2011/12 Ins & Outs Thread

LadywellToi

What i gather from McCall is that after the Law man signs we will be after one more player which will be a defender. That means he appears happy with our current strikeforce. Can't say i share his optimism oh that. If Higdon gets injured/suspended then i can see a good few Motherwell nil scorelines. Could be wrong but other than him and Murphy do we have any recognised strikers in the squad that isn't an inexperienced youngster?

Agreed. He's said that we've only lost Sutton from the first team squad, but he must be forgetting Ross, Jones and Jeffers who it looks like we won't be replacing. That for me is a MASSIVE gamble, and means that McHugh and Smith MUST step up to the plate, otherwise it could be a very long season. Quality over quantity sounds all well and good, but our overall strength in depth is wafer thin, and as I've already stated we can't keep reducing numbers and get away with it.

Totally agree Yir Elder, I think we will see Murphy up front rather than on the wing. My main worry is I can't see McHugh stepping up to be a first team regular. If any of our forwards get injured I can't see where the goals will come from which is a major worry

Agreed. He's said that we've only lost Sutton from the first team squad, but he must be forgetting Ross, Jones and Jeffers who it looks like we won't be replacing. That for me is a MASSIVE gamble, and means that McHugh and Smith MUST step up to the plate, otherwise it could be a very long season. Quality over quantity sounds all well and good, but our overall strength in depth is wafer thin, and as I've already stated we can't keep reducing numbers and get away with it.

Remember Peter that his budget lasts the full year. Ross, Jones and Jeffers all joined in January so it could be that he is keeping aside some money which he can spend this coming January. Whilst we'd all love a couple more signings, I can see budget slashing across the board in Scotland creating an over-reliance on youngsters for some years to come.

Not my Spanish, no, but at 17, I certainly knew the difference in English.

What with ZFA being English, I would assume that he may have picked it up at some point.

fair point, I only noticed some speaking about Casagolda

We desperately need another striker. Severely lacking in cover there, and I've not quite got the faith in McHugh yet. At first team level, he seemed to do a lot of running about, and very little else.

Still got hope for him though,

As for the 'outs' - Forbes is in dire need of a short loan for playing time.

Agreed with all that's been said already :whistling:

We should never ever ever let any of the younger guys near the first team incase they end up getting experience.

Ship as many of them out as possible as a) it's never worked for us in the past and b) we are, of course, the fuckin man city of scotland.

• Like 1

DITTO on the above. I suspect we have increased deals for certain players inc Jennings, so that will have eaten up a plyer or two when compared to those that left. Plus late on in the season we knew we had extra money coming our way, so could pick up Jeffers etc.

I suspect most of the money made from the Cup would have gone on bonuses and to pay back John Boyle as I am sure whilst we have/had NO bank debt we relied on him to provide cash flow. It makes you wonder what would happen had we NOT been in the top 6 or semi's and final last year.

Still going with ONLY 2 recognisable/reliable strikers is a gamble. I would be more comfortable if we sacrificed a defender for a Striker. As mentioned if either Murphy or Higdon get injured I am far from convinced McHugh will provide adequate cover. Maybe we could get a player on loan should such a scenario occur?

i'm sure we'll be getting a striker on loan.

i think if mchugh can get a few starts under his belt he will show a bit of improvement. most of his appearances last season were from the bench when we were either desperately chasing the game or sitting on a lead. he scored all the way through the age groups for us and scotland, he's looks like a natural goal scorer so hopefully he can get a few this season and kickstart his career.

• Like 1

Ma hole!

The money we made will be going to ensure we survive in the longer term. There's no way we should blow it all the first opportunity / transfer window we get.

I'm seriously surprised at some of the posts on here from folk who really should know better

• Like 3

Ma hole!

The money we made will be going to ensure we survive in the longer term. There's no way we should blow it all the first opportunity / transfer window we get.

I'm seriously surprised at some of the posts on here from folk who really should know better

Careful now. That post is sensible. Don't want to upset folk on here.

We have sold fuck all in years so can sign fuck all. Pretty basic maths is all that you need to figure out our budgets for this season. As for the young players well McHugh and Forbes have this season to prove themselves. They were both poor last season. Its make or break.

going by what mccall has been saying then we'll have a smaller squad than last season but we should have more quality to pick from with the new arrivals which is fine with me as we'll no be wasting money on the likes of ross and casagolda.i was reading mccall in the evening times earlier and it looks like nicky law could be used on the left side of midfield if so then id say were sorted in midfield.i think we'll get 2 more signings hopefully another defender and a striker if we could get them in before the season starts would be good but more than likely itll be towards the end of the transfer window.all in all the squad is in pretty good shape so hopefully we can look forward to another good season :)

I would like another striker, definitely but I think we need to give McHugh a fair crack of the whip. He has only made three starts, one which he scored, one which he was decent and another he couldn't make an impact getting beat 6-1 at Castle Greyskull. Also you could count on one hand how many of his sub appearances have been longer than half an hour. I think our squad looks strong enough to challenge top six.

FYI: Castle Greyskull was where He-Man and the good guys hung oot.

Agree though. I hope he picked up a few things from Jeffers, they do look to be similar players from what we've seen of McHugh. I've always been confident McHugh can offer something to us, always seems to be doing the right things on the short chances he gets.