Motherwell Vs St Johnstone

cameltoe

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

An interesting comment, if you don't mind me saying so. Yes, it is very early days - far too early to judge SM. We have to wait until he's had time to bring in his own players and put his own stamp on the team. However, usually when a new manager takes over there's some kind of uplift in a team's confidence and performances. This simply hasn't happened. When you say you haven't noticed any dfference, do you mean compared to Craig Brown's team or Gordon Young's temporary reign?

Hibs being the exception then!

I mean since Craig Brown left. It's hypothetical but I think we would have had the same results under Young if he had have still been in charge. I'm just disappointed I've seen nothing since McCall came. I expected us to be pressing more (based purely on the fact that's the type of player he was), more aggressive, putting pressure on the refs rather than just accept every decision but none of this has happened. I suppose the only thing I've seen is that he doesn't play John Sutton as a left midfielder and gets us to play the long ball.

The way we did on Saturday you mean? :lol:

pulling out of challenges, not going flat out etc etc You would think we had a semi final to play on Sunday :lol:

just saw the highlights and in particular the penalty. What was Craigan doing? Rather than attack the ball, he decides to turn away from the ball and jump into the Saints player, arm first at neck level. Mental decision especially from an experienced player.

Seen the highlights. Penalty award was of the soft variety but tehnically correct. Craigan jumped into Duberry and had a hand on his chest; referee about 15 feet away with clear view. No complaint.

Craigan = bombscare = get shot. Move Saunders to centre-back to partner Hutchison and bring in Page at right back/move Hately to right back.

We are not going to win any of the two cups, we are not going to get relegated and I think the best we will finish in the SPL is 8th so we might as well make the changes now and get them bedded-in for next season.

Centre of midfield and up front is the problem i reckon. Last night Hateley was absoluteley awful and we missed Lasley hugely but i don't think (however much i like him) that Las is the answer. We need a much more forward thinking central midfield who's willing to get forward and fill up the humungous space that often appears between Sutton/Murphy and centre of our midfield and completely isolates them. Due to this the high balls up to the strikers that were constantly played last night were pointless and hugely frustrating (as anyone at the game last night would agree with).

Casagolda when coming on last night did ok, lots of effort and a couple of decent touches, but can't see him ever scoring for us. We just need somebody who can hit the back of the net now and again and can hold up the ball which murphy and sutton never did once last night.

Seen the highlights. Penalty award was of the soft variety but tehnically correct. Craigan jumped into Duberry and had a hand on his chest; referee about 15 feet away with clear view. No complaint.

Craigan = bombscare = get shot. Move Saunders to centre-back to partner Hutchison and bring in Page at right back/move Hately to right back.

We are not going to win any of the two cups, we are not going to get relegated and I think the best we will finish in the SPL is 8th so we might as well make the changes now and get them bedded-in for next season.

I couldn't agree more. Now is the time for Hateley to prove himself at his natural position, instead of wandering in the middle of the park!

Highlighs look like only one team in it - and they got beat. As has been said, if that was a penalty, then I look forward to seeing at least half-a-dozen a side in each SPL game for the rest of the season.

Just watched the highlights. Stone wall penalty. Had that been Hutchison or Saunders we would be bemoaning a lack of experience (Saunders has admittedly been guilty of that this season).

Craigan has been a good defender for the club but we really must be getting towards time for a change.

When Craigan won his contract extension under Brown he deserved it for a run of games when he showed what he could do. Either side of that little window of form he has been poor.

A Hutchison- Saunders pairing does have risk attached to it but in a season that looks like slipping gently away we have to take a chance on the future. Apart from anything else these boys are capable of scoring goals.

I agree with these posts we aint going anywhere this season and as well trying to get thing sorted out sooner than later. Should've made Craigan assistant manager and retired him from the playing side rather than appointing Black who in my opinion is a 1st div coach. Secondly we should stop trying to make Tom Hately a midfielder, he's a right back and much better than Saunders in my opinion. Also we need a centre half to play alongside Hutchie, why not Page? Also time to punt Casagolda and a dissapointing Forbes whose also needing to move on. The simple fact is this season is a transitional period for us and we're losing winnable games at the moment forget getting to the League cup final folks, it aint going to happen but the money from the semi will help us rebuild for next season as will a decent Scottish Cup run after hopefully taking care of Stranraer. With potential bids coming in for Murphy and our keeper i can see a virtual new team in place next season. The big question is... Is Stuart McCall the man to lead us? Somehow i dont think so.. :rolleyes:

Centre of midfield and up front is the problem i reckon. Last night Hateley was absoluteley awful and we missed Lasley hugely but i don't think (however much i like him) that Las is the answer. We need a much more forward thinking central midfield who's willing to get forward and fill up the humungous space that often appears between Sutton/Murphy and centre of our midfield and completely isolates them. Due to this the high balls up to the strikers that were constantly played last night were pointless and hugely frustrating (as anyone at the game last night would agree with).

Casagolda when coming on last night did ok, lots of effort and a couple of decent touches, but can't see him ever scoring for us. We just need somebody who can hit the back of the net now and again and can hold up the ball which murphy and sutton never did once last night.

Good post and I agree with a lot of that. Giles Coke wasn't the greatest and he was a bit mercurial but we badly need someone to fill that role - someone with a good engine to motor up and down the park (a Vauxhall Insignia rather than a Bentley). The central midfield hasn't been right for some time now and neither has the striking partnership. Many of our problems stem from these areas of the team. Its worth noting that CB couldn't get it right.

Jamie Pollock and Steven Meechan may make it time (equally they may not) but right now they are not the answer, and we shouldn't expect them to be.

McCalls' had five leagues games now & we've only scored against a pish poor Hibs that Ayr pumped. So in 4 league games we've scored fuck all. Doesn't take a genius to work out why we aren't winning games. Time to give Casagolda a full 90mins. What's the worst that can happen? He doesn't do anything? Well how is that worse than whats happening now & who knows maybe just maybe he might provide something a bit different. We've got a relatively untried striker sitting on the bench for a team that couldnt score in a barrel of fannies. Give the boy a chance to prove himself.

Surprised that the highlights didn't show Chris Humphrey's amazing sprint back to save a certain goal when Darren Randolph advanced up the park for a late corner.

One the most amazing sights I've seen for a long time. What a run! Probably the only highlight of the game for me.

Surprised that the highlights didn't show Chris Humphrey's amazing sprint back to save a certain goal when Darren Randolph advanced up the park for a late corner.

One the most amazing sights I've seen for a long time. What a run! Probably the only highlight of the game for me.

+1

It was a fantasic run, and that boy Cleveland Taylor that was through on goal is far from slow

Highlighs look like only one team in it - and they got beat. As has been said, if that was a penalty, then I look forward to seeing at least half-a-dozen a side in each SPL game for the rest of the season.

Agree ...........But on the plus side,if a pen was given every time a player pushed/pulled whether looking at the ball or not ,we will have games 8-8 every week !!!!!!

Imagine if that was given against Smellic :doh: ......

+1

It was a fantasic run, and that boy Cleveland Taylor that was through on goal is far from slow

Agreed, he's the quickest player I've seen, even quicker than Dave McCabe! Just a pity he doesn't have that belief everytime he attacks a full back. I honestly think if Humphrey believes in himself a bit more, we'd have a fantastic player.

While I agree that this season is pretty much a dead duck and we should be trying to bed in the team that will start next season, can you imagine the rage on here as we lose to St Mirren, Accies and the likes while trying to do it. And if you're going to do it with the back four then you need to do it with the full team. Given Jennings and Sutton are out of contract (not sure about Lasley and Craigan), you're looking at a team of

Randolph

Hately Saunders Hutchison Hammell

Humphrey Lasley Meechan Forbes

Murphy McHugh

That is, of course, assuming we don't cash in on Humphrey in the summer when he'll have one year left on his contract and assuming that we don't get an offer we can't refuse for Randolph or Murphy.

All very well saying that we need to start bedding in next season's team now, but for a lot of people watching defeat after defeat would be too much. That and the fact you'd then be paying Craigan, Jennings and Sutton for doing nothing...

Gutted i missed that mate.....sounded good that!

Good shout. Mixed feelings about a goalie going up for a corner. The anticpation is usually sky high as you would love nothing better than to see your keeper stick one in the opposition's net. On the other hand you know he is up there 'cause you are getting beat. When required I'd have them do it again.

The speed of Humphrey after it was nothing short of freakish. Couldnae believe he caught him.