) All of the above.

Thought the ref was as fair and even as I have seen for a long time against Rangers. The penalty decision would have been a soft one and he could have made much more of the Hutchison lunge particularly at a time when Well were putting Rangers under a lot of pressure. Good performance by the ref but then again, with the exception of McCulloch the players made it fairly straight forward for him today.

The BBC stats say otherwise... we did have more shots on target though!

Possession

Rangers 54% Motherwell 46%

Attempts on target

Rangers 5 Motherwell 7

Attempts off target

Rangers 7 Motherwell 3

Corners

Rangers 5 Motherwell 5

Fouls

Rangers 8 Motherwell 10

That is odd because towards the end of the first half (I think, maybe beginning of the second) it read 51%-49% in favour of Motherwell. If anything after that Motherwell came into the game more.

I don't think the penalty would have been soft. he had his arm round his throat and pulled him to the ground. Compare it to what was given against us at St johnstone.

Good point sir! Look at the two incidents and its clear we were hard done to in both cases.