10 Years On

Toxteth O'Grady

Pat Nevin, what a cunt.

Even today the shite the man comes away with is unbelieveable.

Last sportscene he sat there with the rules on handball printed out, trying his hardest to be a smart-arse while reviewing the wrong incident in the penelty call for Hearts. Just wanted to slap him silly. We have a league full of shite refs and when one finally makes an amazingly difficult call, very very well, Pat sits on TV that night trying to claimb onto a high horse and bad mouth it. What a silly like cunt of a man, how the BBC can justify paying him a penny I will never know.

Okay, claim again :laugh:

As far as I recall we never called for someone's head - we were too concerned with saving the club. Pat Nevin resigned voluntarily. I'm not saying it was all Pat Nevin's fault because it wasn't but he must shoulder some of the responsibility. At least John Boyle stuck around to help sort things out and ensure our survival.

Nevin agreed stupid wages with 2nd/3rd rate players a club like Motherwell could never sustain. He was never held accountable, but should have been imho.

Curse at the TV every time I see the wee prick try to pontificate in his annoying manner. Claims he's a Hibee ! Aye right.

Have met both Nevin and John Boyle. One seemed a decent genuine bloke who knew a lot about football. The other seemed totally out of touch with reality.....

Would never slate John Boyle for his ambition and love for the club, however his vanity and unrealistic expectations were undoubtedly our downfall.

Not saying Nevin is totally blameless either, but we all bought into the dream.

Was really bitter about Nevins role at the time, but not now. Think the article is quite illuminating and shows a different path could have been tread.

• Like 1

I think you could debate the rights and wrongs of how we came to be in the position we were, and who was responsible for that for hours, but when all's said and done having gone through the process, terrible experience though it was, it's an experience that has shaped and will positively influence how the club operates for years to come.

In terms of the article itself I see a mixture of truths, half-truths and attempts at re-painting history. It's absolutely laughable for example for Nevin to absolve himself of blame. It's a bit like a pilot plotting course into a mountain but saying since he handed over control before the plane crashed it was nothing to do with him.

Nevin knew perfectly well the role that John Boyle wanted to bring him to Motherwell for and no attempts to play down the importance of his position within the club with language that suggests a casual detached involvement will change that.

Boyle admitted he was near clueless about the how to run a football club at the start and put his trust in his friend to guide him. Don't forget that Motherwell actually had to pay something like £70,000 to Kilmarnock for Boyle to bring him to the club. Did really think we were paying that for a 35 year old just for him to come and play and football?

I certain recall reports at the time that Nevin wanted to stay and avoid going into administration. But I also recall that his solution was for Boyle to continue to throw money at the problem. I guess that's fine when it's someone else's dosh you are playing with and not your own then!

In my eyes no matter what kind of picture he has tried to portray publicly over the last decade or what he tells himself to suppress any notion of guilt - Nevin was and remains partly culpable for the club going into administration.

• Like 1

here's the squad from wiki for that season.

we were a shambles.a squad full of overpaid pish and this was after his first attempt at downsizing when mcculloch, mcmillan, brannan, goram, teale, spencer, thomas (£150,000 and probably half a million in wages for 16 appearances, good one pat!) and goodman left.

the guy didn't have a clue.

How ironic is it that Boyle saw fit to spend a lot of money to try and make us the third force in Scottish football, and now we see ourselves sitting third virtually all season after living the past few years on a realistic budget?

It may have taken a few mistakes along the way, but we're sitting very pretty at the moment both on & off the field, and those who stuck around after administration have to be recognised for that.

Nevin isn't one of those people.

If Nevin had a buyer, and felt that was the correct way to go?, why did he not arrange for said buyer to take control of the club when we were in Administration, surely that would have been cheaper and allowed the buyer to feed more money into the club funds?

or a very least it would have called out JB if he refused the CVA from another potential owner

How ironic is it that Boyle saw fit to spend a lot of money to try and make us the third force in Scottish football, and now we see ourselves sitting third virtually all season after living the past few years on a realistic budget?

It may have taken a few mistakes along the way, but we're sitting very pretty at the moment both on & off the field, and those who stuck around after administration have to be recognised for that.

Nevin isn't one of those people.

:nod: Solid investment in the right people and skills, we've shown it doesn't all have to be about money, more about how you use it. There are some right thick bastards running our game if they can't see that. Neil Doncaster top of the list, the man is purely finance driven and has no idea of how to run the game. Folk like him have led us to where the game is now, and as long as money is the single most important issue to clubs that won't change.

Lot of rubbish on this page and it's all based on pure opinion and spectulation. Simple fact of the matter is Nevin didn't want the job, Boyle persuaded him to take it on and Boyle stated his ambitions and budgets. And IF the Sky deal hadn't dissappeared, then we wouldn't have imploded! Billy Davies has to take a lot of the flak for signing these players as it was him who identified targets, such as his brother John Davies and Paul Harvey.

People commententing on things they don't know the facts to with such agressive authority pisses me off. Yes, Nevin should have put up more of a fight to get Boyle to reign in his ambition, but I don't lay much blame with him at all. He was dead against administration and felt it was completely uneccessary. Many local companies, Eric Black and many of the players have spoke about his determination to fight the threat of administartion to the very end. Like him or not, he always comes accross as very professional and honest - just as he was in his playing days. Its everyone's right to disagree with his opinion though.

But anyway, it's allin the past and I think we are in a better position now becuase of all those terrible events that happened 10years ago.

• Like 2

Lot of rubbish on this page and it's all based on pure opinion and spectulation. Simple fact of the matter is Nevin didn't want the job, Boyle persuaded him to take it on and Boyle stated his ambitions and budgets. And IF the Sky deal hadn't dissappeared, then we wouldn't have imploded! Billy Davies has to take a lot of the flak for signing these players as it was him who identified targets, such as his brother John Davies and Paul Harvey.

People commententing on things they don't know the facts to with such agressive authority pisses me off. Yes, Nevin should have put up more of a fight to get Boyle to reign in his ambition, but I don't lay much blame with him at all. He was dead against administration and felt it was completely uneccessary. Many local companies, Eric Black and many of the players have spoke about his determination to fight the threat of administartion to the very end. Like him or not, he always comes accross as very professional and honest - just as he was in his playing days. Its everyone's right to disagree with his opinion though.

But anyway, it's allin the past and I think we are in a better position now becuase of all those terrible events that happened 10years ago.

+1

Administration was the best thing that every happened to us and gave us at least a 5 if not 10 year start over most other teams in running the club on a financially realistic basis. Just look at what is happening to Rangers right now and think what would have happened to us if we'd accumulated our debts over a further decade.

It's no coincidence that the last 10 years has probably been the most consistently successful for the club since the 1950's. Just a pity we've not gone one step further and actually won a trophy in that time but there's always next season!

I'm not sure I really understand the antipathy to Nevin. People made mistakes and we moved on. Now and then I had much more distaste for some of the players that passed through the club at that time, earned very good wages and gave nothing back in terms of performances or value for money.

I'm not sure I really understand the antipathy to Nevin. People made mistakes and we moved on. Now and then I had much more distaste for some of the players that passed through the club at that time, earned very good wages and gave nothing back in terms of performances or value for money.

because nevin was the guy with the purse strings.

he signed the wasters.

The responsibility for the administration debacle, like any other company, starts and stops at the top. Boyle hired Nevin, and Boyle should have been diligent with his oversight.

Thankfully, he learned from his mistakes, but JB was the man at fault.