Motherwell Vs Kilmarnock 02/02/2011

David

i can take losing when we play like that, 1000000000000 times better than perth. We had enough chances to win 3 or 4 games - some terriffic stuff at times

I think if Sutton had started we would have won as we put great crosses in and had no one to win them.

Work on shooting at training and bring on Stranraer.

Mon the 'Well

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good performance tonight, just need to find that cutting edge. It just seemed like it was going to be another one of those games when the time wore on and we hadn't put away any of our chances. Just the wrong decision a few too many times in some great positions, otherwise we could have been walking away with a thumping win.

I didn't think anyone played badly tonight, save perhaps the goal machine who tried to put himself about but unfortunately didn't seem to have too much of an idea what he was doing.

Thought Jennings, Lasley and Hammell especially were all superb and the middle two really dictated the game. Murphy against Sissoko was never going to be a successful match up unfortunately and it showed as he kept getting pushed off the ball too easily. He's never going to be a huge, strong centre forward so he just needs to learn how to outsmart his opponent a bit, rather than taking the direct route all the time. Tough ask for him though and he did get into some good positions, just looks like he's suffering from a bit of a crisis of confidence at the moment.

Just typically unfortunate that we lose a goal from Hammell pulling up injured and the defence not reacting well enough to cover. As said though, another night we could have been 3 goals up by then.

The ref was absolutely shocking again. How Steve O'Reilly keeps getting SPL games is beyond me. He's completely inconsistent, seems to not understand the rules and doesn't know how to let a game flow. I thought Hay's red card was disgraceful. It was a booking, plain and simple. The red card should have been out several minutes previous, when Saunders was through on goal on the edge of the D and the Killie defender stuck his hand out. How that was only a booking while Hay's, out on the wing was a red is completely beyond me. Saunders was in a clear goalscoring position with daylight between him and the net.

We're defending reasonably well on the whole and not conceding too many goals but as well as we played though, we have to find a killer instinct. John Sutton's been playing well the last couple of games and most defences can't compete with him aerially so dropping him for Casagolda doesn't seem to be the answer. Do we rest Murphy for a couple of games and try Casagolda or one of the young lads in there? It feels like we're just missing one tiny piece to the puzzle, hopefully we just need a little bit of luck to get back on track.

I think the goal we lost was damn unlucky as a minute before it Craigan was pointing at Hammell and making the subby action to the bench and then before we can change it their winger stretches his legs down that side and fires in a good cross.

Jones has something we haven't had down the left for ages and i think he will prove to be an asset over time. Casagolda I don't know what to say. There is something about him - workrate is excellent and a couple of times he created us a lot of space. Other times he just looks rubbish. Certainly think we need to keep him fresh and let him have another chance.

Thought some of our crossing tonight was really good tonight. Some of the balls into the box from Hammell, Humprhey and Jones caused all sorts of bother. But I still think we need an alternative creative outlet in the middle plus a finisher. Still think we have enough to be stuck in the middle until the end of the season though.

Overall though pretty content with how we played and looked to play but finishing and final ball need worked on.

And tonight is also the first time I have felt the rain in the back row of the East Stand. Woeful weather which helped nobody out there.

Easy to see how we lost TBH

Goal was unlucky but still

Not got a goalscorer.

Jones looks not bad but not greatly impressed, some good touches but gave ball away a bit often.

Humphrey as always a threat.

Casagolda WTF GTF

Lasley was superb.

In desperate need of a goalscorer or at least someone willing to shoot.

Wonder how long Hammell will be out

I thought the majority of the team played well tonight. Jones looked a great player, wasn't scared to take on their defence and thought he was very unlucky not to at least create a goal. Jennings look assured and hardly misplaced a pass tonight. My only grumble was that he wouldn't take a shot at goal, the amount of times he had a spare 4 or 5 yards outside the box was unbelieveable. The fact that Randolph hardly had a save to make shows you how good Kilmarnock were.

I don't think I'm the only one thinking this but I think Jamie Murphy looks out of sorts at the moment, he just doesn't look like he has the spark to create or score. He struggled abit on Sunday and struggled even more so tonight. Jamie Murphy on form is a huge asset for us ie, against Dundee. But when he isn't playing well it hinders us more than anything.

But its always the same with Kilmarnock, we pound them for 80-90 minutes then they hit us with a sucker punch. Can anybody see how many late goals ie, 80-90+mins they've scored against us in the last few years? Must be hitting double figures at least ;)

I don't think I'm the only one thinking this but I think Jamie Murphy looks out of sorts at the moment, he just doesn't look like he has the spark to create or score.

if jenno nets his chance, murphy's made a goal.

we were extremeley unlucky tonight. jenno misses a one on one. jenno stupidly gives away a free kick. the ref/linesman makes them retake a free kick for no apparent reason. hammell gets injured. it starts pishing down. randolph misses a cross and they score.

no one let us down tonight. we've lost 3 midweek games in a row by very, very small margins. i'm going down to stranraer on saturday to get behind mccall and team and hopefully we'll have a scottish quarter to look forward to.

in the league we've got a hard game at ibrox coming up after that there are points to take. aberdeen (a), accies (h), st mirren (h), celtic (h), ict (a) killie (a), aberdeen (h).

if jenno nets his chance, murphy's made a goal.

we were extremeley unlucky tonight. jenno misses a one on one. jenno stupidly gives away a free kick. the ref/linesman makes them retake a free kick for no apparent reason. hammell gets injured. it starts pishing down. randolph misses a cross and they score.

no one let us down tonight. we've lost 3 midweek games in a row by very, very small margins. i'm going down to stranraer on saturday to get behind mccall and team and hopefully we'll have a scottish quarter to look forward to.

in the league we've got a hard game at ibrox coming up after that there are points to take. aberdeen (a), accies (h), st mirren (h), celtic (h), ict (a) killie (a), aberdeen (h).

I hope you didn't think I was having a go at anyone about tonight. I thought they all pretty much had a good game and deserved the 3 points. If Murphy was himself the now then he would've took that chance tonight absolutely no doubt about it because it was a carbon copy of the chance he took at Dundee. We're suffering in the league at the moment due to his and the teams lack of cutting edge.

I hope you didn't think I was having a go at anyone about tonight. I thought they all pretty much had a good game and deserved the 3 points. If Murphy was himself the now then he would've took that chance tonight absolutely no doubt about it because it was a carbon copy of the chance he took at Dundee. We're suffering in the league at the moment due to his and the teams lack of cutting edge.

not having a go at you, i just think we've been dropping points by small margins for a while and it has to be taken into consideration.

accies - missed a pen and should have had another one

hibs - saunders equalises with a good goal offside

st mirren - jennings and gow missed sitters, higdon should have been off

hearts - murphy misses a header from 6 yards with five mins to go

rangers - pumped

celtic - they score with a huge deflection. hateley shites out a good chance at the end

accies - murphy hits bar

dundee united - humphrey hits a header straight at the goalie at 1-1 with five minutes to go

ict - both sides were unlucky

st j - murphy shot hits sutton on the line, they get a dodgy pen

rangers - haddy edu fires in a 30 yarder. alexander flukes save at end

tonight - nae luck at all

it just seem that nothing is going for us at all this season. going right back to the hibs game at the start of the season with missed chances and shite refereeing. we missed loads of chances and had a couple of stonewall pens denied against odense. the maloney dive against celtic. jenno missing the header against aberdeen.

last season everything went for us, this season it's not happening.

Just caught the odd glimpse of the BBC text at work while the game happened. Thanks for the accounts above, seemed that we played very well. Hopefully the results will come, as for Casagolda, I don't even think he was mentioned in the BBC text, very disappointing he didn't take his opportunity in the starting line-up and I reckon that's pretty much it for him. Having not seen the game cannot comment, but we do need to pick up points in games like this at home.

I think people are exaggerating Murphy's loss of form.

He's missed a couple of chances, none of them sitters by the way, and he's 'off form'. Seems to me he is copping it in the neck for the general lack of goals in the team.

I thought Murphy did well last night and against Rangers, he just didn't get on the score sheet. If you look at our best play in both these matches, the times when we looked most dangerous Murphy was generally involved.

I think the goal we lost was damn unlucky as a minute before it Craigan was pointing at Hammell and making the subby action to the bench and then before we can change it their winger stretches his legs down that side and fires in a good cross.

Not bad luck just bad decision making by the management team. Stevie Hammell pulled up and indicated he wanted to come off. The management team told him to stay on despite Craigan's pleading. You could see the Killie bench telling Clancy to start bombing up and down the wing and Stevie couldn't track back. The rest is history. Quite a few POD Stand punters weren't pleased at Black & McCall, but everyone is entitled to make mistakes.

A bit of a smash and grab last night but the script was obvious early on. A lot of pressure but problems getting efforts on target. Strikeforce was lightweight to put it politely.

Killie might be a decent footballing side as the media aren't tired of telling us but they also have a nasty cynical side which wasn't pleasent. Rough justice on Frazer Wright though. He tried to "do" Chris Humphrey, but failed fortunately, then one of our lads took exception and Wright came off worst.

Its going to be a long hard run up to the end of the season. On the evidence of the past few games we'll finish about 10th. Off the field issues are costing us dearly.

how about getting one or two of the young forwards in for a shot. You never know we may have a wee star in the making. Who's that tall funny looking kid Keiran or something. Get him in there for a bash is say.

Some amount of moaning fuckers on here.

I thought we were excellent last night, and if we continue to play we did last night and on Sunday we'll win more games than we'll lose. We had a real balance about the team last night, with Jones pretty effective on teh left over the course of the 90mins, and although Humph was pretty quiet on the right, you could see that he was a real worry for the Killie defence in teh way that they were doubling up on him.

Murphy is infuriating - all the talent in the world, but lacks that self-belief at times and really needs to bulk up or he'll never realise his potential. The pitch last night never really helped him when he was up against Sissoko.

Casagolda for me the jury is still out, thought he had a couple of decent lay-offs and 1 or 2 half chances, but watching him without the ball at times it looked as if he didnt know what to do. Play him against Stranraer and let him see if he can get a goal or two.

Jennings and Lasley were immense all match, and it'll be a shame if this partnership is broken up in the Summer as we were far less effective in this area when Hateley came in there. Eremenko was non-existant, and that boy from Milan was stinking.

The defence was pretty solid and I thought that Hammell and Saunders were excellent both at the back and when trying to join the attack. Hutch and Craigan played OK, but my heart was in my mouth everytime Craggs had the ball at his feet. What was up with Randys kicking last night?

All-in-all I thought we deserved a lot more from the match than the fuck-all that we got and Killie got lucky with their breakaway goal.

Bottom line is though, we failed to take the many chances and free-kicks around the box that we had.

how about getting one or two of the young forwards in for a shot. You never know we may have a wee star in the making. Who's that tall funny looking kid Keiran or something. Get him in there for a bash is say.

The problem is we would have to rely on them which is totally wrong. By all means introduce them gradually but we shouldn't be relying on Under 19s. We need a short term solution or it will cost us cash.

Aside from Cassagolda, I thought as a team we played well and I was quite encouraged by it all. We were clearly the better side and just got mugged on the night. Cammy bell played a blinder and our team missed a hat full of chances, not counting the ones Cassagolda decided to not bother kicking.

Hopefully the goals will come. We certainly played well enough to win.

Sore one, guys are on top and look like they are going to get at least a point. Hammel gets injured can't track back Craigen is left to cover two guys one of them gets away he puts cross in guy is left unmarked in the box and it's good night. All the good work goes down the shiter.

Good performance and tactics tonight from both teams, really enjoyed the game apart from the weather and result obviously.

Killie are going to be fucked if they bring in the foreigner rule, looked like 3/4 of their team were not from these shores.

Anyway, more optimistic after Sunday and last night.

Jones looks not bad but not greatly impressed, some good touches but gave ball away a bit often.

To be fair to the lad I'd say that the only reason he gave the ball away was that he was constantly trying to take people on and get past them, something we don't have too much of in our team. With that type of player you're always going to lose the ball a fair bit but when he gets past his man, as he did on countless occasions last night, you're going to create chances, which he did. The one on the stroke of half time was superb.

With the exception of Casagolda, I felt for the players and McCall last night. Solid performances all round, 100% commitment, desire to win and some pretty decent football.

Inevitably, the lack of striking options is going to be an issue. Hopefully we can really start banging in the goals from set pieces. Hammell's delivery has been top notch and Saunders & Hutchison offer a refreshing threat. Other than that, I wonder if McCall may be tempted to play 451 on a more regular basis. Given the amount of balls falling at the edge of the box, we really need a midfielder to support the front (John Sutton preferably) and hit a few shots from 20 yards. Does Ross Forbes still have his shooting boots?

Really pleased with how Jennings and Lasley are playing just now. Back to the form they showed when Brown first arrived.

We looked comfortable last night, passed the ball well, but were light weight and shot shy up front. (Unfortunately, Casagolda isn't the answer and has probably played his way out of F.P.)

We needed a striker in at the window, didn't and will now suffer as a consequence!

Top 6 ain't going to happen.

We can make all the excuses under the sun about how this didn't happen but undoubtedly its going to come back and bite us big time in the arse.

Surprised no one other than Kmcalpin mentioned the Hammil incident. He pulled up in front of us at least 3-4 minutes before the goal, holding his hamstring.

Kilmarnock's backroom staff saw it and instructed Clancy to push onto Hammill.

Our bench seemed unaware and even signalled to hold off even although Craigan and a large section of POD had been screaming he was finished.

Poor judgement and indecisiveness on the bench cost us a point last night although there were enough chances to win this match hands down.(Hammill should have went down with an injury and stopped the game well before they scored.)

Looks like the rest of the season will be a hard slog, playing reasonable football but with no punch up front.

From 3rd to probably 8th/9th/10th by the end of the season? Money well saved or not?

Why did the ref book so many players? like Jennings and some other players were booked off the ball

Did anyone find out why? im sure Jennings got booked for that 2 footed lunge on Eremenko and then booked again for an off the ball incident

No he got talking to for his two footed 'jump'. bad for that he is but he played the ball cleanly which saved him from worse. The actual booking he got is a mystery. How it took so long for theat bnch of cluggers to get one sent off is another mystery. Yon O'Reilly is one strange fellow.