2013 - 2014 Ins & Outs

Mad Dog

Almost forgot, my bad!

All this chat of "pacey wingers" had my eyes burning. In the previous 4 years Humphrey has been injured for a fair bit, if he started he played 60 minutes by and large and 30 if he came off the bench (that's when he was in favour, because there were times where he didn't get a look in). Did teams give him extra cover, I think initially yes, but over time with his delivery that dissipated.

He replaced Jim O'Brien who could never be called rapid. Other players to have came in to fill the wing role in the past few years have included Michael McGlinchy, Steve Jones and Omar, again not players who have had much of an impact or you would class as rapid. The only one who you would argue would be Ojamaa but he had a tendency to cut inside and head for goal than the by-line with a whippy cross if he was played deeper than Higdon's partner.

To suggest that the wing position is our missing link, the key to our success doesn't tie in for me. The team as it stands is an assured and experienced mob who on paper should be able to pass the ball from box to box effectively. What's been missing is steel in midfield (high hopes after seeing Carswell on Saturday), eradicating silly mistakes plus upping the understanding, expectation and anticipation between the players.

Almost forgot, my bad!

All this chat of "pacey wingers" had my eyes burning. In the previous 4 years Humphrey has been injured for a fair bit, if he started he played 60 minutes by and large and 30 if he came off the bench (that's when he was in favour, because there were times where he didn't get a look in). Did teams give him extra cover, I think initially yes, but over time with his delivery that dissipated.

He replaced Jim O'Brien who could never be called rapid. Other players to have came in to fill the wing role in the past few years have included Michael McGlinchy, Steve Jones and Omar, again not players who have had much of an impact or you would class as rapid. The only one who you would argue would be Ojamaa but he had a tendency to cut inside and head for goal than the by-line with a whippy cross if he was played deeper than Higdon's partner.

To suggest that the wing position is our missing link, the key to our success doesn't tie in for me. The team as it stands is an assured and experienced mob who on paper should be able to pass the ball from box to box effectively. What's been missing is steel in midfield (high hopes after seeing Carswell on Saturday), eradicating silly mistakes plus upping the understanding, expectation and anticipation between the players.

All that and adding a bit of pace on the wings gives a fairly well balanced squad with options eh no?

To a degree, but I prefer Terry's ethos when it comes to adding players at ICT opposed to McCall's with us.

I may have missed it but what is "Terry's" ethos exactly and how did it work out last season when they got scudded by us a few times and finished 9 points adrift of us? Or even the previous seasons when they were bottom 6?

I don't know a lot about ICT - what's Butcher's ethos? Sign a stack of players and hope some of them turn out to be good? I think there's only a small number of his summer signings are actually getting a game.

We're a slower team in general in midfield and up front than last season so any addition of pace is welcome as it gives us options to vary the play.

I may have missed it but what is "Terry's" ethos

As far as I heard Terry tries to sign like for like. If he loses a big central defender or a forward with pace he will attempt to replace them with a similar type of player. If successful, this will mean that he can play with the same formation and tactics each season. I know fuck all about football tactics or formations, however this seemed to be the general consensus among the radio pundits. So far it has kept them in the top flight, and possibly a top six finish in the SPFL.

As far as I heard Terry tries to sign like for like. If he loses a big central defender or a forward with pace he will attempt to replace them with a similar type of player. If successful, this will mean that he can play with the same formation and tactics each season. I know fuck all about football tactics or formations, however this seemed to be the general consensus among the radio pundits. So far it has kept them in the top flight, and possibly a top six finish in the SPFL.

It has also never seen them finish above us, so I'm happy to stick with the ethos we have.

• Like 1

It has also never seen them finish above us

Here's hoping it stays that way.

The real test will be at the weekend, and whether they can halt a young Hearts team that are fighting to claw back the deducted points. Hearts will take a large support up to Inverness, and may even outnumber the usually poor local crowd.

Almost forgot, my bad!

It was only really the first season while O'Brien was still around that Humphrey played off the bench. After O'Brien left, Humphrey was first choice down the right in our "regular" game plan. According to wikipedia at least, 132 league appearances in 4 years, so that means only missing 20 league games, the majority of which will have been in his first season (assuming it's accurate).

To claim teams stopped double-covering Humphrey is just plain wrong though, if anything, as they became more aware of his pace, and he improved his delivery and decision making, the coverage increased. The problem opposing teams had in the last season and a half though, was that as well as Humphrey, they had to deal with Ojamaa as well, and couldn't cover both. That's why we were so effective last term, as teams just couldn't cover all our pacy attackers. Don't underestimate the effect that Humphrey's presence alone had on opposing teams' tactics.

Sure, it's different this year. We've lost a lot of pace and are very static beyond the half-way line. Is Ainsworth going to single-handedly solve all our problems? No. But he does fill an important role that we have been crying out for. We've been far too slow in attack so far, and this addition should allow us to counter more quickly and deliver balls into the box for our strikers, both of whom are capable of doing damage.

• Like 2

Here's hoping it stays that way.

The real test will be at the weekend, and whether they can halt a young Hearts team that are fighting to claw back the deducted points. Hearts will take a large support up to Inverness, and may even outnumber the usually poor local crowd.

Way too early in the season for 'real tests' IMO. Real tests come at the end of the season which, thankfully, in recent times, we have passed (Scottish Cup Final aside).

Stuart McCall was shocked to learn that the transfer window closes in Scotland two days before other countries, leaving him open to predatory bids.

The Motherwell manager says the arrival of Lionel Ainsworth on loan from Rotherham will be his last signing.

But McCall said: "Someone could make a bid for a player and take him. I think we're open to it.

"It was only a couple of days ago that I realised the deadline. I always thought it was Monday evening."

Transfer window dates are set by world governing body Fifa and most of European leagues will cease summer trading on 2 September.

However, the Scottish FA treats Saturday as a working day, while its counterpart in England does not.

“I would just like to know why it's different and why we aren't the same as most European teams and obviously in England”

Stuart McCall Motherwell manager So, while the SFA decided in April to retain 31 August as its closing date, the FA requested an extension until the next working day, which is Monday.

Had the SFA changed its deadline, it could have opened a loophole that could have been exploited by Rangers, who are banned from registering players until Sunday, 1 September.

"It's not a criticism, but I would just like to know why it's different and why we aren't the same as most European teams and obviously in England," said McCall.

"I got the signing I was wanting. But, I must admit, last week I thought that, if we don't get it done this week, at least we've got Monday.

"It has probably been out there and I didn't realise because you see the countdown on television, but they are always referring to England."

Motherwell, who finished runners-up to Celtic last season, have had a mixed start to the Scottish Premiership season, winning two games and losing two.

However, McCall said: "We're happy with what we've got now and we'll look forward."

He again played down the possibility of re-signing Tom Hateley, the versatile midfielder who rejected the offer of a new contract in the summer.

"Regarding Tom, I think he's been in at a few clubs and he might be close to getting in somewhere," said McCall.

"I'm really surprised at the moment that he hasn't got a club because he did really well for us and was consistent, but I'm sure he'll get in somewhere."

To be fair, they only formed 19 years ago, they've achieved a lot for their short life.

In the short time that they have been around they have done not too badly. In season 1905-6, nineteen years after we were formed we finished joint 9th with Morton. The year before, we finished bottom of the pile with 14 points.

Aye, but none of that has anything to do with the original contention that Butcher's signing ethos is better than McCall's approach.

On that front you would have to concede that McCall is slightly superior. However, I am not sure how both teams transfer/wage budgets compare, as you would need to take that into consideration.

In the short time that they have been around they have done not too badly. In season 1905-6, nineteen years after we were formed we finished joint 9th with Morton. The year before, we finished bottom of the pile with 14 points.

There's a stark contrast between now and then, now there's much more money, and id say Inverness have more than us.

id say Inverness have more than us.

I wouldn’t have thought that Inverness would have a much larger budget than us. I would guess that our budgets would be pretty similar. However, I think we have the advantage of playing in the central belt, as I reckon the highland location may put some players off moving to Caley.

1377853732[/url]' post='394844']

the sfa made an arse of handing out the embargo to rangers because they didn't account for the window shutting on the monday. Because of that every club gets shafted.

No, the SFA made an arse of the embargo as they didn't account for them convincing players to 'not sign' for clubs this summer thus making them deliberate free agents.

On that front you would have to concede that McCall is slightly superior. However, I am not sure how both teams transfer/wage budgets compare, as you would need to take that into consideration.

We have a larger budget than Inverness. It must also be harder to convince players to join Inverness due to the location. It's a long commute from central Scotland, never mind England.

I still rate Terry Butcher as the best Motherwell manager since Tommy McLean. It was Terry Butcher's donkey work that set up our recent consistent spell of Top 6 finishes. He worked miracles with no money when other clubs were still splashing the cash around, his cup record was superb and he brought in probably the best outfield player we've had at the club in the last ten years, Scott McDonald.

His five years at the club were the foundation for everything every manager since then has achieved.

• Like 3