2013 - 2014 Ins & Outs

Mad Dog

I'll try again. Disappointed in the fact that again we will be looking at losing a very good player who will go on to play at a higher level without the chance to put some cash back into the club. I understand that he needs to look after himself and his family absolutely no dispute with that at all. If he knew that he would be moving I would rather players just put in a request to go and the club got a bit of cash for them. End of.

The "fuck him" part comes from the fact we now have another player that we know won't be here next year and a window in Jan to try and see if we can bring in a suitable player. I don't begrudge anybody in any walk of life from making any choice that suits them best, but I do want whats best for Motherwell FC and on this occasion him going for peanuts or a free transfer is not whats best for the club.

Always a difficult one for the club to balance. Very much a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation.

All very well saying we never sold at the optimum time, but what if the offers for him were paltry? As they were viewed to be for Hutchinson in the summer of 2012. If they sold then I would expect to come on here see the club lambasted for that too and read stuff about them lacking ambition and foresight, that another good season could have seen his value grow etc.

What if the player doesn't want to go and is happy to see out his contract? If he doesn't want to commit one way or the other until a certain stage then there isn't much the club can do about it.

Stepping back I'd say Hutchinson's move is a year, perhaps two years overdue if he is to realise the potential many saw in him when he first made himself a regular in the team. I'm intrigued to see whether he can step up a level but I'd say he's hit something of a ceiling in his development and an opportunity in a different league against different players won't do him any harm at all.

Kerr Ramsden McManus Hammell

I'm not panicking about this...

Indeed.

Kerr gives me a slight degree of the fear, but full back is where some of the best centre halves have learned their trades. I can't help but feel that a centre half pairing of McManus and Ramsden would be rock solid as well.

Selling Hutchinson would appear to be highly likely now, since the early Scottish Cup exit means loss of that source of income.

Who else on the roster might become likely assets to sell? Changes to the roster during the January transfer window would seem to be a major task for the management this year.

With our season virtually over it makes sense now to sell him in January. Hutchie's been a cracking defender but i think we can cope with Ramsden and McManus in central defence and Kerr at right back. We really need to move about 5 players on as we're carrying too many passengers. <_>

Just out of interest do we not have 3 others on 6 month loans.........Stephen McManus, Henri Anier and Lionel Ainsworth. With the loss of revenue today what happens to them?

McManus is on a 1 year permanent deal, the other two are loans until January. I don't know what the differences are now in terms of the rewards for league positions in comparison to the SPL but you are right there is now a question for the club to consider with no scope for further revenue from either Cup.

Do we retain the likes of Ainsworth and Anier, or source replacements in January in an attempt to finish as high as possible, or do we run with the remaining squad, utilise the Erwin's, Moore's and Leitch's of the squad, see where we end up and potentially leave those guys better prepared for next season.

I tend to agree Sieb, but it's a very difficult call for the club to make.

It's just one of the unneccesary consequences that adds to the strong dislike I have about moving the Scottish Cup so far forward - the potential to kill a team's season off five or six weeks earlier than previous if you lose.

In the past there was always that to look forward to at the turn of the year if your team was having an indifferent season. By a week on Wednesday you'll have a stack of teams that are effectively playing out time for last 6 months of the season. They won't win a league, won't be relegated, there is no selling point for fans to turn up.

Do we retain the likes of Ainsworth and Anier, or source replacements in January in an attempt to finish as high as possible, or do we run with the remaining squad, utilise the Erwin's, Moore's and Leitch's of the squad, see where we end up and potentially leave those guys better prepared for next season.

I agree Hutchinson will be sold now. Ainsworth should leave as I think he's been dire every time I've seen him.

Anier hasn't really convinced me either but he does have 5 goals which given the paucity of our offensive play this term is something to consider. I'd probably try and keep him due to his proven ability to bag a goal or two but I think developing Moore and Erwin is also important.

I would let all players who's contracts are up in January go, and go with our younger players. We may struggle but it would have long term benefits hopefully. As for McFadden if he is out of contract in January he doesn't deserve a new contract I'm afraid to say.

The big thing yesterday has cost us is any bargaining tool for Hutch now! If we'd won and had the chance of an easier tie or a big tv game we might have been able to resist derisory bids and get £100k-£150k for him. Now? Every cunt knows were skint and now desperate for anything,therefore I fully expect him to join Rangers or some league 1 team for £50k max

Ainsworth and Anier can head back to their clubs anytime.

I suspect someone will take McManus off our hands in Jan. he's done well enough although not the leader I anticipated.

With little to play for we can't afford to pay a decent wage to him any longer.

Sadly, I think we'll be toiling to offload the Dingwall duds.

I would let all players who's contracts are up in January go, and go with our younger players. We may struggle but it would have long term benefits hopefully. As for McFadden if he is out of contract in January he doesn't deserve a new contract I'm afraid to say.

I'm all for young players getting a chance but we can't field a team like Hearts where they are almost all youngsters.

We need to have an experienced frame around the young players.

What I want to see though is more young players given more chances, not picking out two or three and ignoring the rest.

I absolutely believe you do not know a young players worth until he plays first team football and we have almost entire U20 teams leave the club without ever getting a sniff. That is wrong.

I'm all for young players getting a chance but we can't field a team like Hearts where they are almost all youngsters.

We need to have an experienced frame around the young players.

What I want to see though is more young players given more chances, not picking out two or three and ignoring the rest.

I absolutely believe you do not know a young players worth until he plays first team football and we have almost entire U20 teams leave the club without ever getting a sniff. That is wrong.

t

We still have Lasley, Hammell,Ramsden,McManus and Sutton who are experienced but maybe Kerr Cummings Moore McHugh and Erwin amongst others could benefit from more 1st team action