2013 - 2014 Ins & Outs

Mad Dog

I know we do not have a lot of money but we still need a squad, not just a team. No idea how much Bob is on but I think he might still chime in with a few goals off the bench and added to that we have not signed Ainsworth or Anier, they are on loand ( till January just ? ) So I don't think giving Bob a 2 year contract is a bad thing

Is anier only 6months? I thought we had him for the season

When he first signed, Anier said in the press

"This is a great opportunity and hopefully after the six months I can make this move permanent.”

My link

Now, his contract at Viking FK doesn't actually end until December 2014. So whether they'd simply let him go or try and get a bit of cash for him I don't know. If it's cash they're after that pretty much would rule us out. Perhaps they might be happy to just offload him off the wage bill but if he gets into double figures for us by January(and considering he has 3 already it's hardly out of the question) they might want to give him another go or as I say try and use his spell in Scotland to punt him for a wee bit of cash.

It seems he never settled in Norway but he certainly appears to be happy here and enjoying his football. From what we've seen so far I'd quite like us to make it permanent, hopefully he really does feel the same.

With Carswell coming in & doing so well it appears there is no place in the team for Lawson. Does that make Lawson McCall's one bad summer signing? He must be on a fairly decent wage (not great) to make the switch to us & he's just sitting on the bench. Long term replacement for Lasley maybe but certainly at the moment a bit of a waste of a wage.

Any thoughts on were he could fit into the team or is the bench the most he can hope for just now?

Are we really going to sacrifice a balanced team and formation just to play the highest XI earners?

I know a way to fit Lawson in to the team: drop Carswell. Then it's not a bad signing. Oh, but it does ruin a young player's development and tell the squad form is irrelevant, you'll play depending on the size of your salary.

• Like 2

Where do i say we should play the highest earners? Read the post properly tosser! And yes buying someone to sit on the bench is a waste of a wage when we have young players who could easily do that and not cost the club unnecessary funds. Or do you think if it's between a young boy costing 1k to sit on the bench or getting someone in on 3k to sit on the bench then the 3k is well spent?

As i said if you can read he may be a long term replacement for Lasley but right now he is being paid to warm the bench & when he does get on he has 'supporters' telling him he's shite. Whether he's good bad or indifferent he was signed to play in a position that we already have covered which has seen him relegated to the bench and the money could have been better spent elsewhere.

• Like 1

When Lawson signed, I must confess I found it a strange signing given Carswell had not long signed a new deal. Not the priority was my first instinct.

But last season we had four players who could play centre midfield (Law, Lasley, Hateley and Carswell). This season we have three including Lawson (could you include Vigurs there making it four? Not sure). Had we not signed Lawson, we could be pretty thin in midfield. Are there young centre midfielders at the club that are ready to step up that he's keeping off the bench? I don't know. Could have we got a cheaper option had we known Carswell would grasp his opportunity? Possibly but the fact that we have a proven SPL player on the bench will keep Lasley and Carswell on their toes more than a cheaper option, you would hope.

Pretty sure Lawson will contribute plenty in his time here. Let's not complain about having a bit of squad depth..

• Like 1

So deadline day down in England. Surprised that there hasn't been any apparent interest in Hutchinson.

Meanwhile, looks like our neighbours are about to rake in best part of £2.5 mil for McCarthy.

Might let them build the rest of their stadium...

signing a midfielder to sit on the bench isn't a problem if it's someone that has a chance of developing as a player and eventually winning a starting position, i don't see lawson doing that at this stage in his career.

I think we'll look back at him as a panic signing.

I think Lawson will prove to be a solid enough signing and will be needed given that we only have 3 midfielders in squad. Looks to be a wee bit off the pace, not to dissimilar to Jennings in Aug/Sep.

McCall admitted himself however he didn't know much about him until they humped us 3-0.

Would be suprised (but pleased) if Lasley could play up to the level of last season over a full season! So lawson can easily sit in there and can also replace carswell if he is off form! Decent signing and over the long term will be a regular well player for me!

The only critisism you can make of the signing policies is the have not replaced like for like from last season but due to the quality of Law ojaama and Humprey in particular this would be very difficult!

Where do i say we should play the highest earners? Read the post properly tosser! And yes buying someone to sit on the bench is a waste of a wage when we have young players who could easily do that and not cost the club unnecessary funds. Or do you think if it's between a young boy costing 1k to sit on the bench or getting someone in on 3k to sit on the bench then the 3k is well spent?

As i said if you can read he may be a long term replacement for Lasley but right now he is being paid to warm the bench & when he does get on he has 'supporters' telling him he's shite. Whether he's good bad or indifferent he was signed to play in a position that we already have covered which has seen him relegated to the bench and the money could have been better spent elsewhere.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Love you too! :wub:

Do you honestly think McCall signed Lawson knowing he'd be on the bench most weeks? You honestly think McCall would gamble our miniscule budget on an established SPL player who he had no intention of being more than a bench-warmer? No, he was signed to be part of the first-team squad.

You've still not explained to me how we can go through a whole season without Lasley and Carswell going all season without injury, suspension or loss of form. If that's even remotely possible, only then would Lawson be a waste of a wage.

Tell me, who is this young midfielder who would easily be an effective substitute or easily replace Lasley or Carswell in central midfield? Do you know we have one?

I can read fine, thank you very much. You need to chill, man. Did you not disappear in a strop from here for a few months last year when people disagreed with some of your posts?

• Like 1

Can't understand why we wouldn't want cover especially in central midfield as the amount of suspension Lasley had last season was worrying, Lawson will come good, he was in the team of the year last year so lets just give him some time.

Does the argument also mean Neilson is also a waste as Hollis is our number 1.

It's good to have competition for places